Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland

bescherelle

Can anyone give me any feed back about these kinda schools?

I'm becoming a senior in Canada, and I'm afraid about what I want to do in post-secondary.

If anyone knows any friends or heard about how those courses are can you tell me how rigrous the course load is?

In terms of is it manageable and how it compares to IB.

Thanks in advance.

p.s below is the course outline for First Year students out of high school.

http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=94&3nID=108&pID=209&nID=401

OK, no-one has responded to this so I decided to do some research (because I'm also interesting in the Royal College of Surgeons, but anyways...). Here is what I managed to dig up from their website (http://www.rcsi.ie/) concerning the IB:

"International Baccalaureate Diploma:

Six Year Programme - Applicants must present six subjects, three at Higher Level and three at Subsidiary Level, all in approved matriculation subjects with a minimum score of 28 points (exclusive of bonus points). The obligatory subjects are English, Mathematics and at least one science subject.

Five Year Programme - Attainment of a minimum score of 33 points (exclusive of bonus points) to include Chemistry at higher level and Physics or Biology at higher or subsidiary level. Candidates presenting Mathematics at Higher Level must present the missing science subject at Subsidiary Level."

It appears that they have two options for prospective medical students. Firstly, there is the six year program, which requires 28 points and then there is the five year program (which is obviously more stressful) which requires 33 points. If you want to search some more on the requirements, go to the website, select admissions, then select "Minimum Academic Entry Requirements" from the navigation bar on the left and then finally scroll down the page and select "Undergraduate Medicine Non EU Minimum Academic Entry Requirements" from the left! This has IB information.

In terms of difficulty compared to other medical schools, these requirements are considerably lower (usually, for undergraduate medicine, they are around 35-38 iB points), therefore, we can assume that applications here would be less competitive. I'd use my application here as a back-up plan.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful :P

OK, no-one has responded to this so I decided to do some research (because I'm also interesting in the Royal College of Surgeons, but anyways...). Here is what I managed to dig up from their website (http://www.rcsi.ie/) concerning the IB:

"International Baccalaureate Diploma:

Six Year Programme - Applicants must present six subjects, three at Higher Level and three at Subsidiary Level, all in approved matriculation subjects with a minimum score of 28 points (exclusive of bonus points). The obligatory subjects are English, Mathematics and at least one science subject.

Five Year Programme - Attainment of a minimum score of 33 points (exclusive of bonus points) to include Chemistry at higher level and Physics or Biology at higher or subsidiary level. Candidates presenting Mathematics at Higher Level must present the missing science subject at Subsidiary Level."

It appears that they have two options for prospective medical students. Firstly, there is the six year program, which requires 28 points and then there is the five year program (which is obviously more stressful) which requires 33 points. If you want to search some more on the requirements, go to the website, select admissions, then select "Minimum Academic Entry Requirements" from the navigation bar on the left and then finally scroll down the page and select "Undergraduate Medicine Non EU Minimum Academic Entry Requirements" from the left! This has IB information.

In terms of difficulty compared to other medical schools, these requirements are considerably lower (usually, for undergraduate medicine, they are around 35-38 iB points), therefore, we can assume that applications here would be less competitive. I'd use my application here as a back-up plan.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful XD

There's one in Bahrain (RCSI Bahrain) and the requirements are even surprisingly lower for the Five Year Program. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe a bit late, but I decided to chime in.

I talked to my dad's cousin a while ago, who is Chief of Medicine of a major Norwegian hospital. He had a very good impression of doctors from RCSI. He said it was THE place to go if I was interested in studying Medicine outside of Norway, so I'm assuming it's fairly good. Downside, of course, is that if you're not in the EU, you'll be paying over 40,000 euros a year.