Textbook for Economics

I'm currently in SL Economics, and am looking for a good book that will help me understand the concepts taught in class, as well as prepare me for the exam. On Amazon, I found these two to be the most promising looking:

http://www.amazon.ca/IB-Diploma-Programme-Economics-Companion/dp/0199151245/ref=pd_sim_b_11

http://www.amazon.ca/Economics-IB-Diploma-Study-Guide/dp/0199152284/ref=pd_sim_b_18

Anyone have experience with either of these? What's the difference between them? Which one's better?

Thanks in advance.

Alright, thanks!

I have both of those (and Economics from a Global Perspective, which I find less helpful). I don't view them as substitutes, but rather as complementary goods :D The Course Companion is useful for using in class, studying after class etc, while the Revision Guide is great for well.. revision before tests and exams.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey

As titled - what is a good economics textbook?

Thanks!

Why bother the Econs textbook? I thought you are not taking Econs? :blum: but anyways..

The one that my school uses is:

9780521744348.jpg

It's really good IMO. I like the way it explains the concepts. It also has tips for exams and past IB exam questions and model answers.

My teacher also highly recommends us to buy this study guide, btw:

9781906345136.jpg

There is also the HL one but I am too lazy to find the image heheh

I also heard this book is good. It's good if you like reading stories or examples I think.

big0199151245.jpg

We have some copies at school and I heard from my teacher that they use this book in ACSI (the school in which 28 students just got IB45)

• Like 1

Why bother the Econs textbook? I thought you are not taking Econs? :P but anyways..

Hahah I want to read some economics staff to prepare for uni - after IB of course :blum:

Thanks for the images! I think I'll get the Course Companion

+ I hope Pearson Baccalaureate will publish an economics textbook :blum:

Edited by Eydie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am currently using this textbook as it has been recommended by my school.

Is anyone else using this textbook? What are your thoughts on it? And if not, are there any other econs textbook that will be worth my time?

Sorry for the questions, thanks in advance!

Yeah, me too. This year my school also bought some new ones. The look like this https://www.ibid.com.au/ibid/web.nsf/productlookup/36?opendocument it seems it's the second edition.

I have the same textbook. I think it is very good, content-wise. It also has good diagrams with comprehensive explanations. I think you can survive with this book only (without a study guide) :D everything is explained very well. The definitions are also very good. It also has some sample past paper questions and the model answers :D

Also for Macroeconomics, it explains from both the Classical & the Keynesian points of view :) which is good because some other textbooks just explain the Keynesian theories and neglect the classical :S

However there are a few minor typo :P they are just minor typo errors, though, and there are just a few so that wouldn’t be a big problem.

It is a very good book and my teacher even said it’s the best IB Economics textbook. The second best one is this one:

big0199151245.jpg

That one uses stories when explaining so if you prefer examples than pure theory, go for that book. Well, the Ellie Tragakes’ one also has examples and they really make me understand IMO but maybe this blue one is more like a storyteller than Ellie’s :P

• 3 months later...

hey guys!!! i am currently in Economics SL and my school has provided us with Matt McGee and it sucks big time so i would really appreciate if anyone could suggest me a textbook from which i can understand Economics!!

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak!

hey guys!!! i am currently in Economics SL and my school has provided us with Matt McGee and it sucks big time so i would really appreciate if anyone could suggest me a textbook from which i can understand Economics!!

Read through this thread, people have already given the names of some economics textbooks and their opinions on them.

I have both of those books, they are both really good! The study guide offers a great detailed analysis of the graphs and the situations, extremely food for Economics SL which I am taking as well. The Course Companion has been offered for us in school, it is good but verbose at times, but I recommend the study guide.

I'm currently in SL Economics, and am looking for a good book that will help me understand the concepts taught in class, as well as prepare me for the exam. On Amazon, I found these two to be the most promising looking:

http://www.amazon.ca/IB-Diploma-Programme-Economics-Companion/dp/0199151245/ref=pd_sim_b_11

http://www.amazon.ca/Economics-IB-Diploma-Study-Guide/dp/0199152284/ref=pd_sim_b_18

Anyone have experience with either of these? What's the difference between them? Which one's better?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

We're using Economics from a global perspective atm in our classes and I find that book to be horrible. Our teacher asked us to take a look at the course companion, and from a 15-20 minute glance, it looked really straight-forward. But, if financial issues aren't relevant, i'd definately advise you to get both (at least in chem(HL) and physics(SL) I use both course companion and the study guides and both are really good imo).

And besides, I'd say it's quite useful to have as many sources of information, especially when revising for final exams

Hope this helps!

P.S. At the fact that Glanville is thorough, hard to deny, but imo ~25% is useless text, and everything could be explained in a way more understandable fashion

Edited by File