Title #4 "To what extent do we need evidence to support our beliefs in different areas of knowledge?"

Sammy8153

Hey! I've chosen to write on the 4th prescribed title for TOK Nov 2010, May 2011.

"To what extent do we need evidence to support our beliefs in different areas of knowledge?"

I need some help with creating a knowledge issue for this topic. Does anyone have ideas?

Also, I'm planning on using the following areas of knowledge: the arts, natural sciences, human sciences, and ethics. Do I need to reference any Ways of Knowing in my paper? Would these ways of knowing count as evidence, as mentioned in the title? Does anyone have a good definition for evidence? I was thinking of saying that it had to be objective empirical evidence just to put some sort of parameters on the essay, but I don't know how I would back up my decision to use this definition. Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

a knowledge issue for this topic.

What about...

• the death penalty (how can we know whether it's right to kill someone? Is the d.p. worse than a life sentence?)
  • abortion (how can we know whether it's right to terminate the life of an unborn? who has the right to make this decision?)
  • beauty (how do we know what beauty is? can it ever be "objectively 'measured'"?)

You can use most ways of knowledge with these examples (or rather any topic). E.g., if you want to answer the question how we can tell what beauty is: you could argue with science that beautiful people have specific proportions that can be measured; maybe within ethics you could say that at any rate, beauty is subjective and people should not be "put into categories" like "ugly", "nice", "pretty" which might make them feel bad and cause psychological harm...)

Would these ways of knowing count as evidence, as mentioned in the title?

Yes

• Like 1

What about...

the death penalty (how can we know whether it's right to kill someone? Is the d.p. worse than a life sentence?)

abortion (how can we know whether it's right to terminate the life of an unborn? who has the right to make this decision?)

beauty (how do we know what beauty is? can it ever be "objectively 'measured'"?)

thanks for the help, but are those really knowledge issues? i thought knowledge issues were generalized, open-ended questions about the topic. those are more like examples.

i really just need one knowledge issue for this essay, but i can't think of one.

Hey! I've chosen to write on the 4th prescribed title for TOK Nov 2010, May 2011.

"To what extent do we need evidence to support our beliefs in different areas of knowledge?"

I need some help with creating a knowledge issue for this topic. Does anyone have ideas?

Also, I'm planning on using the following areas of knowledge: the arts, natural sciences, human sciences, and ethics. Do I need to reference any Ways of Knowing in my paper? Would these ways of knowing count as evidence, as mentioned in the title? Does anyone have a good definition for evidence? I was thinking of saying that it had to be objective empirical evidence just to put some sort of parameters on the essay, but I don't know how I would back up my decision to use this definition. Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

For a knowledge issue, I'd look at the implication in the title that seems to suggest that we might need different levels of evidence for different areas of knowledge. I'd probably talk about perception and another way of knowing and talk about limitations concerning them.

I think doing the arts, natural sciences, human sciences, and ethics is -way- too much. When you say the arts, you might want to focus on one rather than all. Same with sciences. This'll allow you to really narrow and focus your essay and give coherent, indepth examples that'll cover more than they would if they had to cover all of the arts. Do you know what I mean?

Yes, you should talk about the ways of knowing. That's usually where you can find a lot of knowledge issues--talking about obstacles in gaining knowledge, the flaws [and benefits] of ways of knowing.

I'd say evidence is how you support something. That's a terrible definition because it's pretty circular, but what you should do is try giving examples from this and then trying to form a cohesive meaning. Your 'objective, empirical evidence' is fine--it's a personal choice. Just don't use the word 'evidence' in defining evidence :)

I like the parameters. It'll really shape your essay. I'd just say that in this essay, I'm going to look at evidence as ______ because this evidence can be more universal and certain. Whatever you claim, you must explain and back up. I'd need to do the same for what I just said.

• Like 2

For a knowledge issue, I'd look at the implication in the title that seems to suggest that we might need different levels of evidence for different areas of knowledge. I'd probably talk about perception and another way of knowing and talk about limitations concerning them.

I think doing the arts, natural sciences, human sciences, and ethics is -way- too much. When you say the arts, you might want to focus on one rather than all. Same with sciences. This'll allow you to really narrow and focus your essay and give coherent, indepth examples that'll cover more than they would if they had to cover all of the arts. Do you know what I mean?

Yes, you should talk about the ways of knowing. That's usually where you can find a lot of knowledge issues--talking about obstacles in gaining knowledge, the flaws [and benefits] of ways of knowing.

I'd say evidence is how you support something. That's a terrible definition because it's pretty circular, but what you should do is try giving examples from this and then trying to form a cohesive meaning. Your 'objective, empirical evidence' is fine--it's a personal choice. Just don't use the word 'evidence' in defining evidence :)

I like the parameters. It'll really shape your essay. I'd just say that in this essay, I'm going to look at evidence as ______ because this evidence can be more universal and certain. Whatever you claim, you must explain and back up. I'd need to do the same for what I just said.

Thank you soooo much. That was really helpful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm also doing this topic and i'm writing it at the moment but I find that the whole problem with the essay is to do with how you define it. My whole essay is basically saying how you can't define it in a definite and concise way and that the extent to which they are needed depends on the nature of the evidence.

What i've done basically is compared AoK's where beliefs are formed through subjective WoK's and one from objective WoK's, and shown how the nature of evidence varies in different areas based on this and how it makes it difficult to compare them, and then I looked at the implications of subjective/objective evidence in different AoK's. So basically I make distinctions and connections between different AoK's and the nature of evidence in them, and then I basically say that they all need evidence to the extent that their beliefs are required to be supported and this varies depending on the degree of subjectivity and objectivity.

I'm really worried that this isn't a viable way of answering the essay but I think that defining evidence in one way could really limit the essay. It is ok to answer essays like this?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I also choose this topic but my TOK teacher always murmurs about my reasoning skill. She tells me to explain more whereas I hate explaining my ideas in words. What could you suggest me to improve my TOK skill while working on this title?

Edited by LaFin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's funny. You chose the title about evidence when you don't like showing evidence for your arguments in your essay? =)

This is probably too late, but I think personal examples are the best. When you're trying to prove a point, if you give an anecdote--a little story from your life--then you don't have to be formal and you've shown that you can relate TOK to your life.

Basically when you say something, you need to examine when it's valid and when it's not. Explore the holes in your statement and make them your counterclaims. Show examples for everything you say. The more emphasis you give to one thing, the more likely it is you'll go off on a tangent in that direction, so be careful.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

So I just picked a topic for the TOK essay (which is shown in the title), and just had some questions about it.

So the different areas of knowledge that I will be using are the Sciences (probably natural) and history. In each of the areas of knowledge, I will compare and contrast the use of perception and reasoning for the sciences and history. My teacher says that this is okay, but I am kinda stuck here. The topic says that I have to talk about the limitations for different areas of knowledge, as it says "to what extent", yet I am doing the essay on the different types of evidence used for the different areas of knowledge. Is what I am doing correct?

Any help is appreciated =D

You're fine.

Talking about the limitations of perception and reason will segue into the types and strength of evidence you need based on the different characteristics of the different areas of knowledge, including their limitations. But don't feel limited to talking about limitations only. You can talk about the benefits of reason and perception as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing title number 4 from the tok list for nov 2010

I am going to talk about religion natural sciences and history as areas of knowledge

I need help to relation those areas of knowledge with some ways of knowing!!!

I know religion is no there in the diagram as a aok but i am going to considerate it as one. Can you also give me some ideas to support religion as an area of knowledge!!???

Please i need your help my tok course was not that good!

Thanks

I am doing title number 4 from the tok list for nov 2010

I am going to talk about religion natural sciences and history as areas of knowledge

I need help to relation those areas of knowledge with some ways of knowing!!!

I know religion is no there in the diagram as a aok but i am going to considerate it as one. Can you also give me some ideas to support religion as an area of knowledge!!???

Please i need your help my tok course was not that good!

Thanks

Firstly, basically all WoK are in all AoK

Secondly, I think it is a bad idea to use religion as an AoK

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so today i handed in my second draft of my TOK essay (by the way i'm doing essay number 4 from the prescribed list from Nov. 2010 and May 2010. My teacher says my essay is just fine, but I do not have any more chances to let my teacher read my essay after this one. So Do you have any tips for final revision of the essay?

Essay number 4 is: "To what extent do we need proofs to support our beliefs in different areas of knowledge?"

Edited by sweetnsimple786
No textspeak, please.

• 1 month later...

I AM DOING TITLE NUMBER 4 FROM THE TOK LIST FOR NOV 2010

I AM GOING TO TALK ABOUT RELIGION NATURAL SCIENCES AND HISTORY AS AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE

I NEED HELP TO RELATION THOSE AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE WITH SOME WAYS OF KNOWING!!!

I KNOW RELIGION IS NO THERE IN THE DIAGRAM AS A AOK BUT I AM GOING TO CONSIDERATE IT AS ONE. CAN YOU ALSO GIVE ME SOME IDEAS TO SUPPORT RELIGION AS AN AREA OF KNOWLEDGE!!???

PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP MY TOK COURSE WAS NOT THAT GOOD!

THANKS

Hey i am also doing the same topic, but i am a little stuck right now and i have to give this think in one week! anyways, you could try to fit religion into ethics, it is what i have done, natural sciences and ethics and ishowed in what cases they need evidence and what cases they dont

• 3 weeks later...

Guys just a tip to those who complain their teacher won't read it, if you have any other teachers (and I mean ANY teacher, whether it be math, english, history, economics, what ever) that like you, try to get them to read it. Or if you are hated by all your teachers (I know that feeling) then let your parents or relatives read it. If someone that doesn't have TOK background understands your points and finds your writing clear, that means you already are on the right track. That's how I did it, and got lots of feedback from friends (and even teachers surprisingly) and when I turned it in to my TOK teacher he said it was very good :P. Hope that helps.

I AM GOING TO TALK ABOUT RELIGION NATURAL SCIENCES AND HISTORY AS AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE

I KNOW RELIGION IS NO THERE IN THE DIAGRAM AS A AOK BUT I AM GOING TO CONSIDERATE IT AS ONE. CAN YOU ALSO GIVE ME SOME IDEAS TO SUPPORT RELIGION AS AN AREA OF KNOWLEDGE!!???

THANKS

Firstly, do not capitalize everything.

Secondly, basically all WoK are in all AoK

Thirdly, I think it is a bad idea to use religion as an AoK

So, its not a truly bad idea to use religion. I was planning on using religion, as well. But remember to use it with respect, because you dont know who will be grading it.

I asked my ToK teacher if I could use religion, and she said it was fine. So I would just be cautious.

THANKS

Firstly, do not capitalize everything.

Secondly, basically all WoK are in all AoK

Thirdly, I think it is a bad idea to use religion as an AoK

So, its not a truly bad idea to use religion. I was planning on using religion, as well. But remember to use it with respect, because you dont know who will be grading it.

I asked my ToK teacher if I could use religion, and she said it was fine. So I would just be cautious.

I would never have thought of using religion as a AoK, but that's because we never covered it as one. But we never really covered ethics either, but I just can't recall ever hearing of it as a AoK. But it might be, I suppose.

• Like 1