Question: does IB accepted in Germany?

hilaryvb

Does IB accepted in Germany? particularly the Indonesian IB since i'm Indonesian.

well since here we have school for 12 yrs, and in Germany got 13 yrs, do we still needing to attend another year in a German high school redo IB/get the Abteilnehmen? or going into Studienkolleg? or can just straight into Uni?

and if we could go straight into University, what German Language certificate that we need atleast?

thanks.

To my knowledge the IB takes the place of the Arbitur (is that even the right word?). We had a load of german people studying with us (in the UK) and they just did the IB at the same time as us in the last 2 years of school (so aged 16-18) - and of course if you do German A1 (not sure if A2 counts the same way) it's a very valid language qualification, so I can't imagine you'd need to take another one. At least nobody I knew did! :D The only thing I do vaguely remember is that German universities don't accept Maths Studies (or so I believe, somebody German or with more knowledge may wish to correct me!).

I should add there's no such thing as the "indonesian IB" or the "german IB" or the "american IB" or anything of the sort. That's the whole point of the IB, that it's standardised to be exactly the same across different countries/languages/systems of education, assuming it's taken seriously. So you will have done the same thing as anybody else doing the IB - in Germany, Indonesia or otherwise!

If you want to study in Germany you need a science and German A1 at HL and possibly a humanity HL or a second science at HL. Half of the sixth form is German and that's what they're all doing in case they want to go back to Germany. But apparently accroding to the German year 13 it depends on the Universities and it's only Bavaria that doesn't recognise unless you take the above requirements. I advise you look up Universities and if it doesn't say contact them.

I'd supplement that you need to speak German very well to pass the language test. If you've studied it for a year, you've no chance of passing it.

Also, I've understood that Math Studies is not accepted by German unis so you will need SL Math.

Max will be here to confirm this soon enough, I hope :D.

Oh.. I'm taking Math HL, Physic HL, Chemistry HL, Eng B HL, Indonesian A1 SL, and History SL (which before was HL, and i'm forced to make it SL)

well my school doesnt provide German A1, but only the Ab-initio. So, in that case I will need to go to Studienkolleg?

I haven't applied to any German universities, so all I know is that they do not accept Math Studies and you have to either have a science or math at HL (judging by your subject combination, you should be fine). In case you want to pursue a degree taught in German, you have to prove that you're fluent enough.

Bitte hilfen mich an. << correct?

Bitte helft mir/Bitte helfen Sie mir

(latter is formal)

Edited by Max
  • Like 1

I'd like to study in Germany :] I know that you must have either mathematics or one of the science subjects on HL. To go to university in Germany, you must pass an exam like DSD II or DSH. It's called deutschsprache diplom or something like that :P here you have a list of universities in Germany that accept IB (because not all of them do this): http://www.ibo.org/country/DE/index.cfm

Edited by small_mouse

• 1 month later...

No, actually the requirements for German universities are not as harsh as many people wrote above. The requirements are:

German (no matter HL or SL) in A level (i.e. A1 or A2) (If this is not taken, a German test has to be taken before the actual admittance into the university to prove yor profficiency)

SL or HL Mathematics (though in some states like Berlin, Studies is also going to be accepted from 2010 onwards)

1 HL course in a science subject

Preferably an HL course in the subject you want to study

These would be it. No HL A1 German courses needed.

However, one should keep in mind that IB isn't graded that highly in Germany.