Case Study 2010

Abu

I'll keep the topic starter updated with any questions that can come up about the case study. Keep all discussion about the case study to this thread only.

N-Pharma Case Study

May and November 2010

Case Study.pdf

Case Study Analysis Notes: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=920

here are some Q's

Q1: Definition of subsidiaries.

Q2:Process and challenges faced by a new product development.

Q3: Pricing strategies being used?

Q4: Define quality assurance and quality control.

Q5: Question on Market Share.

Q6: Draw a Boston Matrix.

Q7: Porter's Generic Strategies

Q8: Define Above the Line, and Below the Line production

• Like 2

I'll keep the topic starter updated with any questions that can come up about the case study. Keep all discussion about the case study to this thread only.

N-Pharma Case Study

May and November 2010

Case Study.pdf

Case Study Analysis Notes: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=920

here are some Q's

Q1: Definition of subsidiaries.

Q2:Process and challenges faced by a new product development.

Q3: Pricing strategies being used?

Q4: Define quality assurance and quality control.

Q5: Question on Market Share.

Q6: Draw a Boston Matrix.

Q7: Porter's Generic Strategies

Q8: Define Above the Line, and Below the Line production

correction in question 8: its above and below the line promotion, not production.

• Like 3

A good approach to this case study is:

1. Read it through quickly (so you get a good understanding of what it's about)

2. Read it through slowly - taking notes - so that you understand what issues are being covered

3. Start putting together a few generic template answers:

- Timeline (so you know what happened, in which year - it could show cause & effect relationships

- SWOT Analysis (if you haven't done one of these before the exam, you'll probably be sorry

- PEST Analysis (Again, a useful tool to use)

- Porter's 5-Forces Analysis (A third good tool)

-- -- These three analysis tools give you a view of the Macro-environment (PEST), the Market Environment (Porter's) and the Micro-Environment (SWOT)

- Write down the Economic data given to you in the case (Part of the PEST)

- Highlight every term that may be in any glossary you have ever seen on B & M. Make sure you know every term used in the case

- Put together a starter Marketing Plan.

-- -- PLACE (part of the question asks about US vs China expansion)

-- -- PRODUCT (Understand the pharmaceutical PLC)

-- -- PRICE (How does pharmaceutical pricing work? Weigh up patent vs ethics

-- -- PROMOTION (What ethical marketing tools are there for pharmaceutical companies?)

- HUMAN Resource Planning

-- -- What type of organisation is N-Pharma now?

-- -- Consider the demands of Canada & Australia, and how this could affect the company

-- -- Consider also the different leadership/motivational theories involved in each country

- Do a Product Life Cycle for each of the N-Pharma products

- Do an Ansoff Matrix for N-Pharma

- Do a BCG Matrix for the differente N-Pharma products

This is always a good start.

I have a few of teh above analyses started. If people want them, let me know, but please don't use these resources to do your homework...you'll get much more from it if you do it yourself, and then compare to other ideas.

Also, I will start coming up with some other potential questions that may come up. I assume that at least one question would give more info on finances of n-Pharma (or one of the divisions) and ask for ratio analises. Another would almost certainly be a decision tree on which country to expand into.

Hope this helps for now.

David

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some questions that I came up with:

1. What is a multinational company (MNC)?

2. Define Private Limited Company. Explain the difference between Public Limited Companies and Private Limited Companies.

3. List and explain the differences between the three main management styles.

4. Evaluate the importance of Research and Development when releasing a new product.

5. Define and give examples of above-the-line and below-the-line production.

6. How important is creating a brand? Explain the benefits of solid branding.

7. Has N-Pharma benefited from advertising? How have they used advertising to boost sales?

8. What is income elasticity?

9. Define organisational structure. Evaluate N-Pharma's approach of a tall organisational structure.

10. Define empowerment.

11. What is financial motivation? How might employees be financially motivated?

12. What is performance-related pay? Give examples.

13. Define Absenteeism and explain why N-Pharma would have a problem with it.

14. Why should Companies alter their traditional business culture to suit the workforce?

15. How can negative Public Relations (PR) tarnish a company's reputation as well as market?

16. How necessary is it to keep all the stake-holders in a company satisfied?

17. Explain the importance of information and communicates technology (ICT) in a company's advancement.

18. What is Kaizen? Why might companies employ the theory?

19. Create a balance sheet for FY 2008 and 2009.

20. Option 1: Market Development in Europe - Evaluate which of the 3 options within option 1 is the most suitable.

21. Option 2: Market Penetration within China - Explain the advantages and disadvantages of this option.

22. Evaluate the 3 options, which of the three should the company choose for its future?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some more that my class came up with...

Hey these are some really good questions. I thank you so much for posting them up. However I am unable to answer a few could please post the answers for them. If you have the answers to these set of questions ?

If so could you kindly email them to me at ..........

or upload them.

Edited by Aboo
No text speak or email addresses! -Aboo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have access to a gigantic 82 (yes, that's right EIGHTY TWO) page analysis someone did of N-Pharma. That's essentially the center point for my revision, going through term by term, plus questions on each topic etc.

Also ratios is very obvious, I would do them in advance so that you can make sure you have the right answer in the exams.

Can you share your answers on this 3 questions please?

"

20. Option 1: Market Development in Europe - Evaluate which of the 3 options within option 1 is the most suitable.

21. Option 2: Market Penetration within China - Explain the advantages and disadvantages of this option.

22. Evaluate the 3 options, which of the three should the company choose for its future?

"

I have access to a gigantic 82 (yes, that's right EIGHTY TWO) page analysis someone did of N-Pharma. That's essentially the center point for my revision, going through term by term, plus questions on each topic etc.

Also ratios is very obvious, I would do them in advance so that you can make sure you have the right answer in the exams.

Hi Philipb,

could you please share the analysis document you have with the rest of us?

Thanks in advance :')

• Like 1

Wow, this would have been the perfect document if I had obtained it a day or two ago!!! Oh well, it is an impressive collection of notes!! - Thank you for uploading it:D

omg, 2 days left till business exams are officially over- Whoop whoop!! :yawn:

Cheers everyone!

p.s.philipb, I think you've saved my business revision (as up to this point, i've been doing hopeless questions- given to me by the teacher( I don't do them usually but- I ran out of options :blink: Thank you again :sadnod: