Creative Oral Ideas?

stupidly_smart

Our teacher (I'm not sure if this is all IB or not) would prefer to have creative orals for our internal orals, and I'm so stuck! We're doing Arundathi Roy's "A God of Small Things" and I have no idea how to get a creative oral out of a book like that. Actually I can't think of creative orals period lol. Anyway, even if you haven't read the book, if you have any ideas for creative orals please post below!! Thank you!! xo

Why don't you start off with some oral ideas and then we can say if they're creative or not? No one's here to do your work for you.

A bunch of ideas are here:

Well thats the problem. The most creative i can come up with is a to do something like a monologue and perhaps analyse the monologue. I was thinking to perhaps do a character analysis of Baby Kochamma, and use the monologue as my main "feature" of the oral. We're also given the option to it pairs, so perhaps a dialogue? But i tried writing one and seems really robotic, and i can't make it seem natural at all. I guess there's always the option of doing a debate, but that doesn't seem creative at all. Thats the kind of thing that i keep thinking of, but none of them seem good enough to me =(

Thanks for the useless rep. Real mature :P

I don't know anything about the book or the character but perhaps you can have a monologue on the thought process of the protagonist or the antagonist in the book. Make it stereotypical of the character, but throw in a bit of comedy into it. You could have a character analysis of each of the other characters and incorporate it into the monologue (sort of how the protagonist thinks of the other characters in the book). Keep it informal.

That would be entertaining and creative at the same time.

• Like 1

I recently revisited God of Small Things, and I have to say that the book is one of the most charged books I have ever read--politically, socially/culturally, and in terms of lit techniques and style. Roy's wayyy unique. It's just hard for some people to do creative pieces, and you should discuss this with your teacher if you're being "forced" to do creative. If you're not, then don't do something you're not comfortable with.

About Baby Kochamma, yeah, I think your idea is fine, but there's so, so much that you can do with her. She's like the evil villain but we also see another side of her with the garden, which you could explore and take to many new places. What do you think she was like when she was young? The narrator says that she had the chance to go to college because her father knew she wan't going to get a marriage proposal. That's shocking to us, but I mean many women didn't get post-secondary education. Many still don't. So she had the world at her fingers, and yet... at 83 years, she's the person she is. There's a lot to delve into. Good luck

• Like 1