Universities in New Zealand

Camlon

Hey forum!

I'm a Norwegian who have attended IB and ended up with 34 points. I decided to apply for engineering at New Zealand universities, and I'm already accepted at Auckland University of Technology and Victoria University of Wellington. What is my chance for getting into University of Auckland with 66 in physics and mathematics HL?

Also, what is the reputation for Auckland University of Technology compared to University of Auckland. I have read that many graduates find a job, but I'm still unsure, especially since their website is terrible.

Thanks. :P

Rule of thumb: Terrible website = terrible university, as is the case with AUT. It's rather new and the general joke around here is that AUT is for the Auckland University rejects. That and AUT usually has vocational courses that the UofA does not offer.

The University of Auckland's requirements here state that you'd need 32 points to get into Engineering and 34 if you want to get into a conjoint double degree program. Getting into the University of Auckland is fairly simple, there are no application fees, at least there weren't any in 2007/8, and you just need to send in a photograph, results and a copy of your passport and proof of your English Language abilities. If you've done English A1/A2, that should be acceptable. As long as you're over 32, you should be set :hug:

I'd also suggest the University of Otago, they're reputable in the area of Engineering.

And lastly, if you don't get in to UofA, go to Wellington :P

• Like 1

I agree with Aboo. As a resident living in Auckland, you will get into Univeristy of Auckland. Do not go to AUT, if you have the choice of Victoria, Otago or Auckland. Auckland University is ranked 62nd in the world at the moment in times magazine for topped ranked universities, with Otago 60 places or so behind that.

The scores needed are not that high and with a 34 you will get as that meets university entrance.

• Like 2

Rule of thumb: Terrible website = terrible university, as is the case with AUT. It's rather new and the general joke around here is that AUT is for the Auckland University rejects. That and AUT usually has vocational courses that the UofA does not offer.

The University of Auckland's requirements here state that you'd need 32 points to get into Engineering and 34 if you want to get into a conjoint double degree program. Getting into the University of Auckland is fairly simple, there are no application fees, at least there weren't any in 2007/8, and you just need to send in a photograph, results and a copy of your passport and proof of your English Language abilities. If you've done English A1/A2, that should be acceptable. As long as you're over 32, you should be set :hug:

I'd also suggest the University of Otago, they're reputable in the area of Engineering.

And lastly, if you don't get in to UofA, go to Wellington :)

Thanks, that was really helpful. It's hard to get good information. :P University of Otago doesn't have engineering, hence that is not an option. University of Canterbury have engineering, however, I have heard that there is a lot of racism in Christchurch.

Edit: I found software engineering hidden away under applied science, but I rather want civil or mechanical engineering. That's why I don't really want to choose Wellington, because it's not the profession I want.

PS: I have already applied for engineering at University of Auckland. They are just slow to respond.

Edited by Camlon

And lastly, if you don't get in to UofA, go to Wellington :)

Thanks, that was really helpful. It's hard to get good information. :P University of Otago doesn't have engineering, hence that is not an option. University of Canterbury have engineering, however, I have heard that there is a lot of racism in Christchurch.

Edit: I found software engineering hidden away under applied science, but I rather want civil or mechanical engineering. That's why I don't really want to choose Wellington, because it's not the profession I want.

PS: I have already applied for engineering at University of Auckland. They are just slow to respond.

My bad :) I thought Otago had proper Engineering. Um, if you're the typical Norwegian (blonde, white) you shouldn't encounter any racism. There isn't a lot of racism in NZ anyway.

Have you tried calling the UofA? They usually process the applications before the 6 weeks that they say they'll do it in.

There's also Massey University.

• Like 1

My bad :hug: I thought Otago had proper Engineering. Um, if you're the typical Norwegian (blonde, white) you shouldn't encounter any racism. There isn't a lot of racism in NZ anyway.

Have you tried calling the UofA? They usually process the applications before the 6 weeks that they say they'll do it in.

Good. I :P will apply for Canterbury and maybe Massey then. Yep, I'm a typical Norwegian, a bit short though.

I sent in the necessary forms 1th of October. I finished the application much earlier though. Hence I don't think they have processed my application yet. Also, what should I ask them. "hello, my name is ... are you done with my application?"

Edited by Camlon

My bad :hug: I thought Otago had proper Engineering. Um, if you're the typical Norwegian (blonde, white) you shouldn't encounter any racism. There isn't a lot of racism in NZ anyway.

Good. I :P will apply for Canterbury and maybe Massey then. Yep, I'm a typical Norwegian, a bit short though.

I sent in the necessary forms 1th of October. I finished the application much earlier though. Hence I don't think they have processed my application yet. Also, what should I ask them. "hello, my name is ... are you done with my application?"

I'm not white but in the 5 months-ish I've been here, I've never encountered the slightest bit of racism. Everyone is tremendously friendly.

Ah then they probably won't have started on it yet. I applied in 2007 and sent in my details about 6 months later. Give it another week or so, check your status on nDeva regularly. When you do call, just say "Hi, my name is ..., this is my application number ###, may I know the status on the application please?" They're friendly, if not a bit incompetent but as long as you get in touch with the right person, you're sorted :)

• 4 weeks later...

The spokesperson for the UoA just came to my college, which through her presentation, the uni rocks.. (I think so..) I'm taking biotech there when I'm finished with this IB thing..

Good to hear.

I haven't got an answer yet :P , but it shouldn't take much longer. Last time I wrote I didn't have access to Ndeva, but I got it by sending them an e-mail. I think it's better to send them an mail asking for the status of the application. (I did 2 weeks ago, but it wasn't finished). I get the same information, and it doesn't cost me 20 dollar, but do they know anything more than I do from Ndeva?

Edited by Camlon

• 3 weeks later...

Of course they do, they have their own system. Don't be naïve to think that the university is going to disclose the same information to you as they do to their staff. If you do want to call NZ, use something like skype which is cheap if you want to call NZ landlines. Or other VOIP based services, I always think calling and speaking to the right (there are clueless people at the university) person is way more useful than waiting for a slow email.

• Like 1

Of course they do, they have their own system. Don't be naïve to think that the university is going to disclose the same information to you as they do to their staff. If you do want to call NZ, use something like skype which is cheap if you want to call NZ landlines. Or other VOIP based services, I always think calling and speaking to the right (there are clueless people at the university) person is way more useful than waiting for a slow email.

Yeah, I guess I'm a bit naive.

Anyhow, I got answer from them a week ago, and was accepted at engineering at Auckland. <_< Hence I'm in and happy.

But thanks anyway.

• Like 1