IB Textbooks?

Addy

I'm starting the Diploma program next year, and want to study a bit in advance during the summer, so as to get a head start.

Ideally, I should've asked my counsellor, but school's over now, and I need some suggestions for textbooks to study from.

So, help please?

My courses are:

HL English

HL History

HL French

HL Math

SL Economics

SL Chemistry

Thanks in advance~

Our school gave us a sheet where they gave us books if ever someone desired to seek for a head start. For Chemistry maybe buy the Heinemann Advanced - Science Chemistry.

For History we've been told that 'The European Dictatorships by Stepehen Lee and Europe Since 1870 by James Joll are good books.

For Maths I've been told the IBID book is great, better than the H&H.

For English I guess reading classics such as Wuthering Heights, Tess of D'Ubervilles and Oliver Twist is good.

French anything will do. Just learn Grammar and stuff. But a better way to enjoy is to listen to French Music and look up the lyrics and the meanings of particular words. Or go on the Itune's Store and look at Podcasts from France.

My school doesn't offer Economics so I don't know.

I know, I was hoping the members on this forum could suggest which ones helped them learn the best.

I guess I should specify - my goal isn't so much to learn the whole curriculum over the summer, but rather to get a good understanding of the main topics that I'll be learning, so that I won't flounder so much in some of the more difficult subjects (like HL Math).

Ultimately though, the exams are the same right? So all the different textbooks should cover all the information we need to know.

Help please guys?

Did you even skim over my post? For all subjects different books are fine since they're aimed at teaching towards the IB Curriculum. A good way to stay focused and not stray or waste time is to look at the Syllabus which you can get from this site. The Maths syllabus seems to me to be very conscice.

Did you even skim over my post? For all subjects different books are fine since they're aimed at teaching towards the IB Curriculum. A good way to stay focused and not stray or waste time is to look at the Syllabus which you can get from this site. The Maths syllabus seems to me to be very conscice.

Sorry about that. Your reply wasn't up yet when I was typing mine up.

Your suggestions are a huge help. Thank you so much!

And I'll go take a look at those Syllabuses (or is it Syllabi?) right now.

Thanks again. ;)

In all honesty, looking at the Subject Guides for each of your classes is one of the best things you can do period. When it comes down to exam time, that was one of the few things I was using to study. It will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know for any given class.

History HL, which track and regional option are you doing?

I did HL History of the Americas and the Heinmann Cold War textbook was amazing and very helpful. I liked the way it was divided and it was colorful and when you were reading the text it was almost hard to summarize because all the information seemed important and crucial... so I highly recommend it.

Well unless you contact your IBC and find out the books you are doing in English then you can't really prepare for English HL.

For Chemistry I would recommend getting the 'Chemistry for use with the IB Diploma Programme SL' textbook by Pearson Education, it's extremely helpful and lists syllabus points as you go so it's easier when revising and making study notes.

For History, as stated above, it depends on what route you are doing. We are doing History of Europe plus our secondary region is Asia. The hodder education books on the French Revolution and 20th Century China are both quite good I thought.