my ib options?

i am going to choose ib courses next month. i am a chinese and have studied chinese for 15 years. but still, chinese a1 standard level is hard so i am thinking to chose english a1 standard ,also because english a1 is easier to get the mark but i am bit worried since i only have learned english for 3 years. so how i am going to choose??? can please tell me in english a1 standard, how many books i need to read and what are they, so i can read during the holiday, and will i get 6 ??

Do Chinese A1 and English A2 best advice, Chinese is your mothertongue. The level of Chinese is not as hard as what you'd find in China or Hong Kong. I know a bit about this because 6 people in my sixth form do Chinese A1 self-taught. Chinese is no doubt a hard language, but since it is your mothertongue you'd fare well in it. If you do standard you can read up to a maximum of 11 'works' and minimum 9. You can start over the summer just ask your teacher.

thanks, but if i choose english b hl the mark boundary to get a* is 95%, and i have to studyy both chinese and english very hard. if i chose english a1, i can easily get a* for chinese and forcus on english. i want to go to cambridge instead of chinese school so is it better to have english a1?? what do u think?

i am going to choose ib courses next month. i am a chinese and have studied chinese for 15 years. but still, chinese a1 standard level is hard so i am thinking to chose english a1 standard ,also because english a1 is easier to get the mark but i am bit worried since i only have learned english for 3 years. so how i am going to choose??? can please tell me in english a1 standard, how many books i need to read and what are they, so i can read during the holiday, and will i get 6 ??

You should really do Chinese A1. In Language A1 you've to be really fluent, be able to express yourself very well etc... Also you'd need to know all the literary terms in English, know a lot about the use of (English) language etc...

For standard level you need to:

Read 3 world-lit. books (you've to choose them from a list), compare 2 in a written internal assignment (coursework)

Read 2 books for an oral commentary (you’ll have to prepare 5 given questions for each book and in the exam you’ll have to present one oft hem)

Read 3 books (one of them world lit) and write answers written on at least two of them

Read 3 books (one world lit) and make an oral presentation based on two of them

(well, this is how I had/have to do it, might change from year to year though)

hope that helps

thanks, but still i am a bit worried. firstly, if i choose english a1, i have teacher at school to teach me but if i choose chinese a1 i have to find a tutor outside school and i am not in china now so it is a bit hard and cost. also, i am going to british university, is it better to choose english a1? i come up a plan, i will read all the literature in the summer and then learn at school, it might be easy 4 me. and since chinese b hl is very easy for me, i dont need to study at all, so i can focus on english. how is it? my sister told me english a1 is easy to get mark if u really working hard~~~~~

Edited by 526540828

thanks, but still i am a bit worried. firstly, if i choose english a1, i have teacher at school to teach me but if i choose chinese a1 i have to find a tutor outside school and i am not in china now so it is a bit hard and cost. also, i am going to british university, is it better to choose english a1? i come up a plan, i will read all the literature in the summer and then learn at school, it might be easy 4 me. and since chinese b hl is very easy for me, i dont need to study at all, so i can focus on english. how is it? my sister told me english a1 is easy to get mark if u really working hard~~~~~

Languages A2 are living on a borrowed time. By the end of this year, they will not be studied within the IB curriculum. You are obliged to choose a Language B course. The great news for you is that, English B will be equivalent to the TOEFL and IELTS after first examinations in 2011. But even if you do English A1 or English B, many UK universities ask for an English Proficiency Test. Whether you choose Chinese A1/English B or English A1/Chinese B, it will not make any difference. Bearing in mind that your mother tongue is Chinese and you are not familiar with literary terms in English, I think choosing Chinese A1 is the safest option. I believe that you have an excellent hold on English for written and verbal communication but taking English A1 can be a real challenge for you. Written English and Conversational English are very different from each other in most ways. English A1 is considered as one of the hardest Language A1 subject and I have seen many English native speakers ended up getting a 4. Don't worry too much about the mark boundary of English B. I'm predicted to get a 7 and I rarely make a mistake in exam questions. English B is as easy as a pie and wouldn't push myself too hard to study literature in a second languageIf you take Chinese B, believe me you won't ever and ever listen to your teacher at class and you won't do any of your assignments. You can easily get away with not doing your homework by saying that you are a Chinese native speaker. But this will cause problems with your teacher in future. (Personal Experience) Best piece of advice, take Chinese A1. If you have a growing passion and zeal for literature, study it in your own language. Your commitment towards literature will get you far. I see no reason for you to do self-taught Chinese A1.

Edited by Mr. Fish Sticks

As far as I know, you won't be allowed to take Chinese B - coz it's your mother language (at some point you'll have to fill in a sheet giving details about your native language etc... so they'll know!!). The only thing you could do, if you chose English A1, would be either doing Chinese A2 or doing a completely language B. Either way, even though you might not really be supported in Chinese A1, I'd go for that course. I'm doing German A1 self taught - and actually, when you're familiar with the terms and the syllabus and when you're a good time-manager, then it won't be thaaat hard. And at any rate, since you're doing the IB Diploma in English (you basically examine in all subjects in English except for other languages than E) you won't need to do an English language test when applying to unis!

thanks for all the suggestion. i may take chinese a1 now, but only thing worries me is that i am only year9 level of chinese, i may not be able to do chinese liturature by self teaching but i can not find a ib chinese teacher in Italy and even there is , it is about 40 euro an hour which is very expensive. if i am going for sel teaching, how i will know which book am going to study and which book is used in the exam?? DO The books for the literature change evry year? i heard the school may not allow self teach and they need constant report from my chinese tutor~??

Edited by 526540828

Every school has to offer Self-taught, otherwise it may as well just not be an IB school. For Chinese A1 self-taught you'd have to choose 2 books for your World Lit which are foreign 'which have a common theme' so you can compare and contrast, part 2 you have to choose 2 Chinese 'works' which are Poems, plays or novels, for part 3 you need to choose 2 chinese works and 1 work from the World Literature list (which you will get ) and for Part 4 (idem), except that it's an oral. You'd fill out the books you're writing and your oral exam questions will be tailored towards the kind of works chosen. For PArt 3 the question in the exam will be generic so it doesn't matter what books you've studied as long as they have a common theme and genre.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...