Pre-IB/MYP Section?

Addy

I was actually surprised to not see a section for Pre-IBers and MYP students when I first joined. (Middle Years Program, grades 7-10, for those that might not know)

It would be extremely useful, both in providing advice and in promoting discussions about projects. The Personal Project by itself is a huge topic. From just choosing a suitable topic, to actually carrying it out and writing the final reflection, it's an incredibly confusing and harried process for most people I know. Wouldn't it be useful to have a forum dedicated to young IBers? Then there's also things like IAs and Museum Projects for History, not to mention ISPs for English. I'm not 100% sure if these projects are common to all MYP students, but at my school at least, there was a lot of confusion over these as well.

I've seen quite a few topics by pre-IBers seeking advice on course selections, a topic on the Personal Project, and just questions about IB in general, and the decision of whether or not to join it.

What do you guys think? My points might be biased, because I only know the condition of MYP students at my own school, so feel free to point them out. XD

Hmm, I guess its not a bad idea after all.

But I think the main reason we dont have it here is because there aren't many students around that do the Pre-IB/MYP thing so I dont know if its going to be that active.

Besides, I dont think there will be lots of people who can provide help, at least not as much as the help provided in the IB Diploma forums we currently have.

The only help we seem to be able to provide is advice on the choice of subjects for the IBD program.

But most of us dont know much about the things required on the pre-IB program.

• Like 2

Hmm, I guess its not a bad idea after all.

But I think the main reason we dont have it here is because there aren't many students around that do the Pre-IB/MYP thing so I dont know if its going to be that active.

Besides, I dont think there will be lots of people who can provide help, at least not as much as the help provided in the IB Diploma forums we currently have.

The only help we seem to be able to provide is advice on the choice of subjects for the IBD program.

But most of us dont know much about the things required on the pre-IB program.

I agree, my school started the MYP the year after I finished Grade 10, and there are more IB Diploma schools in the world than there are MYP ones. Some schools (and I would think most schools) only offer the Diploma program, and not together with the MYP.

Perhaps tehre could be a separate subforum created for MYP, if there are a few people on here that are in it.

There doesn't seem to be a demand for MYP discussion but that may simply be an issue of there being nowhere to discuss MYP so people don't talk about them. But we are considering it. Perhaps after all the upgrades and the forum is stable (we keep saying that I know.) we may open up a new subforum for MYP discussion. The only thing is I don't know how many people are actually doing MYP so you may find it a bit deserted.

• 1 month later...

^^

I completely understand your side of the argument however is it not possible to have one thread (if not a subforum) where current Pre-Ibers and MYPers can ask mini-questions about their school work? I don't mind offering help to those who need it since I have completed the MYP myself.

Thanks.

^^

I completely understand your side of the argument however is it not possible to have one thread (if not a subforum) where current Pre-Ibers and MYPers can ask mini-questions about their school work? I don't mind offering help to those who need it since I have completed the MYP myself.

Thanks.

If you see other pre-IBers, you are welcome to send them a private message and ask them to show their support here, if they think it's a good idea :P.

• 7 months later...

I'm a pre-IBer (currently in Y10), but my school doesn't offer the MYP (although the primary school section does offer PYP). Instead, we do GCSEs/IGCSEs. But we do incorporate various IB-style elements into the course, such as more oral presentations and focus on self-research. Anyhow, I would love a subforum for pre-IBers just so that we the people destined for disaster and despair can maybe talk about worries and subject choices and whatnot ;) Which would definitely be cool!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think that a section for anyone going in IB would be excellent. Not specific to any certain program taken before IB as in my school Pre-IB is just our PSP curriculi combined with MYP texts used sometimes and IB elements in the course. It would be excellent to have a place to talk about worries and concerns, etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm in PreIB. Yeah, a preIB subforum would be a good idea, especially if the graduate IBs and current IBs could give them some good feedback and advice for their diploma studies if they wish to do so.

• Like 1

It would be nice to be able to just talk about the pre-DP program and give each other helpful tips. It would also make sense to discuss IB1&IB2 subject choices in the pre-DP sub-forum seeing as you make your choices during the pre-DP year.

I don't know how similar the pre-DP program is around the world in relation to the DP-program, but there must surely be enough similarities to motivate the creation of a new sub-forum.

Edited by Fish

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

guys don't revive old threads please. start a new topic if it's dead. the people who posted in here haven't done so in a year!

we've established from this thread that if you want such a section, you need to get us the names of active users, and sign some form of petition what ever! I'm locking the thread as it will go off topic as it already has with posts about the injustice of PYP/MYP.