Your Visual Art Theme

lishnaa

For the past year I've been completely into my visual art theme and I've always wanted to know what

other people have picked. :crying:

So this is a space for anyone to share what their theme is and how they decided upon their theme.

Mine is focused upon Japanese art and western culture influencing on Japanese art.

I arrived at this topic because of my love for Japanese culture and the language.

I've explored a large array of different media with all kinds of topics. XD

• 4 weeks later...

I did Identity. I looked at feminine identity, identities dictated by the media, characters in stories, and my own identity. Did a lot of lens-based media: photos, videos, and one stop motion animation. It was a fun time :)

Oh wow :)

Yours must've been really good.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the forum, im so glad to find an IB related site made by students! I'm a senior, and I have to pick a theme for Art (SL)

Please advise me on which one i should choose:

1) Imagination

2) Escape

3) Failure

4) Expression

Any more ideas? :)

I've done 7 pieces already, and more to go! hehe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the forum, im so glad to find an IB related site made by students! I'm a senior, and I have to pick a theme for Art (SL)

Please advise me on which one i should choose:

1) Imagination

2) Escape

3) Failure

4) Expression

Any more ideas? :P

I've done 7 pieces already, and more to go! hehe

Hello :P

I'm sorry for the late reply, I never have enough time to go on this website anymore!

In reply to your question, you should pick it based on how well you've represented that theme through

your art pieces and your visual journal.

I can't really help you with this unless I see your artwork.

Do you have a deviant art account that you can upload pictures to?

I'd love to help a fellow IBer though :P

Best of Luck

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Our teacher has given us three themes so far which we could interpret any way.

CULTURE I explored the cultural evolution of Japan in two pieces by combining ancient arts with new influences by contrasting the great value of tradition and its poise by the fresh, bold and bright new cultural aspects

YOUTH CULTURE I did two pieces on identity and the dislocation of teenage perpection, I also contrasted appearance with what is below through photorgraphs of 60 teenagers between age of 14 and 20

EXTENSION OF THE BODY Probably the weirdest theme by far. Still working on it :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My theme was the future. I started with robots, apocalipsis and global warming, and thank god I could think outside the box in time, and ended analyzing immediate futures such as the Arab-israeli conflict and the Middle East, or the role of technology on the next decade (for example, I sculptured on a keyboard, and renamed it "Lifeboard").

It was a crapload of work! Not only on the actual work, but on the research workbook (since I had the great idea to make 20 pages for each artwork!).

I advise you not to pick such an abstract title in the begginning. Best is to simply set a defined theme that can give you at least 12 possible projects (all different, all with a sub-theme) and in your second year other projects will pop up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in 11th grade and have completed five pieces for Art HL.

For the first five pieces however, our school assigned us themes.

1. CULTURE

For the first two pieces we were assigned the theme of culture. I looked at the evolution of Japanese culture and how the tradition and ancient cultural values have been preserved despite the westernization and the wealth the country has attained.

2. YOUTH CULTURE

In my two pieces about youth culture I foced on individuality and identity with photography, and interactive pieces where I let people write on their own photographs.

3. EXTENSION OF THE BODY

Here I extended this to look at the role of sexuality in our lives.

Now, we get to pick our own themes and I will look at what carries the most importance in my life.

Everyone's topics sound so good!!

I began with the topic of socio-political and historical events in literature. It was interesting but I just wasn't passionate about it so I'm changing to exploring race-identity in Britain, focusing on immigration, ethnic minorities, the working class and race-related crime in London. Perhaps its no so original but i am 10 times more passionate about it and i think that's more important.

Good luck everyone :drake:

• 3 weeks later...

I've had difficulty phrasing my theme in a way which doesn't sound stupid, but basically my work centers around "being small". I've experimented with man's insignificance against nature, being low/insignificant in the eyes of others, ignorance and closed-mindedness, but also more positive views of being small (one of my more recent projects was a watercolor of a palm-sized dragon who burned up a leaf, and was very proud of himself for doing so!) It's something which I've been able to expand in all sorts of directions, without being too vague at all.

For people who arent asked to pick your own theme, I dont think it hurts to try working on a project of your own;

so if you are interested in certain topic, you should really take some time to research on it.

It might turn out to be brilliant! :D

My final theme ended up rather simple, but really interesting. I am looking into "coffee". So I am representing the history, social effects, addictions, etc. of coffee

that is really an interesting theme! love the originality :P

have you touched on latte art?

My theme is going to be "obsession"

Basically things that predominantly drive our actions. I'm going to be looking at different cultures (and mostly sub-cultures) and see what's their impetus for doing things. I'm not sure if Obsession is exactly the best word to describe my focus, but I still have a year to fine tune it.

• 2 weeks later...

My theme is music in videography (as IB Film is not offered at my school) which has been a blast over the last two years. My only fear is that the assesor will dislike that my work is not a traditional visual art form per se. The themes you all have listed above sound incredibly interesting as well. Some others I've seen at my school include: fashion design, the modernization of world cultures, recycled art, text in art, and abstract landscape photography.