SAT

ibmonkey

hi guys.

The university that I would like to apply to is in Australia. The program that I intend to enter does not require me to take the SAT.

I have had no intention of taking the test,until my university counsellor said that it might be a good thing to do.

My question to you all is, do you think I should do it anyway as it is another qualification on top of my IBDP?

I suggest taking a practice SAT test online to figure out if it's something you're naturally good at. In addition, you should ask if your uni recommends the SAT or not. If it doesn't I don't really see a point, unless you think you can get a really high score without trying. It's just a lot of stress and possibly a waste of resources.

As long as you get an IB Dip, Aussie universities won't give a crap about the SAT test as it's not required unless you have an American High School diploma. So no, if you're intent on going to Australia, don't waste your time by doing the Stupid American Test.

Don't take the SAT if you don't intend on going to American university and have your eyes set on an Australian, it'll just be a enormous waste of time added onto your IB workload. But if have some extra time on your hands and would like to do nothing else but to spend hours preparing for the SAT, go for it, it might give you extra credential on top the IB programme

To my knowledge SATs aren't really paid any attention to outside of the USA, so unless you want to go to the USA for University, there's no point. For instance in the UK, it's not a qualification at all, to my knowledge -- as in you wouldn't be able to put it on any forms because it's not recognised by anywhere. More or less it's just kinda a variation on an IQ test so doesn't actually qualify you for anything, a bit like you can't use any other academic "IQ" tests on an application. My guess is it's probably similar in Australia and they don't take much notice of it.

I agree with everybody who's said it'd just eat up your time. You'd be better off working harder on your IB coursework, revision etc. and not bothering with the SAT, especially as it's reasonably costly. The only way it might put a positive spin on your application is if you're applying somewhere where they routinely take SAT scores into consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

Universities in Australia have very high regards for the IB diploma - taking the SAT is irrelevant in Australia - most people here have never heard of it! The two main things Aus uni consider in the admission process are your grades (IB) and whether you have done the prerequisite subjects in high school, e.g. you can't get into Adelaide Uni's engineering course without doing physics.

SAT is such a foreign thing here.

However, if you changed your mind about coming to Australia then obviously it would help to have taken the SAT or at least preparation for it.

Edited by Eydie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I'm in pre-IB course right now, but will be in actual IB by Sept '10. I have my green card - which means I'm a US resident - but I live in Poland and want to apply to a uni in the USA.

My problem is, do I have to take the SAT before applying there? Or will I get accepted, or even considered without taking it? I know the SAT in the USA is a big deal, so I was wondering if the universities will have a problem with me not having it, since here in Poland there is no SAT.

Thank you in advance.

It would depend on the university, I think. I know that there are colleges that don't require SAT/ACT scores from international students if the tests aren't offered in the country, like your case. Often, this is the only exception. Look at the college's website under international student and testing requirements [if they have designated pages for them] and send the office of undergraduate admissions an email explaining your situation if the information the website gave you is inconclusive.

• Like 1