What do you think? - My SAT, and predicted score...

IBFearless

Hey everyone!

Background about me - i'm a junior, i'm doing IB...

So, I took a practice SAT, not the PSAT, but a practice round of SAT with some friends. This was my first experience taking it, and scored 1850 on it.

I'm doing the following, and expect to be predicted whats beside them.

HL:

Maths - 5/6

English - 6/7

Econ - 6/7

Computer Science - 7

SL:

Bio - 6/7

French - 4/5

Psych - 5/6

What sort of universities do you think I'll be able to apply to, with a realistic chance of getting in? I'm planning on doing a double major in computer science and business, with a possible minor in social psychology.

Thanks!

EDIT --

I'm pretty active in our school with extracurricular activities, I'm the president of a few clubs, take part in other clubs as well. I do a lot of community service and general fundraising.

I'm mainly thinking about Canada and USA.

I have a few places in mind such as:

USA:

Columbia

Berkeley

Stanford

UCLA

NYU

CANADA:

Uni of Toronto

Uni of British Columbia

Uni of York

Edited by IBFearless

You might want to be a little bit more directional -- like which countries are you thinking of going to? Also, nobody can really predict your realistic chance of getting in as a lot of it is dependent on the other stuff you do outside of IB, not just the sorts of grades you get, so it's a bit of an unanswerable question. It would make more sense perhaps to ask where the best places are for what you want to do.

Overall, it's much more practical for you to look around and come up with a shortlist than for us to list every University in the world you might possibly get into! For a start that would require somebody researching those places where they offer the degree you'd like to do, and it makes far more sense for that person doing the research to be you than to be us! :rofl:

Your grades are average to good however in all honesty your SATs are not great. If you have amazing extracurriculars/recs/essays then you may be able to get into those schools (very highly ranked) but they'll be reaches and if you don't then it'll be unlikely imho. I'd say work hard and try to get the SATs at least past 2000 if you want a decent shot at any of these schools.

Edited by masochist

Stanford is really hard to get into, from what I know. Several of my friends and I applied, and it was hard. I assume Columbia is slightly easier than Stanford, though don't quote me on that! I think you can get into UCLA, Berkley, and NYU if you do keep working on your SATs [you've got time! 1850 is fine for a practice one... just work hard. A 2000+ would be nice =)] and keep up the leadership/initiative/service/creativity. Show your strengths in one or two of those areas and really explore them, and you'll be good. Do you know if you can pay for these schools if you get in?

Also, if you can explore your interests [CS or business] and show these colleges that you're a go-getter, then they'll be impressed. Like taking extra classes in your area of interest or developing some entrepreneurial skills or interning at a place that relates to CS or biz or something along those lines...

Like Sandwich said, a number of factors play into the admissions process. What I'm talking about is how to make you a good candidate. I thought of myself as a borderline candidate for my schools because I had the scores, grades/GPA, and extracurriculars. So my teacher recommendations, essays, and interview would play a factor. Plus just my personality. MIT says something like this: You know yourself. We [the admissions officers] know our school and campus. We're looking for the best fit. If you get in, we think you'll be happy here. If you don't, then we think others will fit here better. Maybe your fit isn't quite right. If you came here, you might not be happy.

It's really a lot of factors, but remember one thing... Your ambition plays a large role. Listen to caution, but don't give up :D Good luck!

To be honest I think you should work on your SAT a bit (get it up to about 2000) and get the upper end of those grades for a good shot at the really selective uni's. In addition displaying a passion or leadership skills is important. At top schools most people applying have excellent stats, so a great essay or really developing your interests (taking classes, etc) can set you apart :)It's always somewhat of a gamble.

That being said, I definitely think you have a shot at those schools but pick some safeties just in case :D

i would like to suggest what everyone has said get good marks in ur sat..!! i also had 1850 in my sat and 790 in my sat 2 chem 740 in maths 2 and 740 phy sat subject test..!! so to be very relaisitic i got a reject frm ucla..!! i had predicted of 37 points..~~ so please give sat 1 again try for 2000..!! tat wuld be enough.!! good luck..!!