Maths HL; many worries?

sungylim

my school has never been an IB school before and starting few days back, we entered the IB program.

Even though it's going to be as hard as what I've been hearing from my friends overseas, what makes it worse is my maths HL teacher.

He's known to grade really tough on his students and sometimes he just gives out questions that the students never even learned about in class.

If my school GPA decreases due to his rough grading system and psychotic teaching curriculum, would my transcript for my college applications look "bad"??

I'm posting this up in the Mathematics section because the school i want to apply to in the future requires me to receive either a 6 or 7 in the IB examinations.

Edited by sungylim

Is the teacher for Math HL and Math SL different? Personally, I wouldn't let myself be deterred by a bad teacher, but if you feel that you need a high GPA or something, unless you can explain a lower score to the uni, then perhaps you should try for SL instead.

my school has never been an IB school before and starting few days back, we entered the IB program.

Even though it's going to be as hard as what I've been hearing from my friends overseas, what makes it worse is my maths HL teacher.

He's known to grade really tough on his students and sometimes he just gives out questions that the students never even learned about in class.

If my school GPA decreases due to his rough grading system and psychotic teaching curriculum, would my transcript for my college applications look "bad"??

I'm posting this up in the Mathematics section because the school i want to apply to in the future requires me to receive either a 6 or 7 in the IB examinations.

From where I stand, it seems like your teacher is just doing his job! It's bad that he's grading you on questions he hasn't taught you to do, but I'd rather have a really tough teacher who makes me work profusely than a really easy teacher. You can still make an A and maintain your GPA, no matter how hard it is. I've found that the really hard/intimidating teachers are much more approachable after class or after school. Perhaps going to them outside of class time with questions and concerns makes them feel like you truly care about the class [or your grade hah]

It's better to get a B in an advanced class than an A in a regular class as far as I know. Universities see that you're willing to put yourself in jeopardy and that you're going the 'extra mile' or whatever. [i live in the US, by the way.]

Advice: Look at the IB syllabus for your class and see if there's anything he hasn't taught. That might be where he's getting the random questions from. Also, I might be mistaken, but I think you said school just started... give it some more time before you do anything rash.

Best of luck!

I pretty much agree with the poster above.

Just to give you a little personal story:

I started out in Maths SL(now doing HL, because everyone has to take SL first year at my school) and usually got 5's and 6's, mostly 5's though. I always was under the expression that my teacher marked me(and everyone else) very strictly. But nevertheless, that just prompted me to do better, but I never got a 7 on a single test. But I did my revision before the exam and did a lot of past papers and got a 7(after being predicted a 5).

I know it can seem disheartening to not get the grade you think you deserve, but it just makes you work harder.