[VA] "hardworking" & "talent" - which one is more important?

chltmffls

Hello :P im taking Visual Art SL (option B)

I've been always wondering what is more important between "hardworking" and "talent" for Visual Art.

I do not have good artistic technique and actually my studio works look kind of childish compared to that of other students.

But I'm enthusiastic about the subject.. so I try to do well on My IWB and my teacher say I would get good grade for it.

But Im really worried about my studio works because they are not good:((

The media I use are also very basic staff (like acrylic on styrofoam,charcoal,pastel, manipulated photography)

could you please give me some advice or opinion :vampire:??

Hello :vampire: im taking Visual Art SL (option B)

I've been always wondering what is more important between "hardworking" and "talent" for Visual Art.

I do not have good artistic technique and actually my studio works look kind of childish compared to that of other students.

But I'm enthusiastic about the subject.. so I try to do well on My IWB and my teacher say I would get good grade for it.

But Im really worried about my studio works because they are not good:((

The media I use are also very basic staff (like acrylic on styrofoam,charcoal,pastel, manipulated photography)

could you please give me some advice or opinion :P??

I'm one of the most talented in my art class but I recently realized I was lacking personal thought in my work. I always had a feeling it just wasn't right but it never occured to me I was actually lacking something. To me art was just taking a pencil (or whatever) and creating. No thought process. But you must must must have personal inspiration. Create the art for yourself, draw your inspiration from your life, make art that is meaningful to you and expresses what you want to say to the world. Sorry but I just had to add that in since you're asking what's important for art.

Most of us work hard anyways and it is definately important to in any course but art requires more than just that. You need to work hard, have personal inspiration, and be creative. I assume you're talking about drawing skills as talent. That's honestly just an asset. And even if you think you don't have any talent there are so many art forms to explore- photography, wire sculptures, abstract...

Exploring and finding what works best for you is part of this course, it counts as personal development (I think). If you realize maybe pastel doesn't work for you (because of drawing skills maybe) then go with something else. Time is limited and you won't be able to develop any new skills so soon anyways. But the examiner will want to see your development so make sure it is evident through your sketchbook and works.

Just my opinions and as I'm in the middle of my course it might not be completely helpful.

I am not taking the Visual Arts course, but I am taking Music, and I have found that hard work outweighs natural talent any day. Yes, someone with hard work and talent will be better than those with just hard work, but with talent and no work, you never really improve. If you don't work at something, you will stay at the same level, and won't progress as well as those who work hard. It is a personal opinion of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I took the exact same course you're taking and yes, talent is helpful but hard work is essential. In Arts it's all about progress so it is kind of helpful that you're not that fantastic at art production. I for one was very... creative, but not skillful. Throughout the two years of the programme you could actually see some progress in my technique and in the way I handled materials. The key is to be dedicated. IB encourages art that is thoughtful and meaningful, not just pleasant to the eye. Since you're going for option B and, as you say, you're doing good with the IWB, the examiner will notice that your strength isn't in studio work but in investigation. However, you still have to work hard on the studio stuff. I kind of didn't take it that seriously, hence the 5 in my grades (my iwb got like 16 but my studio work got 9 :/) but if you do I'm sure you can get a 7 without much problem.

Well... I'd say... both matters ^^

because from the IWB itself, you can get a mark that supports the studio piece :3

Hardworking is good and talent also supports it. But if one have talent, that doesnt mean that they are hardworking...

hardworking doesnt necessarily have talent, but it is a good thing to persevere.

keep up your good work and dont get discouraged.

• 3 weeks later...