Math HL Paper 1 May 2010

IB_delusion

Think I'm screwed too, it was really hard, I tried doing past exams and I was doing ok, but this one seems like on another level of difficulty, and everyone at my school think they're screwed.. I think I might be happy with just 3 or 4 :coffee:

I did TZ1 btw

Edited by Obus10

Ok, I at least feel better that everyone thought it was hard. I also think I'm screwed. I wasnt expecting any of those types of questions?! and they like combine different things? So scared... I think the only saviour is going to be paper 3...

so guys i did the tz2 paper 1 n honestly.. its was a devil paper. All the hard work n evrythin went to waste. if i hadnt given the paper, it would have made no difference still.... but paper 2 was a sign of relief... all hopes on paper 3 now!!

Ok, I at least feel better that everyone thought it was hard. I also think I'm screwed. I wasnt expecting any of those types of questions?! and they like combine different things? So scared... I think the only saviour is going to be paper 3...

I totally agree, seeing everyone else worried makes me feel slightly better =[

They surely must lower the grade boundaries if we all don't do well. That was such a nasty paper.

And I totally agree about paper 3...I have a few days before it with no exams so those days are going to be dedicated to it.

I didn't enjoy it one bit; probably my worst exam ever. I found that their syllabus coverage was poor in the sense that many parts of the syllabus weren't asked at all, where a calculator isn't necessary (complex numbers, binomial, matrices).

I think complex numbers got way more questions than the topic was supposed to. I screwed those questions up badly. There was an elaborate matrices question in P1 Section B as I recall.

The only topics I can think of that didn't get much questions were polynomials and counting principles (combinations and permutations).

I did paper 1 TZ1. Did anyone else feel that there were too many questions on graphing and features of graphs?

There were also just some impossible questions. Did anyone solve the one about the game where player A and B roll a die alternately, and you're supposed to find the probability that A rolls the first six? Or what about the one where a set of ten numbers has a mean of 10 and a standard deviation of 3?

I did paper 1 TZ1. Did anyone else feel that there were too many questions on graphing and features of graphs?

There were also just some impossible questions. Did anyone solve the one about the game where player A and B roll a die alternately, and you're supposed to find the probability that A rolls the first six? Or what about the one where a set of ten numbers has a mean of 10 and a standard deviation of 3?

Well the one with the die i later realised it was geometric progression. first term is 1/6 second term is (5/6)(5/6)(1/6) third term (1/6)(5/6)^4 .... and you do sum to infinity

The one with the mean and standard deviation i managed it it was sample statistics. Its true it was a dificult paper..

Well the one with the die i later realised it was geometric progression. first term is 1/6 second term is (5/6)(5/6)(1/6) third term (1/6)(5/6)^4 .... and you do sum to infinity

The one with the mean and standard deviation i managed it it was sample statistics. Its true it was a dificult paper..

Ah, yeah, I realized it was a geometric series later too. I should have gotten that one... I've done so many like it before! During the exam, I multiplied everything together instead of adding the terms, so it didn't work.

What did you do for the statistics one? I got to the point where 90=sigma(with all the parameters)... but I couldn't figure out how the -12 relates to it.

Ah, yeah, I realized it was a geometric series later too. I should have gotten that one... I've done so many like it before! During the exam, I multiplied everything together instead of adding the terms, so it didn't work.

What did you do for the statistics one? I got to the point where 90=sigma(with all the parameters)... but I couldn't figure out how the -12 relates to it.

At the required summation you needed to make the equation quadratic and then split the summation into 3 smaller summations. Σχ^2 +24* Σχ + Σ(something dont remember) and by using the formula Σχ/n=mean and Var=σ^2=Σχ^2/n - mean (formula book page 5 the two formulas under the Sample statistics) and then by putting the number in it is solved.