Help, I Am (insert expletive)ed

Hey guys, I'm just about to start my final semester of IB, and I'm doing a 6 subject load. The IA's are killing me.

I've got the EE, TOK essay, a couple more written papers, and oral preparation for English and my second language... most due in the next couple-a weeks ...but I still have one week of holidays to do them all. Ha-ha!

Any self motivation pointers out there? Because I'm in one of those apathy zones and if I don't get out of it soon (spending way too much time on the internet) I'm going to fail.

Help!

lastminuteman (the username is coming more and more true every day)

That's odd that your EE is due at the beginning of the year, mine wasn't due until they had to be mailed off. There are a couple of moments like that through out IB where you have a lot of things due at once. If you don't have enough time to do everything well, just prioritize and BS the things that matter less to you.

Prioritise! EE and TOK combined = 3 points straight off, so go for them first. Leave oral preparation for last because you can invent that and it counts for less, proportionately.

I did the same thing as you but my only motivation was the deadline :) It was pretty awful. Chin up and if I were you, I'd do things in little drafts. Like draft your TOK essay and your EE and keep updating them in small chunks because nothing on earth except perhaps a long slow painful death (ignoring that this is a synonym for IB) can motivate you to do one of those in a single day! They just sit like massive evil hurdles on the horizon and you never do any of it. At least I never did :P

I also found rewarding myself with bits of Terry's Chocolate Orange fattening but strangely fulfilling. :)

I don't know if this applies to you, but I see some teachers expecting me to make poor grades on certain things. I know some of my peers think I'll drop out of certain classes or break down from pressure or whatnot. My motivation comes from wanting to prove them wrong. It's kind of like a "Me vs. The World" attitude, and it's helpful if you're in control. Just don't get depressed! heh

Sandwich offers some really good advice. The biggest obstacle for me is starting work. I save this when I have a lot of steam to blow off. Haha

Hope you used your break wisely!

Yes, prioritise and make a plan. Do some ToK, then write your EE and then go back to them later and prepare your oral in the meantime.

Do NOT procrastinate, stick to your planning (but make sure to take breaks, eat and sleep). For your IOP, make some notes and try to have a decent structure and practise it a couple of times.

Aslo, learn from your mistakes and don't leave everything to the last minute again. XD