Type II -- Population Trends in China

Karl H T

Hello to everybody!

I am nearly finished with this one, only wondering whether it is better to include graphs that show grids or ones that do not. Does that makes any difference whatsoever?

grids.png

hi,

did you choose a logistic graph straight away when looking at the data points or did you choose something different and then change when you saw the researchers model?

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HEEEEEELP!!!

its urgent!

IF I'M GIVING MORE INFORMATION THAN I SHOULD, PLEASE SOMEONE DELETE THIS POST!

i´m using a cubic function to fit the data

i need to solve the following system of equations

554.8=(a)(1950^3)+(b)(1950^2)+©1950+(d)

729.2=(a)(1965^3)+(b)(1965^2)+©1965+(d)

998.9=(a)(1980^3)+(b)(1980^2)+©1980+(d)

1220.5=(a)(1995^3)+(b)(1995^2)+©1995+(d)

since i have 4 points from a data and the cubic function (f(x)=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d)

But every time i try to do it in the calculator, rather using augmented matrix method or inverse matrix method, it doesnt work...

it should give smth like

1 0 0 0 (answer for a)

0 1 0 0 (answer for b)

0 0 1 0 (answer for c)

0 0 0 1 (answer for d)

but instead it gives

1 0 0 (a number) 0

0 1 0 (a number) 0

0 0 1 (a number) 0

0 0 0 (-----0------) 1

i'm going nuts bc this project is due monday!

i would really appreciate somebody's help.

Thank you!

• Like 4

i got the same ia too on monday! and its due in two weeks! I used autograph to do my previous practice ia's for math but my trial has run out! AND IM IN DESPERATE NEED for a suggestion of an equivalent to autograph or maybe even the serial number. Excel's alright for me but im a mac user so excel is quite horrid. so could someone recommend a software i could use? ID REALLY APPRECIATE IT!(:

i got the same ia too on monday! and its due in two weeks! I used autograph to do my previous practice ia's for math but my trial has run out! AND IM IN DESPERATE NEED for a suggestion of an equivalent to autograph or maybe even the serial number. Excel's alright for me but im a mac user so excel is quite horrid. so could someone recommend a software i could use? ID REALLY APPRECIATE IT!(:

Use the grapher function on your mac. use spotlight to find it...

Someone please help me...

So im trying to find the answer to the first part, find a model that fits the population graph and I decided to us Matrix.

I made a 10 by 10 matrix for a polynomial function to the power of 9. So my first row just goes

"554.8^6 554.8^5.... ... 554.8 1" and this goes on for the next 10 rows and columns. However, I got a singular matrix with a 0 determinant.

So i retried it... and retried... 9 by 9, 8 by 8, 7 by 7, 6 by 6, 5 by 5 matrices. And they are all the same result. Singular Matrix.

Only until I reached a 4 by 4 matrix did i get a determinant that was not zero. And I for the graph i plotted from my results from the 4 by 4 matrix, the 3 points are directly intersected by the line. So i don't understand how I can get the (semi) correct answer for a 4 by 4 matrix, but i cant for a larger matrix. Please help...

I've done one Type 2 IA, however I got a very low mark like 8/20, are there anyway that I could push the mark up to am 15 or so, and really stuck on number 3, what kind of function would suit the model the best??

My teacher says that hand drawn graph is essential has well for math IA?? Really?? can anybody help please I need to get this right before Im hand it in this Friday!! :punish:

If any one needs help with this task, I finished it last term, so just ask :rofl:

Got 19/20 points on it, so thats AWESOME :P

I could use some help as well, what function did u use, i was thinking of using wither an exponential (so that the graph never goes below zero) or the cubic (cause if fits great with the points), but i have no friken idea how to find a,b,c,d (in a ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d) or a,b (for ae^bx) analitically... any idea??

If any one needs help with this task, I finished it last term, so just ask :P

Got 19/20 points on it, so thats AWESOME :P

I could use some help as well, what function did u use, i was thinking of using wither an exponential (so that the graph never goes below zero) or the cubic (cause if fits great with the points), but i have no friken idea how to find a,b,c,d (in a ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d) or a,b (for ae^bx) analitically... any idea??

Try Matrices, that's the easiest way to do it. How do you interpret K, L and M ?

Got 19/20 points on it, so thats AWESOME :)

HELP ME!

You kind of have to specify what you need help with...?

Got 19/20 points on it, so thats AWESOME :)

I used an exponential function... what you need to do is look for patterns in the data given. Like how much does the population increase for each 5 year period. Try that :D

• Like 1

If any one needs help with this task, I finished it last term, so just ask :yes:

Got 19/20 points on it, so thats AWESOME :no:

Please i would really appreciate some/much help!!! dunno what its all about... at the moment i don't know where to start! any hints???

thanks

Edited by Mahuta ♥
No text speak please :)- Maha

If any one needs help with this task, I finished it last term, so just ask :yes:

Got 19/20 points on it.

whats the trendline for the original data? and whats the trendline for the newer data?

the newer data being the original data plus the new data

and how do we do this? Modify the model that best fits the IMF data, so that it applies to all the given data from 1950 to 2008. Comment on how well your modified model fits all the data.

please help!

Hey guys, I could really use some quick help. I have spent the entire day simply trying to find the parameters for K, L, and M. I looked at the website that someone attached and it didn't seem to work. No matter what type of numbers I plug in for each variable, the y-value stays the same. I could really use some help! What are the exact definitions of K, L, and M???