Anti-Procrastination Methods

Ashika

The (10+2)*5 method works.

You do work for 10 minutes straight.

Then for 2 minutes, you MUST go play or chat on MSN. You're not allowed to skip it.

Then for 10 minutes, you do work.

Repeat this 5 times, and you'll have done 50 minutes of work and 10 minutes of relaxation.

Now the secret to this, is that eventually, you'll start skipping play time, because you're a rebel and like to break rules. And that's when you go "Oh I get it, this evil scheme makes me hate playtime more than work"

Try it, you'll find that you'll do work voluntarily without forcing yourself to. You just need to force yourself to START.

I've always used that method ever since I started high school. And the great thing is once you are into an essay you don't even realize that you spent 20 mins on it!

• 2 weeks later...

I think sometimes having a anti-procrastination method leads to procrastination/laziness.

"Oh crap, I have to start studying now.

Ahh! Long studying time little breaks. Damn Schedule, gotta follow it! <_<

You know what? I'll just stay on msn for another 10 minutes and then I'll start studying."

I believe the only way to really study and get big things done quick is to just get it to your head and be dead serious. I go to a public library and get down to studying and keep going till I get dead bored, then I go have a walk or go eat, then I go back and study till I'm done or dead bored again and then go out or eat and etc. (PS: Make sure the public library does not have internet ^_-) It works like a charm and all my friends agree. :D The best thing about it is that you can go early like from 10 am till 2 pm studying (with breaks) then from 2 till 2 am you're free to go out or do whatever you want. =P In school days you can do the same but instead of start 10 am you'd start after, say, you have lunch.

Edited by Anonymouser

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the internet is my biggest problem too, that and the fact that i constantly go downstairs expecting to find something fun...

i have this silly way of getting things done, there are obviously subjects you enjoy more so start with the work for the subject you don't like (even if it's due in a week and the other's due the next day) that way you'll get it done and then you can go on to doing the one you like. the rule here is you cannot start the enjoyable work until you're done with the hard/boring one. (if you have a lot, you can do one you don't like, one you do, one you don't..and so on, that way it isn't that boring)

I'm curious, how many people are using this forum as an excuse to put off homework right now? I am, but I'm not doing too badly. Right now I'm trying to do an assigned WL topic. (Hint of advice: Never ask ur english techer for help with ur WL topic. Mine got excited with an idea then ran off with it and said "Katie! You're doing this 'cause IB will love it if it's done well" Last 2 words are the biggest ones there...) I tried most of these things in the past. The do it right away doesn't work cuz I won't understand the assignment right away, will get frustrated and then die. The usual put it off so ur under pressure doesn't work cuz I'm way too slack even under pressure. And working for some time then breaking for others doesn't help much either cuz I have the attention span of a squirrel (which i cant spell @ 12 am) and get distracted by the smallest thing. Ranting @ midnight aside my main distractions are drawing, deviantart, fanfiction, and just zoning out. Any ideas?

Anti procrastination Techniques:

The ones I'm currently using:

1) Work for 30-45 minutes then watch an episode of some series (ie Heroes, anime, Battlestar Galactica, etc).

2) Guilt Trips; the work is not going to get itself done. Remind yourself of this incessantly.

3) I) Self beration (typically works, especially if you have some shameful academic experience to allude to).

II) Make yourself feel bad, how is to your discretion. (I don't think this one is sustainable.)

4) Create in your head an impression that you're working towards something. Some Goal you have a passion for.

--> As you can see these are all emotional appeals.

Thing i've tried in my quest to not procrastinate:

-Meditation, (didn't really work)

-Forcing myself to sit down (when i actually did get to sitting everything was fine. The problem of course, was sitting down).

-Breaking or disposing of the things that distracted me (Games, DVDs). I discovered that the human mind is astonishingly creative in finding alternative distractions.

You can always get your mom to yell at you, but there's no easy way to NOT procrastinate.

I heard that chatting (messenger programs) while working increases office employee productivity dramatically. You might want to exploit that.

• 1 month later...

If u live in a big enough house...

i get one of my parents to lock me in this room we have which is compleatly empty exept for a table and chair (and notes to study from)

the walls are plain white and there are no windows...

its great. 100% no distractions unles u start drawing on the lovely white walls...

and i usualy go in for 30 min then a 10 min brake and then 30 min studing again.. about 3 times that...

Go and work in the library. No computer to distract, all the books you need, quiet enviornment..there is nothing to do except work.

Very true, its pretty effective too... unless you get distracted people watching :D

On that note, that's where I am headed now.

Another good technique is telling your friends... they'll likely help keep you on track.

I'm thinking about telling my friends not to talk to me if they see me on msn at a certain time.

Anti procrastination Techniques:

The ones I'm currently using:

1) Work for 30-45 minutes then watch an episode of some series (ie Heroes, anime, Battlestar Galactica, etc).

2) Guilt Trips; the work is not going to get itself done. Remind yourself of this incessantly.

3) I) Self beration (typically works, especially if you have some shameful academic experience to allude to).

II) Make yourself feel bad, how is to your discretion. (I don't think this one is sustainable.)

4) Create in your head an impression that you're working towards something. Some Goal you have a passion for.

--> As you can see these are all emotional appeals.

Thing i've tried in my quest to not procrastinate:

-Meditation, (didn't really work)

-Forcing myself to sit down (when i actually did get to sitting everything was fine. The problem of course, was sitting down).

-Breaking or disposing of the things that distracted me (Games, DVDs). I discovered that the human mind is astonishingly creative in finding alternative distractions.

You can always get your mom to yell at you, but there's no easy way to NOT procrastinate.

I heard that chatting (messenger programs) while working increases office employee productivity dramatically. You might want to exploit that.

You sound like me. :rofl: Except for that last bit. That bit is not true.

The thing that works the best for me is going to the library. I've found that just being at home isn't good enough because there's too many distractions between my family, the TV, the kitchen, and my laptop. When I'm at the librarty, though, it's always quiet and much fewer distractions...plus facebook is blocked there ;)