Math Studies - Veterinary

Dr. Polaris

I do not necessarily care about which university I go to, as long as their Vet. Medicine/Vet. Science department isn't too shabby.

However, I understand that math studies doesn't exactly look convincing in your report. If I do math studies and get a 6 or 7, would that be better, or should I do math SL and risk getting a lower overall mark/math mark?

I am, in general, talking about the US, UK and Australia/NZ

But the argument is that the you could spend less time in Studies and devote that time to something else. School or another activity.

For the US, a high predicted score would be better. Only catch is the more selective schools want to see that you're taking the hardest courses you can. My friend wants to do Vet Medicine & she said she doesn't need to know any of the calculus she's been learning for the past year.

If you're not comfortable with math, it's fine to take Studies. I personally am sort of good at math, so I wish I could have taken HL, but it doesn't really matter.

For US just work on SATs & extracurriculars, aside from IB.

For the UK, they have very specific requirements about courses for many of the universities, right? I'd look up some schools with nice vet programs and look at their requirements.

If you're doing a Science course, such as Veterinary, I'd suggest taking Maths SL because that gives you a lot of the mathematical foundations that you would need whilst pursuing a science degree. Maths Studies is for those people who aren't great in Maths but would like to get a diploma instead of a certificates because they can't handle post-GCSE maths or for those people whose future careers are completely unrelated to Maths such as historians or journalists.

You'd need to have some mathematical skill, along with a degree of understanding of calculus which you won't get from Studies.

For UK universities, some say you need Math SL, some don't specify. I think I need to do some test called the BMAT, for ANY medical subject for ANY university in the UK.

So aside from the IB, I still need to take SATs? er..what are they? All I know is that they have a multiple choice paper for english..

I (aiming high) literally sent out 10+ emails to top schools, majority of the emails going to Cambridge, and, quoting them, they say

"It is important to know that Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Chemistry are significant indicators when reviewing an application. Many schools only teach Maths at HL and I know subject constraints are somewhat challenging with the IB, therefore SL Mathematics would be vitally important.

A standard offer would likely to be 40/42 with 7, 7, 6 or 7, 7, 7 at Higher level, depending on subject combinations."

"I am afraid that Maths Studies is not an acceptable subject for an

application to read Veterinary Medicine at Girton. You would need to take

the normal Maths at standard level. You should be aware that an offer for

Veterinary Medicine is likely to be at least Grade 7 in Biology and

Chemistry at HL AND a grade 7 in Maths at SL. We would also ask for either

a 6 or 7 in Psychology."

As you guys know, Cambridge is made up of 29 colleges (or 21, forgot), and they are in charge of handling admissions and such. I sent out emails to 4 colleges, and 2 replied so far. From what they're saying, it seems I need AT LEAST math sl. but I'm aiming high, so not sure..

tl;dr version:

studies or SL?

If you want to study science-related subject, you have to do math SL at least because you also need math even in medicine/vet, so you can't get rid of it. Also, UK universities won't make offer with math studies. One of my friends got offers for vet in UK, all of them say at least level 6 in math SL, and it is obvious that there is a huge distance between math SL and math studies, so level 7 in math studies won't be able to get you to medicine/vet. To be honest, if you are afraid of studying math, I assume you don't because you want to take math studies, then medicine/vet probably are not your subjects to study.

Regarding SATs, they are for the US universities entrance test (well, at least most universities require SATs), so if you're not considering applying to US universities, don't bother to take them.