Percy Jackson series?

Taigan

Anybody read those books. The first book is called The Lightning Thief and it is actually being made into a movie. It's being directed by Chris Columbus (the guy that directed the first 2 Harry Potter movies).

Anyways, the point is that my friend bought me the first book, and I was wondering if it was any good???

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

yep yep yep read them all lol i still like reading them.

They are made for entertainment, unlike most of the novels in IB (at least in my perspective). So there is no real symbolism or message to search for, just have fun and read. Don't watch the movie until you finished the book though, they left a bunch of parts out, and exagerated the emerging love between Percy and Annabeth. I love how Luke was playing COD in his room though lol what happened to liscencing

• 2 weeks later...

I would like it more too if I read it way before I watched It. It would be more enjoyable because I wouldn't be picking out events that don't match with the book, but I enjoyed it nevertheless, even thought it was really late at night :P

I wonder what his new series will be, its something on Egyptians instead of the Greek.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ah, I'm absolutely glad that I read the books before downloading and watching the movie. I love them, and yes, they are very good. More for entertainment. I found that the movie was alright, but of course, it didn't follow the books. I was disappointed a bit though.

Rick Riordan's new series (The Kane Chronicles and The Heroes of Olympus) are absolutely wonderful. I love the first book of The Heroes of Olympus (The Lost Hero) and there are going to be 5 books in total like the Percy Jackson series I think? Yes. The Kane Chronicles seem interesting but I haven't read them yet. They're just sitting there on my desktop.. waiting to be read..

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I didn't like the books. I mean, they were enjoyable, but they have that dumb male main character sydrome experienced by both the Eragon series and the Pendragon series. The entire time I was like, "YOU ARE SUCH AN IDIOT! STOP GETTING INTO TROUBLE!"

LOL and I thought the movie was way lame compared to the books.

• 1 month later...

The books were okay, however it was difficult not to notice the mistakes the author would constantly make on Greek gods and goddesses. Having been taught Greek Mythology in school for 12 years and knowing the characteristics of gods and mortals and the kind of interaction they could have, the Percy Jackson series were just featuring a completely different version of them -which was, of course, false- and were building a whole story on errors. I would advise the author to actually know Greek Mythology before writing a whole series on it.

I loved the Percy Jackson series, I have been ardently reading it since only the first book had come out. The last one was by far the most amazing. Some people contend that its very simplistic, but I counter that the books are kind of fleshing out the old Greek hero quest stories that are very simplistic, they add human inflection to those stories. Also there are a number of LOL moments throughout the series, with the day that it is based in today's day and age. I really loved it!

Edited by Arrowhead

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...