Written Play for IPP

MybelovedTFB

Hi,

I have two teachers in theatre. one says that we can use the plays we have written for IPP and the other one says that we cant unless they have been performed...

Do anyone know if I can write about the play that I have written for my IPP? Kind of bummed out since I thought this was possible! And I have started... dont know what else to do!

I think the whole point of the IPP is the practical application of a theory. This is the only assessment where SL differs quite greatly from HL, so I'll give you both.

HL Option A – “a student to work in the role of a director/theatre-maker to explore in depth the devising and actualization of a performance” (SG pg 22). The focus here is on research connected to devising in the role of director/theatre-maker (as in, the student is in a leadership/facilitator type role in the realization/creation of a performance). This option may include such activities as director of a play text,

director/theatre maker in the devising process (which in the devising process may involve more than one student and/or role).

HL Option B – “a student to undertake a practical study of aspects of theatre practice” (SG pg 23). The focus here is on research that connects to a practical exploration of theatre practice. This option may include such activities as a workshop or undertaking a specific practical role in a performance (performing, lighting, costumes, writing etc)

Standard Level – “Should increase the student’s knowledge and skills in a specific area of theatre.” (SG pg 24). The focus here is on knowledge and skills of any chosen area of theatre. This option may include such activities as devising and presenting a solo performance, writing a piece of theatre, directing, technical project (lighting, sound, or costumes), running a workshop etc.). It does not have the “underpinning of theoretical research” that the HL projects have (though evidence of doing research is a good idea for SL students as it contributes to evidence of initiative

and persistence for Criterion A of the Portfolio).

All Three Options – The Portfolio (and therefore the project) “should represent the dynamic stages of the creative process (Preparation, Action and Reflection)” (SG pg 30)

I think your teacher is right: unless you actually perform the play you wrote, how are you going to test whatever theory you have? "The focus here is on research connected to devising in the role of director/theatre-maker". So what you would do is find some theory on writing for the theatre, write a play, then perform that play and see what worked/what didn't. You may be able to get away with doing a scene from the play, ask your teacher about that.