Essay Questions! Help please!

Ok, so here are essay questions I need to answer but find it rather difficult to start. Both are worth 15 marks. Do you have any suggestions?

1. Discuss the view that there is a strong justification for government intervention on the market for health care.

2. Is economic growth always a desirable policy objective for a governmnet?

Thanks!

Tell me, which one do you think is harder?

Edited by Kristyna H.

So I've never taken econ & I can't write the essay for you, but I think the 2nd is easier to discuss from a general/historical standpoint. I guess you're not taking history, but the revolutions aren't exactly fought by the rich, happy people... it's the unhappy ones who cause a change. Now that's an extreme, but if you apply that to governments that want to exact a change... well propaganda goes a long way.

As for the first, you really can't think of a reason that the government would have something to gain from investing money into health care? Just one thing I've seen. The money has to go somewhere. Why not put it in a place where the votes will be thankful for? This may only be effective if the voters can't afford private health care, and this may be more political, but every field's interdisciplinary. Plus, if there's a large group of people who can't afford health care and the government suddenly provides it, then over time, can't there be a benefit for the government?

Just my thoughts.

1. Discuss the view that there is a strong justification for government intervention on the market for health care.

• what is health care - hospitals, medical aid etc
  • why is it significant - it is a measure of economic development in a country
  • what does government intervention constitute - market is no longer driven by demand and supply
  • the benefits - obviously if government was to allocate funding towards health care the country would reap benefits; decreased poverty levels (SR)--> economic development (LR), healthier population (SR) --> stronger labour force (SR) --> greater efficiency and productivity (LR) --> economic growth (LR)
  • disadvantages - government spending on other areas would decrease >i can't think of examples right now, i'll edit if i do<

2. Is economic growth always a desirable policy objective for a government?

• define economic growth
  • use a PPC diagram if applicable
  • benefits of an increase in real GDP; >can't think atm<
  • disadvantages - may have an impact on sustainable/economic development (remember economic growth can occur without economic development!)

sorry, i was on a run but then my sleepiness kicked in

hope what i've written gives you some direction as to how to approach these questions

when my brain starts working i'll come back and add anything that i think of~

p.s - i thought that Q1 was harder, it's just that my brain bombed out on Q2 :P