IB Diploma Recognition

Abu

• 4 months later...

Yeah, having a certificate should be fine. If you look at the individual university's recognition of IB, it should tell you how many credits they offer. I know that U.S. university websites give information on credit for AP and IB exams, as should others from around the world.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately U.S. universities just don't recognize the IB diploma properly. The best I have seen so far is that four Oregon universities (where I live), give a full year off for a diploma with all 5's or better, which is pretty awesome. TBH, I think that all U.S. universities should give a year off for the IB diploma, though the more selective ones could require higher scores.

• 1 month later...

Im hopefully going to study in Spain... I just want to know EXACTLY the recognition and what do I have to do switch my IB points into sleectividad (the spanish system).. Also any idea about scholarships in or outside Spain!?

You can choose to apply to university either with your IB marks (you'd obviously need to change your marks into the 14-points brand new Spanish selectividad system) or with Selectividad results. I absolutely recomment you to do Selectividad as well as your IB exams because it is said to be much easier than them.

As for scholarships in Spain, you will get none for having the IB Diploma.

You can find further information about scholarships here: http://www.educacion.es/horizontales/servicios/becas-ayudas-subvenciones/para-estudiar.html

As far as I know, if you are interested in any of them, you have to apply for it around April (and cross your fingers because actually getting one is very unlikely to happen).

• Like 1

Im hopefully going to study in Spain... I just want to know EXACTLY the recognition and what do I have to do switch my IB points into sleectividad (the spanish system).. Also any idea about scholarships in or outside Spain!?

You can choose to apply to university either with your IB marks (you'd obviously need to change your marks into the 14-points brand new Spanish selectividad system) or with Selectividad results. I absolutely recomment you to do Selectividad as well as your IB exams because it is said to be much easier than them.

As for scholarships in Spain, you will get none for having the IB Diploma.

You can find further information about scholarships here: http://www.educacion.es/horizontales/servicios/becas-ayudas-subvenciones/para-estudiar.html

As far as I know, if you are interested in any of them, you have to apply for it around April (and cross your fingers because actually getting one is very unlikely to happen).

Sofia, Thank you very much :P .. actually, now im planing to study in the UK hopefully... but thank you for your help. Can I ask you a question.. Why are you taking 4 HL and 4SL ... I only have 3HL and 3SL ??.. Also how well are you doing in Spanish?

Sofia, Thank you very much :rolleyes: .. actually, now im planing to study in the UK hopefully... but thank you for your help. Can I ask you a question.. Why are you taking 4 HL and 4SL ... I only have 3HL and 3SL ??.. Also how well are you doing in Spanish?

Ooops my bad, I shouldn't have written German.

Actually, I am supposed to be studying SL Chemistry but my teacher decided all of a sudden the very first week that we'd learn HL Chemistry because, according to her, the SL Chemistry syllabus wouldn't be enough in order to pass Selectividad exams (I presume she was wrong anyway).

I don't know how whether it works the same way everywhere in Spain, but at my school us IB kids have also lessons in the evening three days a week - that is, from 8:30-14:30 and then 16:00-19:00.

Luckily, I am doing quite well in Spanish. In fact, I find it the easiest subject. What about you?

I'd like to study in the UK as well... where and when are you applying? Do you need First Certificate or yet another title?

• 10 months later...

My brother went to an American University on the East Coast near Boston... he got a year off with the IB and he had pretty bad grades... around 30 credits (out of 120)... it is a small liberal arts college

Endicott College its called in case anybody wants to look it up

• 4 years later...

My bigger question in regards to IB diploma recognition with universities is whether or not you have to be holding your IB diploma in hand before applying to university. In the United States, college applications open in the August of your senior year of high school. However, this is because the majority of graduating American high school students are staying in the United States for university and are typically not pursuing IB. I am not one of those students. I am looking primarily in Europe for university because, as has been said here, it is typically less expensive than American university and I, personally, feel comfortable with the continent having travelled throughout it. Nevertheless, I have spoken to some friends who reside in Europe and who are pursuing the IB diploma and they have said that most European universities won't accept the diploma until you know you have received it, thus many take a semester off as you don't even take your exams until May of your senior year. I really do NOT want to take a semester off (I want to finish university as soon as possible) so I would like to know if any of you can validate this information/simply enlighten me.  

On 28 March 2016 at 11:15 PM, C263135 said:

My bigger question in regards to IB diploma recognition with universities is whether or not you have to be holding your IB diploma in hand before applying to university. In the United States, college applications open in the August of your senior year of high school. However, this is because the majority of graduating American high school students are staying in the United States for university and are typically not pursuing IB. I am not one of those students. I am looking primarily in Europe for university because, as has been said here, it is typically less expensive than American university and I, personally, feel comfortable with the continent having travelled throughout it. Nevertheless, I have spoken to some friends who reside in Europe and who are pursuing the IB diploma and they have said that most European universities won't accept the diploma until you know you have received it, thus many take a semester off as you don't even take your exams until May of your senior year. I really do NOT want to take a semester off (I want to finish university as soon as possible) so I would like to know if any of you can validate this information/simply enlighten me.  

I guess it probably depends on the country. I study in England, have friends studying in Poland and the Netherlands and none of us had to take a semester off. So it would help to specify which countries you're thinking of applying to.