Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ballon

IA
Type I -- Infinite Summation

423 posts in this topic

They've given us a new math internal assessment about infinite summation. But I couldn't find anything on the internet and I really need help because I did not understand anything!!!!!! its deadline is 4 days from now! If there's anyone who already solve it please help me!

Post by: Mahuta

2 TOPICS MERGED

Hi everyone,

We just got our Maths IA and it's about Infinite Summations

Did anyone else get that same IA?

I'm having trouble finding a general formula

Even though I'm getting an arithmetic series for this problem, the formula that I come up with doesn't work properly.

The only thing I know so far is that n = Sn, so every time n changes its value, Sn becomes that same value.

The problem is:

(x ln a)

Where x = 1 and a = any number between 0 and 10 (includes 0 and 10)

And the first term for a = 2

If anyone could help me, thanks in advance.

Edited by hrofu

Hey, I have the same assignment as you.

The general formula is a^x. Your value for a should be the point on the y axis at which the asymptote approaches. Good luck :D

Hey, I have the same assignment as you.

The general formula is a^x. Your value for a should be the point on the y axis at which the asymptote approaches. Good luck :S

How can it be a^x? shouldn't it be ax?

i need to give it in in 2 days and i havent got a clue how to do it....

what the **** do you need to write in the explanation

does any one have any type 1 examples...would be a big help :P

thanks

Edited by Aboo
We have swear filters in place. Don't try to avoid them =) And no text speak either!

Am also doing this coursework.

I've done the two specific ones where x=1, a=2 and where x=1, a=3 but am now trying to do the general sequence for a where x=1 and am not sure how to go about this. I've written this out in full 10∑r=0(ln a )^n/n! but have no idea where to go from there. If anyone could give me some indication of how i'm meant to start adding these would be a massive help!

Thanks.

i got the general formula as a^x but this is valid only till x=3 for my investigation, for different values of a.

so did anyone else too got the same limitation??

Am also doing this coursework.

I've done the two specific ones where x=1, a=2 and where x=1, a=3 but am now trying to do the general sequence for a where x=1 and am not sure how to go about this. I've written this out in full 10∑r=0(ln a )^n/n! but have no idea where to go from there. If anyone could give me some indication of how i'm meant to start adding these would be a massive help!

Thanks.

READ THE QUESTION properly and carefully you will get the answer to the question......

use different values of 'a' too..

i got the general formula as a^x but this is valid only till x=3 for my investigation, for different values of a.

Try increasing the number of terms for summation, this is likely to be your issue. Any positive value of x should work.

What program are you using for your calculations?

Try increasing the number of terms for summation, this is likely to be your issue. Any positive value of x should work.

What program are you using for your calculations?

i am using the GDC...only for calculations although

If you have access to Microsoft Excel (preferably 2007 or later edition) I'd advice you from the bottom of my spleen to use that instead, or as compliment or whatever.

Otherwise as said, when you sum up for Sn increase the number of terms for summation.

i have done this assignment last term...

and to achieve the highest descriptor for the technology.

you will have to use different programmes.. not just excel :)

hope this helps :)

you will have to use different programmes.. not just excel :)

Could you explain the reasoning behind this? I have seen several Maths IAs from my school with 20/20 points and they all have only used Excel.

What do you get for S10 when x=-1 and a=2, 2 or 0'5??

NEEED HELP DESESPERATELY, I'm not sure if i'm writing the formula right..

Is it a geometric series, or arithmetic?

i dont think its either geometric or arithmetic.

None of the rules apply =/

1 person likes this

Hey, I just started doing this same IA and I'm not yet sure how to approach it.. Will the rules of geometric or arithmetic sequences apply?

Ok this is my first IA for my math class and I have no idea how it is suppose to be formatted!!! Can anyone provide me an example? I especially need help on how to write my thesis!!!

Although your teacher is supposed to tell you this, however:

First you have to have a paragraph explaining what your project is about, what you're investigating and finally the method you're using. Also make sure you mention the 'technology' you're using, i.e GDC and whatever computer software you're going to use.

The rest is just up to you, as long as it coherent, organized and wont confuse the teacher or the marker.

Also remember to include a conclusion (some people don't do that), saying what you found out in the investigation and whether or not your method worked.

I'm assuming you were given a paper in which the project is explained and given guiding questions?

4 people like this

The teacher has provided you a question and guidelines as your framework format it as an investigation. Please make sure you have some idea before you post such a desperate call of help

I was told to follow the scientific method when typing out the paper. What really concerns me is the thesis statement. Is it ok if I were to state it like I would in a science paper with a "if...then..." statement?

dude what thesis? Everybody answers the same question or statement. You investigate a statement concerning an area of maths. The titles are prescribed. The IB prescribes 4 titles for each IA type.

dude what thesis? Everybody answers the same question or statement. You investigate a statement concerning an area of maths. The titles are prescribed. The IB prescribes 4 titles for each IA type.

I'm working on the Infinite Summation SL Type 1 task. Would you not call this an IA? If not, then sorry I misnamed it. But I DO need a thesis/problem/question, whatever it is that you wish to call it.

hi, i got the general statement as ax not a^x?? cos if i change the value of a to 2 n x to -5, my answer is -10. when i change the value of a to 2 and x to 3, my answer is 6 and not 8? can someone teach me?

Lilie; No, it is completely different.

maumauman; Are you using Excel or something similar for the calculations? If so, check that there are no errors in your function :blink:

Lilie; No, it is completely different.

maumauman; Are you using Excel or something similar for the calculations? If so, check that there are no errors in your function :P

I got ax as well? I tried with different a and x but they all seem to prove that t9(a,x)=ax. I used Exel to calculate. So for instance, when a=2 and x=10, I typed:

"=((10)*LN(2)^A4)/FACT(A4)". A4 being the n term. I don't know what I typed wrong though 'cause it seem to work....?