Math HL Paper 1 May 2010

IB_delusion

I did TZ2 n tht paper came straight from hell!

All the other past papers i have done were extremely easy compared to this 1...

all i can hope for now is a 3 and with luck a 4 if i do well on the other 2 =/

wouldve loved to get any of the 2009 papers... but oh well...

At the required summation you needed to make the equation quadratic and then split the summation into 3 smaller summations. Σχ^2 +24* Σχ + Σ(something dont remember) and by using the formula Σχ/n=mean and Var=σ^2=Σχ^2/n - mean (formula book page 5 the two formulas under the Sample statistics) and then by putting the number in it is solved.

Ah, well that explains why I didn't understand it, haha!

• Like 1

Well the one with the die i later realised it was geometric progression. first term is 1/6 second term is (5/6)(5/6)(1/6) third term (1/6)(5/6)^4 .... and you do sum to infinity

The one with the mean and standard deviation i managed it it was sample statistics. Its true it was a dificult paper..

Ah, yeah, I realized it was a geometric series later too. I should have gotten that one... I've done so many like it before! During the exam, I multiplied everything together instead of adding the terms, so it didn't work.

What did you do for the statistics one? I got to the point where 90=sigma(with all the parameters)... but I couldn't figure out how the -12 relates to it.

Oh god.. totally did not get it then... Ummm yesss I think they put too many questions on graphs?! Which I did nooot study for because I've changed schools so many times that I like never learned graphs, which is supposed to be easy, so I just studied for harder things that weren't even on the stupid test. No demoivres theorem, hardly any calculus and that vectors questions, I like screwed it up.. Ugghhhh and todays paper did not go anyyy better... well just a little bit.. I don't understand, I don't feel disappointed in myself because I know I studied and I learned a lot, do you think the questions were doable in the short amount of time we have for that test???

Paper 1 was challenging.

Paper 2 was very good. Definitely made up for Paper 1.

crap... you thought paper two was very goood??? =/ hmmm. nott me

Same. I found paper 2 in some aspects a little worse.

I've heard quite a few mixed response for paper 2...that will probably separate out the boundaries I guess...

Also, with the normal distribution question (TZ2), I got a little confused with the wording. Because it said 'after' 21 days. I didn't know if that meant >21 of <21...that was slightly confusing for me. Was the '0.2' area to the right or left?

Ack, I really need a 5 for this ;)

Paper 1 was challenging.

Paper 2 was very good. Definitely made up for Paper 1.

crap... you thought paper two was very goood??? =/ hmmm. nott me

Same. I found paper 2 in some aspects a little worse.

I've heard quite a few mixed response for paper 2...that will probably separate out the boundaries I guess...

Also, with the normal distribution question (TZ2), I got a little confused with the wording. Because it said 'after' 21 days. I didn't know if that meant >21 of <21...that was slightly confusing for me. Was the '0.2' area to the right or left?

Ack, I really need a 5 for this ;)

0.2 was to the right, since the mean was 15 or something, so it can't possibly be to the left, coz then it would have to be more than 0.5

For some reason IB seems to be making the exams much harder for Math HL since May 09 - me and my IB class had the exact same thoughts for paper 1 last year. Expect the Grade boundary to be around 75-100 overall for a 7.

Edited by master135

For some reason IB seems to be making the exams much harder for Math HL since May 09 - me and my IB class had the exact same thoughts for paper 1 last year. Expect the Grade boundary to be around 75-100 overall for a 7.

I agree. It's definitely been harder than before. I hope that the grade boundaries are low.

Guys I'm so confused.

This is the English A1 HL Paper 1 thread, right?

I see discussion about A1 SL, B and even math... I keep checking the tab header to make sure I'm not hallucinating :)

Please let's try to keep math discussions in math discussion threads if they're going to span multiple posts :)

Guys I'm so confused.

This is the English A1 HL Paper 1 thread, right?

I see discussion about A1 SL, B and even math... I keep checking the tab header to make sure I'm not hallucinating :(

Please let's try to keep math discussions in math discussion threads if they're going to span multiple posts :)

The Math HL P1 topic disappeared a couple days ago and here it is :) .

The topic itself is gone but the posts that we posted there are right here.

I have no idea how this happened, but I'm sure it's unintended. Sorry mod :)

Can someone fix this?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...