Failing the EE?

Alexd

Its not that hard getting an E or D if you dont follow the rubric properly, dont follow IBO's guidelines, have too much content from another subject area (for example an economics EE being too historical based), and so on. If you really want to fail then you can do that by plagiarizing most of your EE tongue.gif.

Edited by master135

Well I would say failing the EE is harder to do than failing your TOK essay, but that's just my point of view. I got an A in the first and a D in the second (which to me makes no sense, or then it confirms my belief that I really am very **** at philosophical reasoning and arguments).

My ToK teacher (who has been teaching for like 15 years) said that he had ONCE had a student who got an E in ToK. SO if it isn't much stricter with the EE, it should be pretty hard to fail it.

Similarly, my IB-coordinator says that it's an achievement to get a 1 in a subject. If you open your book, you have a 2.

I don't think it would be too difficult to fail the EE. I know plenty of people (relatively smart people) who have gotten Cs and Ds in the Extended Essay, therefore, I wouldn't be shocked if someone less able failed the EE. However, I think this is only possible if the person basically does not try or has very poor guidance from his/her school. Really, though, I also know plenty of people who got As and Bs, so it must all be about the effort.

Well, C and D imply that it's a substandard essay which means they did turn in something. E basically means your essay probably have absolutely nothing to do with the subject you're writing about. It would have to be pretty bad.

There's a separate grade for non-submission which fails you immediately.

Mark boundaries for an E grade for EE is 0-8 marks out of 36.

There are 24 points awarded for general EE criteria, 12 points for subject-specific.

You get 1 mark in each general EE criteria for the following:

- Stating research question in the right subject (so you can't register it as A1 and have a math question)

- An attempt at an introduction to the significance at the topic.

- You consult any sources at all, even if it's Wikipedia

- Your essay is talking about the subject/topic you registered it as

- You made an attempt at arguing something

- You use any type of language understandable to man

- You attempt a conclusion

- You have an abstract under 300 words.

- Any attempt at hollistic judgement i.e. thinking.

- "Presentation is poor". 0 is only awarded when "presentation is unacceptable" or you go over 4K. So unless you write 4k+ of bs...

That's 10 points.

Subject points vary in criteria but they probably run along the same lines.

So if you actually wrote something, anything with the least bit of sense and you registered it under the right subject, you'll probably get a D.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

don't stress

it's easy to pass things in IB, its moving from a 4 (or a C in EE) that's the hard part

if you give it a shot your bound to get something - that's under the assumption that you were looking and ATTEMPTING to follow the marking rubic for it

just look at the criteria and structure your essay accordingly if your just aiming for a pass :D

don't stress

it's easy to pass things in IB, its moving from a 4 (or a C in EE) that's the hard part

if you give it a shot your bound to get something - that's under the assumption that you were looking and ATTEMPTING to follow the marking rubic for it

just look at the criteria and structure your essay accordingly if your just aiming for a pass :P

Would it be as easy to pass if the research question is a little... "off"? I'm worried for my question. I don't know if I'm just worrying about that for the sake of worrying though. I'm doing Psychology, particularly on Animal-Assisted Therapy. I have "To what extent is Animal-Assisted Therapy effective?" My advisor okayed it, but I think he didn't really look into it that much.

As I'm researching, I find studies that talk about it's effectiveness, but also a lot of information on theories of why it works. Would that be relevant too?

Yeah. I think it'd be good background to talk about that aspect of AAT, but also, your essay can take a new direction if this is what you want to do. Your RQ can't make you fail, so no worries there. You might get counted down a mark, but it's not going to be the deciding factor.

Bring it up in your thread about your EE. I'd think it's a good idea to base it on why it might work in certain ages more than others, if this is the case. I don't even take psychology, so perhaps this isn't the case at all. Whatever you're doing, have a goal in mind for the research, but don't let it exclude you from reading up on something you find fascinating.

• 2 months later...

Well, C and D imply that it's a substandard essay which means they did turn in something. E basically means your essay probably have absolutely nothing to do with the subject you're writing about. It would have to be pretty bad.

There's a separate grade for non-submission which fails you immediately.

Mark boundaries for an E grade for EE is 0-8 marks out of 36.

There are 24 points awarded for general EE criteria, 12 points for subject-specific.

hi there just a quick question

is there a specific grade boundary for an A in EE ?

thanks ! :P