Visual Arts EE- formulating my RQ

r a i n b o w stardust

I've been thinking about what to do for my EE lately and am really keen on doing it under visual arts. So far I've searched a couple of local artists but there really aren't many resources to use other than interviews and an occasional magazine article. I don't know if that's fine or enough.

I took this workshop during the summer for Batik art and have access to many of the young artists I met there. After researching I found out that this style of art was introduced to America very recently by a man who currently resides in Toronto (local). It seems perfect for me to do my EE on him. So here's the RQ:

'How has David Kibuuka influenced and introduced Modern Batik art painting to the western world?'

Is it too broad? Or is it terrible?

I'm going to have to submit a Mentor Proposal soon (before my art teacher finds her 3 mentorees) so please don't hesitate to offer suggestions.

I won't lie, I don't know much about Visual Art. From a general EE standpoint, I would say that you are going to have difficulty arguing something. You are "begging the question", which means that your answer is implied in your RQ. That is bad.

As an alternative, try taking out the "introduced" (it will give you another point to argue) and change the "how" to "to what extent". It seems like a little thing, but trust me, it makes a big difference. If you ask a "how" question, you will merely narrate (which the IB hates). If you ask "to what extent" or "why", you will argue (which the IB loves), and find counter-points as well.

Other than that, I think it's a great question that's really inventive, and in general for arts essays (I know this is the case for theatre), the IB likes it when you can take the essay out of the theoretical and into the practical. They should love it.

I hope that helped!

• Like 2

I won't lie, I don't know much about Visual Art. From a general EE standpoint, I would say that you are going to have difficulty arguing something. You are "begging the question", which means that your answer is implied in your RQ. That is bad.

As an alternative, try taking out the "introduced" (it will give you another point to argue) and change the "how" to "to what extent". It seems like a little thing, but trust me, it makes a big difference. If you ask a "how" question, you will merely narrate (which the IB hates). If you ask "to what extent" or "why", you will argue (which the IB loves), and find counter-points as well.

Other than that, I think it's a great question that's really inventive, and in general for arts essays (I know this is the case for theatre), the IB likes it when you can take the essay out of the theoretical and into the practical. They should love it.

I hope that helped!

Thanks so much for the tips. If I could give you reputation or something I would

The new RQ is then: To what extent has David Kibuuka influenced modern batik art painting in the western world?

Perfect. I just need to secure a mentor now.

The new RQ is then: To what extent has David Kibuuka influenced modern batik art painting in the western world?

Perfect. I just need to secure a mentor now.

MUCH better! That's a perfect RQ, I think it should produce a great essay. Remember to read the Visual Art "Interpretations of the criteria" and to give examples from your personal experience. Good luck!

• Like 1