Biology IA question

KyleAdams

Is not explaining what a piece of obscure lab equipment is a problem with IA examiners? My teacher told me I didn't give enough information about what a spectrophotometer is. I admit I didn't give any information, and that it isn't common knowledge, but will an IB examiner deduct points for something like that?

I'm not sure. When we used a spectrophotometer, we didn't directly explain what it did. There wasn't a paragraph on the machine. However, we showed that we understood what it did as it related to the experiment that we did. Maybe the teacher meant for you to show your understanding more clearly? Or maybe he/she did want you to explain explicitly. If you teacher asks you to do something, and it's not something that IB requires, the teacher isn't likely to change his/her methods, you know? My school isn't one of those where the IB score is IT and there are no grades outside of IB. And since your teacher is grading the labs and the examiner is only moderating, you should cater to your teacher. =)

Just wondering--the spectrophotometer isn't that uncommon, is it?

Since your teacher doesn't know what it is,

i'm guessing this was a design IA that you did for bio

In terms of getting marks deducted, i think what she meant by "information" was the increments and the range of the equipment etc.

I know what a spectrophotometer is but i'm not familiar with the technicalities so i'll use a thermometer as an example instead.

say i used a thermometer in my design, I would have to say: it had a range of -10 to 110 degrees Celsius in 1 degree increments

Otherwise, you shouldn't have to explain what an actual piece of equipment is. I used a reflux condenser for one of my chem designs and got full marks for it even though i didn't give any further information other than: "attach reflux condenser" in procedure