Tok: Poetry!

Kaneele

Hey, hey IB-ers!

I and my friends are going to play with the topic 'Poetry' for our big TOK presentation. I was wondering - does any of you by any chance has any kind of good ideas about a poem we could analyze? Atm we are probably sticking to Shakespeare, but it would be nice if you could suggest something probably better.

Ta in advance! :P

Symborska is brilliant. I love her poems. You could go TOK on any of them. There's a lot of depth. I'd recommend Pi for an interesting read with a clear AOK that you could talk about. Hitler's First Photograph. Could Have. I'm Working on the World :P

Anyways, these poems are a starting place because your topic is so broad. You might not like any of the poems, and that's perfectly fine. You can google poetry recommendations and see what comes up. Are you going to let the poem guide your presentation or do you have something more specific in mind that you want the poem to help with? There are benefits to both ways.

I wish I'd thought of your topic. I'd have gone and read some Dr. Seuss and looked at messages aimed for little kids and grown ups. I recently re-read "Oh the Places You'll Go." It made me think.

Good luck!

Whoa!

Thanks for reply! Really! :P

We will definitely consider these poems tomorrow (as we're working on the presentation tomorrow).

Yes, the theme is quite broad at the moment. However, we have generated like 10 or so main questions we would like to talk about during the presentation. They are mostly - how can we know which is the real interpretation of poem; how can we know whether the items mentioned in the poem are not actually some kind of symbols, etc. Of course, as it's English, not our A1 language, we will talk about how languages make boundaries for our knowledge, etc. I think it will turn out quite nicely in the end!

And, I suppose all of us believe that when we'll find the real poem...it will guide us towards what we want to explore.

Thanks again!

Whoa... we decided on Frost's poem 'The Road Not Taken'... We find it very nice and TOK'sy... :P

Thanks for your suggestions though...They were interesting, but hard for us to understand or interpret sadly :)