Biology extended essays - Topic?

Guest yeemonkyaw

what about if i wanted to test the effect of virus's on bacteria and see if viruses can be used as an alternative to antibiotics?

Your major problem would be that this experiment would be very difficult without hightech equipment and moreover, as with anything involving viruses/bacteria (ESPECIALLY human ones) very dangerous and unpredictable. Obviously this is bad from a personal safety point of view and it's safe to say the IBO frown on this kind of thing. At best you'd be able to do "does this virus affect this bacteria?" using two things well-known to have absolutely no dangerous effects in humans, but certainly you'd never be able to actually give it to somebody and see if it can act as a physiological alternative to antibiotics!!

You want to pick a topic which you can actually do a viable experiment for and which isn't potentially dangerous!

• 3 weeks later...

I have chosen to do my extended essay in biology, and mainly human physiology. My supervisor suggested the effect of food additives on the body. I am quite interested by that, and I don't need to do an experiment, but do you think that it is a sufficient title? and how could I narrow it down? also, are there any topics doable in human physiology other than the effect of food additives? thank you!

• 5 months later...

hi...

my EE question is 'What is the effect of the increased percentage of potassium nitrate(KNO3) and magnesium sulfate ( MgSO4•7H2O) on the amount of oxygen released during photosynthesis by the Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) plant?'

can someone tell me if this is a good topic for me to get high marks??

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time choosing my topic. I have plenty of time but I want to finish of with my EE this year.

I spoke to my supervisor and she has made it extremely clear that I have to collect 'LOTS AND LOTS OF DATA' and I can't do experiments on/ regarding the Human Physiology. Experiments on pea plants have been discouraged. I thought of various experiments testing photosynthesis but it is way too easy. I am looking for a complicated experiment that agrees to the terms that I mentioned above. Experiments with enzymes are ok. I really need help. Thank you :punish:

I'm having a hard time choosing my topic. I have plenty of time but I want to finish of with my EE this year.

I spoke to my supervisor and she has made it extremely clear that I have to collect 'LOTS AND LOTS OF DATA' and I can't do experiments on/ regarding the Human Physiology. Experiments on pea plants have been discouraged. I thought of various experiments testing photosynthesis but it is way too easy. I am looking for a complicated experiment that agrees to the terms that I mentioned above. Experiments with enzymes are ok. I really need help. Thank you :P

Don't try to complicate yourself! just because an experiment is easy doesn't mean you are going to get a low mark... have you read the previous responses to this topic?? if not, i think the first three could help you.

I spoke to my supervisor and she has made it extremely clear that I have to collect 'LOTS AND LOTS OF DATA' and I can't do experiments on/ regarding the Human Physiology. Experiments on pea plants have been discouraged. I thought of various experiments testing photosynthesis but it is way too easy. I am looking for a complicated experiment that agrees to the terms that I mentioned above. Experiments with enzymes are ok. I really need help. Thank you :D

Don't try to complicate yourself! just because an experiment is easy doesn't mean you are going to get a low mark... have you read the previous responses to this topic?? if not, i think the first three could help you.

By easy I mean:

Th topic is Photosynthesis and showing how plants require sunlight, water and carbon dioxide and they give out oxygen. It's 2nd Grade science. I can't do it.

I was also looking at the effect of magnetism on plant growth and enzyme inhibition.

What do you think of these?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys. I should have already told my TOK teacher which topics im doing for my EE yesterday. I gave in "the role plastic surgery plays in body dysmorphic disorder." I really don't like this topic because I can't really do an experiment, I can only take statistics. Do guys have any good ideas that don't include plants? The topic can be about anything in Biology. I was thinking about something like how a certain enzyme differently affects some of the bonds? I really dont no. HELP PLEASE!

• 3 months later...

HI, Im only in my fist year of HL bio and they have us starting our extended essays. Im really interested in cancer and genetic diseases, but unsure of what my topic should be and how i would be able to experiment and gather data for it. Im afraid i do not know enough about biology to do a good topic. Any ideas on some topics I can do for my paper that will be in depth enough as well as manageable.

HI, Im only in my fist year of HL bio and they have us starting our extended essays. Im really interested in cancer and genetic diseases, but unsure of what my topic should be and how i would be able to experiment and gather data for it. Im afraid i do not know enough about biology to do a good topic. Any ideas on some topics I can do for my paper that will be in depth enough as well as manageable.

As a rule, anything involving topics like cancer and genetic diseases will involve knowledge and experimental equipment/labs etc. far above that of a school project. Unless you have close links with a University or other research Biology department (I do know somebody who was able to do an EE on genetics this way, via a close friend working in a University, so it's still a possibility if you have the correct connections), you won't be able to get an experiment out of this. It would be best to find something more accessible given the fact you're just in a school lab.

For the sake of a good mark, it's often worth looking at doing something straight-forward and safe -- off the syllabus perhaps.

As a rule, anything involving topics like cancer and genetic diseases will involve knowledge and experimental equipment/labs etc. far above that of a school project. Unless you have close links with a University or other research Biology department (I do know somebody who was able to do an EE on genetics this way, via a close friend working in a University, so it's still a possibility if you have the correct connections), you won't be able to get an experiment out of this. It would be best to find something more accessible given the fact you're just in a school lab.

For the sake of a good mark, it's often worth looking at doing something straight-forward and safe -- off the syllabus perhaps.

Do you have any ideas of what I could do. Im not really sure how to conduct an experiment for things other than plants and that seems very unoriginal. I was considering the effects of acid rain on plants but i dont know where I would go with that.

Do you have any ideas of what I could do. Im not really sure how to conduct an experiment for things other than plants and that seems very unoriginal. I was considering the effects of acid rain on plants but i dont know where I would go with that.

Well if this helps, I'm doing my EE on sleep. And I'm actually conducting the experiments on myself. lol. hahahahaha

Maybe you could do something similar.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I really want to do my EE on biology, I was thinking about doing it on the rate of plant growth when using contraceptive pills as fertilizers, but there isn't many reliable sources to depend on.

Therefore I was thinking about doing it on a topic about animals, I would really appreciate if anyone had some examples or ideas of biology topics regarding animals.

Thanks! :)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.... well im starting the IB and wanted to think about my EE and I wish to do an EE in biology. I had a few ideas though there just general topics which interest me... for example i want to take different students from different year groups and have a fake reaction test. Then leave the room to "photocopy" something leaving a bowl of sweats with them in the room. I wish to determine how the subjects react at different ages... is this idea good for an EE or should i try something els... Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...