Biology extended essays - Topic?

Guest yeemonkyaw

I am planning to do my EE on biology and have "How does the nutrient levels of water affect the respiration rates of fish" as my research question. I would, of course, keep the amount of water used as the habitat and the amount of fish and the type of fish as my controlled variable and would change the nutrient levels in the water. Would this be a good idea or would it be too easy? help please I need to give my EE supervisor candidate an answer if I want him to be my actual supervisor! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'll will be starting my extended essay in the following months. I chose biology as my subject area. To be honest, I thought I had lots of cool ideas, until my biology teacher told me my proposals were suitable only for internal assessments. My research questions included things like the frequency of e-coli in cafeteria food, the efficiency of antibacterial gel after a period of time, and a comparison on pulmonary function (spirometry) between smokers and non-smokers. It would be awesome if someone could give me some advise on how to choose a good research question, based on the some area (eg. ecology)

hoolaa

can any1 suggest for a biology extended essays which is doable in the school lab itself?

Here you go, some classical IB ones tongue.gif

- The Competitive and Evolutionary Nature of the Symbiotic Relationship in Paramecium.

- Gel Electrophoresis. The Construction of an Apparatus and the Separation of Proteins in Heat Treated Cow Milk.

But here are some suggestions that I came up with:

- Production of Monoclonal Antibodies through Hybridoma Technology to treat Mutant Myeloma Cells. (I know this is fancy more than it sounds, but basically this can be done with mice. If you take Biology HL, then you're actually familiar with it from Topic 10.. Through injecting the mouse with antigens and extracting B-cells from the spleen...etc). You could also do the same thing to diagnose pregnancy by producing the pregnancy test through identification of HCG hormone instead of the first proposal.

- Studying the effect of psychoactive drugs on the urination patterns, reflexes and/or other patterns of mice.

- Studying the effect of food additives on the digestive system and the body as a whole.

Hope this has helped. biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! So I am starting my EE in Bio, but all these ideas that I have had so far have not been EE material type... My supervisor said that they were either quantitative and not qualitative or were too broad/narrow... Can anyone please suggest a topic that would be interesting- like in physiology or something to do with growth. At this point, I would be glad to take in any ideas! (:

Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I'm thinking about doing my EE on fungi growth. My idea is comparing how determinant is an environment rich in nutrients for fungi growth in comparison to other determinant conditions like moisture levels or temperature range. I just wanted to have someone's opinion in this. Is is too complicated or too simple? I don't know much about fungi, so will it be too dificult to carry out the writing?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Hi

I was thinking of doing my bio EE on nutrition level of different types of food but live testing (lab rats) are not allowed in my school. Could someone kindly advise me on how to embark on my experiment?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Is this a good topic for my Biology Extended Essay

- I want to do my topic either on nutrition or sleep, and how it will effect students in a normal school week while still maintaining efficiency, emotional and social stability, and healthiness.

They are good ideas. However, the problem arises when you are thinking of the methods of collecting data. How will you measure the effects of sleep or nutrition on students? How will you maintain the points you have mentioned? Would you have sufficient number of students for reliable results? All these factors should be taken into consideration.

From your topic ideas, you seem interested with the human body. Luckily, you could do many investigations regarding this! For example, you could measure reaction rates before and after doing something, or maybe a memorization test using different kinds of music? These are just from the top of my head :P I suggest you take a look at previous Biology EE's.. they may inspire you :D Best of luck!!

• 5 months later...

Hi!

I'm gonna do my extended essay in biology. I was thinking about doing that on nutrition. What do you think about measuring and comparing the amount of calories in different foods before and after cooking? For not being too simple, if possible to measure the amount of protein and etc...
I really need help and would appreciate any ideas and thoughts.
Thanks!

• 5 years later...
On 9/1/2007 at 9:00 PM, Guest duchene said:

i had an idea for an ee when i already had the results of mine. i ta has a lot to do with chemistry but i think it can work real good with bio. Its to use the enzimes in chiken liver which ir realy easy to get and use them to perform the decomposition of some chemical. the idea would be to change some of the conditions in which the enzime works. its very simple and you could get some pretty nice resuts.

May you please elaborate on this? I think I’m interested in doing it.

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2007 at 3:05 PM, Enter Sandman said:

Yeah, exactly. If you want to experiment on a living animal species though, the easiest option is to do them on humans, like I did ;)

HEY!

Sorry may I ask you which topic did you chose and do?

I am in the first class which is doing the IB at our school so I have no clue what I could chose as topic for EE in Biology, have any of you an idea?

I had an idea about Vitamin B12 on the vegan diet, but I have no idea which experiment I could do... Also because our laboratory at school isn't that equipped...

• 2 years later...