How is this topic for my TOK Oral - Pope not acting against pedophile?

asian

Its about Pope Benedict XVI and how he failed to act against a known pedophile priest, who allegedly abused over 200 deaf children in the deaf children school which he was heading for over 20 years from 1950-74.

Some of the abused victims are finally speaking about it but the Vatican are strongly denying it.

Heres a link to the article if you have any time to scan trough it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1260536/Pope-implicated-cover-paedophile-priest-sex-abuse-200-deaf-boys.html

--------------------

Im gonna focus on how valid are the claims that defend the pope and how they say he knew about it.

But im having a hard time trying to link it to myself personally.

Thanks

That does indeed sound like an interesting topic. However, the one thing I'd recommend is to stick close to the actual knowledge issues of your topic. The TOK presentation is supposed to be something that's done on knowledge, and I'd have to say that they commonly end up developing into ethical, moral or religious issues instead of what it should be: a thoughtful discussion and analysis on and of the knowledge claims of the whole matter. By what you've stated in your post, I'm sure that you're already well aware of that.

• 1 month later...

Your topic is definitely a worthwhile ToK knowledge issue. and it is quite clear that the way you are going to handle and examine it will be from various AoKs. As for bringing a personal connection with it, it can easily be manipulated, for example you can use logic and reasoning to deduce that The church's tolerance towards immoral conduct will possibly lead to the escalation of documented assaults. This for you as a knower will change the entire way the ethics area of knowledge be viewed mainly due to the fact that many relate religion with ethics but will perhaps contradict your set of values which will create a clash between you and many others who choose to turn a blind eye on pedophiles.

I did my practice ToK presentation on cloning and I related it through saying that I will be a future citizen of the world in which cloning may become a laboratory practice and as such my decision as a knower of whether to accept cloning will be shaped by my understanding of what cloning is, as well as acknowledging the existence of two contrasting views of the issue, and identifying the scientific aspects of cloning. This will help me in figuring out my future route.