History IA Part D: What to do/avoid?

ABC123456

I'm doing my Part D for the IA, the Analysis, right now, and I am wondering what are some things that will be good to include as well as mistakes that people tend to commit. I know I should be doing the question in historical context, different views, and analysis of evidence. Another question I have is, how exactly do you analyze the evidence? Thanks!

I don't know how helpful this may be, but look at this thread:

For D, I think I would also emphasize on synthesis in addition to analysis. Analyze by taking what the historian said and evaluating it. Disagreeing with something as long as you explain why coherently is always good, but you don't want the analysis to just be why you disagree. This is where synthesis comes in. Take what different people have said, take the evidence, and piece it together to support your argument. Did that help? Mmm like if you have statistics, after explaining them, tell why they are important/how they relate to your argument.

• Like 1

Our teacher recommends doing the analysis and evidence in order. So say your evidence is pear harbour was bombed, then analyze that first. If your next evidence is that the Japanese bombed it, then analyze that evidence next. I know they're poor examples but you get the point. Our teacher actually places our evidence and analysis side by side to see if they're coherent and follow the same order.

• Like 1

Echoing what was said above, evaluating different perspectives is a must for a high grade. I compared two fundamentally opposing perspectives, analyzed the strengths and weaknesses of both (since you evaluate sources in part C, you should focus on criticizing the argument itself in part D more than evaluating why the argument might be weak), and then synthesized these viewpoints with the evidence from Part B in order to come up with my final conclusion.

Echoing what was said above, evaluating different perspectives is a must for a high grade. I compared two fundamentally opposing perspectives, analyzed the strengths and weaknesses of both (since you evaluate sources in part C, you should focus on criticizing the argument itself in part D more than evaluating why the argument might be weak), and then synthesized these viewpoints with the evidence from Part B in order to come up with my final conclusion.

• 1 month later...