Help with the approach for my EE

Lauis

All right, I've had my topic picked out for a while, but I'm absolutely stuck on what to do next.

My topic is (though I can't remember how exactly I phrased it) : Leonard Bernstein's musical growth from stage musicals to choral works, comparing "Tonight" from West Side Story to "Chitchester Psalms 1st Movement".

Can anyone please help me on how to approach my topic? Also, I feel that my music background might not be sufficient enough to do a proper analysis. I know basics, but not anything very advanced.

So, just in case, I have other potential backup topics that I was thinking of doing. (Though they are rough ideas as of now.)

My other topic I've been leaning towards is exoticism in American musicals, perhaps doing an analysis on The Mikado and society's reception of it. Again, it's a rough idea.

Edited by Lauis

If you can't approach your own topic, something you've thought out yourself, it's time to move away from it. You really should know what you're going to write in it, as well as how creative you're going to be in the topic. It's your own research essay, we can't tell you how to go about writing it.

• Like 1

I suggest you read the EE guide [found here] to get ideas. In the subject-specific criteria it'll tell you what it wants, so you're just filling in blanks for the basics.

Also, be confident! This is your EE. You can bring something 'unique' to it that perhaps other, more experienced students cannot. Be unconventional, but stick to the criteria!

I know I get stuck in ruts when I think that I'm in over my head. When I think that I must get help from others, I tend to stop thinking myself. It's terrible. Don't be that way. G'luck.

• Like 1