World Lit 1

KiwiBee

So, we all handed in our World Lit papers, and the teacher said almost all of us entirely missed the mark. So, she's given us the opportunity to rewrite them. So, my feedback mainly focussed on the issues of being too wordy, and not being concise enough. My topic was too wide, which I realized as I was writing it, because I was continuously editing it down to meet the word count, and I had trouble writing about my topic.

So, I'm not sure whether I would like to revise my essay, or just start over.

My two books are Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev, and House of Spirits by Isabel Allende. My first topic was "How the author uses suffering to affect and change the characters relationships". My second topic idea is "How the authors use women to affect the main character". With this idea I want to further narrow it down by saying how these changes affect blah blah blah (I'm not sure what yet, I'm having trouble with that one).

So, if you have any ideas on how to revise my first topic, or where to go with my second one, I would be awfully grateful :D

Edited by KiwiBee

Don't you mean Alexander Solzhenitsyn?

I haven't read either of the books but with the first question, you're better off comparing a pair of relationships in each book rather than comparing all relationships in both books.

Don't you mean Alexander Solzhenitsyn?

I haven't read either of the books but with the first question, you're better off comparing a pair of relationships in each book rather than comparing all relationships in both books.

No, that's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, a different book.

And that's pretty much what I did, I only focussed on one relationship from each book but I touched on others, which my teacher told me to do to further prove my point. And then she told me I wasn't precise enough.

You could change it to how suffering changes the relation between character 1 and character 2. This way, you wouldn't have to touch on other characters because you've narrowed the topic.

I think you'd then want to add more examples to your paper, if you can think of more. If you can't then the narrowing won't help you, and you shouldn't do it.

If you have more to add to your paper just about the main relationship, then make an outline for your essay and add the new material in and present it to your teacher. Ask her if you cover everything on there, would you be in good shape. Then you know how much you need to say and you have the word limit, so you know how flowery you can be, I guess.