How to do well in HL Biology.

Mahuta ♥

I was going to ask one thing which do you think recommend the OXFORD revision guide or Heinemann Higher Biology? I heard Heinemann was excellent.

I think this one was excellent http://www.amazon.co.uk/IB-Study-Guide-Biology-Diploma/dp/0199151431/ref=pd_sim_b_3/275-6660704-9258515 . Great pictures, and all the examples given in the syllabus could be found there.

Personally, I liked this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-IB-Diploma-C-Clegg/dp/034092652X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245004765&sr=1-3

It's really colourful and detailed with most things, although I'd venture to say that in some areas it goes OVERLY detailed. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading this for the colour and the explanations. XD Only other downside I'd have to mention is that it's rather costly (but worth it!), and the Options and Topic 1 (Stats and etc.) are only on the CD that comes with it, so if you're like me and can't stand reading something on a huge pdf. file on the computer, you're going to have to print it, and printing that much stuff in colour will be pretty costly anyway. =/ Oh well.

My Biology HL teacher doesn't really teach us but instead gives us a million readings and online quizzes to do as assignments, as well as other written assignments. Then he gives us a test at the end of each unit, so we're responsible for learning everything, even though he might give one or two "lectures" (or as he calls it, "preaching" or "mumbling") on the basic introductory stuff or super hard HL/Options stuff regarding the unit. I think that it's a pretty efficient way of learning; you really have to get into it and learn everything for yourself, instead of just having somebody blabbing at you for hours on end about it. :)

• Like 1

With me, despite the fact that I love Biology, my biology teacher that had taught me for 4 years was a main factor for me loving it more. I never considered it blabbing because he always made sure we participate and we often discuss and talk about TOK issues, despite that, we got through 90% of the syllabus in the first year with great confidence and understanding.

I personally see it important to have a teacher giving you the lesson first. He never spoon fed us either, he just gave us the lecture and then gave us pop-quizzes the WHOLE time, which is why I got used to studying the whole time.

I used both the Oxford Study Guide and the Heinemann Higher Level Biology. I found that they were both very good. I have another recommendation apart from all the things that Mahuta said. I prepared my own "study guide" including all the definitions and drawings you have to know. It is very useful for revision since you have them all together and you can read them anytime without having to go to the book. Also, try to take down notes from all the markschemes you get as you will know what the IB wants you to answer for that specific question (especially for Section B of Paper 2 aka Essay-type questions).

G'luck!

P.S I'm willing to help anyone that is having trouble with Biology. Just message me or ask for my MSN! (also for Chemistry SL)

• Like 2

When did you officially start revisions? Also, which is harder: recalling information or understanding concepts?
We've covered about 70% of the material, but I feel like I only have an adequate understanding of the material. I can spew facts right and left, but I don't know about big picture stuff.

Recalling information!
Once you've learnt all the information, I think that the concepts become easy because how it all works slots into place. The major mark scoring goes on for the information though, not the concepts. Ideally you need both, of course.
The only place it's important to know concepts for would be data response. If you don't understand what something's about or why they do it well enough, you won't be able to pick up on the biological thing you'll need to explain the data/experiment you're shown.

That's just my opinion.

For learning concepts (as in.. how whole systems work?) I found writing them out over and over and condensing them into a page was helpful. I had respiration and photosynthesis each on either side of a cereal packet by the end biggrin.gif

When did you officially start revisions? Also, which is harder: recalling information or understanding concepts?

We've covered about 70% of the material, but I feel like I only have an adequate understanding of the material. I can spew facts right and left, but I don't know about big picture stuff.

I dont have official starting, I always revise bio, I just revise 'more' before exams, that is about a month before exams so that I have time to ask teachers everytime i recall something I dont understand.

You have covered 70% which is good for the first year I guess, if I were you, I would go over the things you covered, and make sure you really understand everything about them and most importantly go over the syllabus and ask about ANY point you are not sure about, even if you understand it a little bit, ask to make sure you understand it fully. You can ask in the thread I linked in the first post. You will be amazed at how important that very small obj.1 point was in the syllabus as it is sometimes as important as a big concept in paper 1! One mark could be a difference between a 6 and a 7, what I am saying is, dont leave any chance of you losing a mark!

You will not regret it XD. You have a long summer dont waste it. :D

Just a question. I really do enjoy Biology and all that revolves around it henche why I'm doing it, but I'm dreading the lab reports and the portfolio work or IA whatever you call it? Was it that much of a pain for you guys or did you enjoy it and also are the IAs were much and count much towards your final grade? Share your thoughts please. Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I got a 6 in biology, not a 7, which urges me to make a BIG ADVISE CALL!

YOUR PRACTICALS! Although they're only 24% they can bring you down frmo a 7 to a 6 just like it happened to me. So seriously garuntee your 7 not just by studying but by killing yourselves for your practicals.

• Like 1

Ok so I got a 6 in biology, not a 7, which urges me to make a BIG ADVISE CALL!

YOUR PRACTICALS! Although they're only 24% they can bring you down frmo a 7 to a 6 just like it happened to me. So seriously garuntee your 7 not just by studying but by killing yourselves for your practicals.

Sometimes, it's not within your control though. I was predicted 48/48 for IAs... yet they were somehow marked down enough to give me a 6 in chemistry?? That, or paper 3, I have no idea.

Moral: study very hard and work very hard XD

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering what Higher Lever Biology was like. I took Pre-IB Bio in Freshman year and liked it a lot, so I decided that I would take it as an HL, but I've heard some things and now I'm wondering whether it was a bad choice or if I rushed into it without thinking it through.

It's hard to say exactly what it's like, but IMO its main features include a lot of content learning. Otherwise I'd say it is a reasonably relaxed course. Provided you have the ability to understand it, and the dedication to put into memorising rather a lot of stuff right before the exam, it's probably the easiest of the sciences in terms of application. If you work closely with the syllabus, you'll be fine :D

Perhaps if you clarified what "some things" are, people could allay or explain your concerns a little bit better. Is there anything in particular you were worried about?

It's hard to say exactly what it's like, but IMO its main features include a lot of content learning. Otherwise I'd say it is a reasonably relaxed course. Provided you have the ability to understand it, and the dedication to put into memorising rather a lot of stuff right before the exam, it's probably the easiest of the sciences in terms of application. If you work closely with the syllabus, you'll be fine :P

Perhaps if you clarified what "some things" are, people could allay or explain your concerns a little bit better. Is there anything in particular you were worried about?

I've heard that the class isn't worth taking because it's too hard and there's a lot of work. At my school, apparently there is a really bad teacher that isn't good at getting you through the exams.

Yes but sometimes you can reduce the chance of having your grade pushed down by making sure your practicals are perfect.

Yes but sometimes you can reduce the chance of having your grade pushed down by making sure your practicals are perfect.

Perfect practicals (labs) are near impossible from what I've heard and experienced. Aboo's was moderated down 20 marks or something, and mine was dropped from 43 out of 48 to 26, meaning I got a 4 in my practical instead of a 7. There are no example lab reports from the IB that I've heard of, and I don't even know on what basis they're marked. I included lots of background research in mine, went into detailed evaluation of problems and solutions to them if the experiment was to be repeated, explained why certain results were obtained and other possibile outcomes didn't happen and still ended up with a low mark. Maybe it comes down to luck and how much the examiner likes the kind of experiments you did (not that you can influence those much).

Like most kids in the US, I take will take the AP bio test adjacent to my IB exam.

I have several books from IB revision guides, to actual course companions.

I was reviewing today, and I wanted to slap myself, the teacher, and everyone else around me :P!

The only book that actually got me to understand cellular respiration, to the point of manipulation of information and aiding complete fulfillment of understanding, was "5 steps to a 5". This is an AP review book, but no one does it better than they do.

I also took economics. I would suggest this FOR SURE if you have econ as your class also. Their book is amazing.

I am tired of looking at stupid books and guides, so I am also going out ot get the chemistry one.

the mitochondrial functions were so well done, and the overall process of what is important was covered. However for specifics, youtube videos would do much better with depth. Its a great review, even for IB exams.

• Like 1