About math studies

theodore

Okay, I just have to ask. Do prestigious US universities loathe math studies? I mean, do I have any realistic chance of getting in if I have really good grades, extra curricular activities etc. but I also have math studies? :/ I've thought about studying international relations and "humanistic" stuff. My ultimate dream universities would probably be NYU or Columbia... Also what do you guys think the UK universities think about math studies.

What do you guys think?

Edited by theodore

If the course you want to apply for doesn't require Maths, insofar as I can tell, UK Universities really don't seem to care whether you have Studies or not. Obviously if you go on to do a science degree or some other degree where Maths sneakily finds its way in there despite not being integral, YOU will care (a lot!) that you only have Studies because it'll be harder... but I don't think Universities seem too bothered in the UK.

For US, they don't hate math studies. They want to see that you've challenged yourself [not necessarily in math], and you can do that while taking Studies. If the college does ask for a SAT2 subject test in math, you'll probably want to take the Math I and study for it in advance to prove that you still have a decent foundation in math. Don't worry about taking Math Studies. Just do what you like to do & check they school's webpage and email an admissions officer if you need reassurance.

• Like 1

My university counselor keeps saying the grades are more important than the courses in most cases; she even suggested that I might want to switch around my subjects if I'd get better HL grades! So yeah, if you think you can get better grades in Math Studies than Math SL then stay there! If you're worried you can always check the websites of universities you want to apply to and the requirements of the courses to make sure Math SL isn't necessary for you.