What subjects are you taking/did you take?

I started IB this year and these are my selectives:

HLs

Biology (fav but it's a LOAD of reading. Don't read, get out of the class :))

Spanish (I have confidence in writing/reading, orals, not so much but it's all practice)

English (this is my subject so it's awesome, lots of writing, but fun :D)

SL

Math (I can't escape it T__T I hate math but I couldn't take math studies since I'm going to the medical field)

Dutch (I'd rather not stress my self with History so I chose this instead. Much easier, well, for me)

Business and Management (I wanted to challenge myself this year but it's pretty easy, so far)

So far, the topics are not hard per se but I just suck at math so nothing to say there :) I like

all my subjects, math to an extent, but I wouldn't change them...unless I had more subjects to choose from XD

Need some help.. XD

I think I'm going to choose:

Psychology HL (I'm really interested, but I haven't got any background knowledge at all...) :hmmm:

Biology HL (I think I want to study nutrition, and then I guess I need Biology at HL)

English A2 HL (English is not my fav subject, but i've heard that there's not a big difference between HL and SL (?)..)

Maths SL

Norwegian A1 self-taught SL

and either History, Peace and conflict studies (though, I'm not sure this will be an option), :) Chemistry (oh my.. both bio and chem? :) ), Theatre arts or spanish B (Don't know how hard this is..). :D

What do you think is the smartest choice? I don't want it to be too difficult..

Math Phy Chem EngB HL

IndoA1 Econs SL

Tbh I wish I could take computer science and psychology. But I have been happy with my current subjects.

:)

@Heysoulsister the important thing is not taking the easiest subjects combination, but it is taking the subjects combination that you LIKE and ENJOY. when you like&enjoy it, it would seem easy. my easy subjects might not be your easy subjects, vice versa. hey why are you interested in so many subjects? my suggestion would be:

Norwegian A1 SL

English A2 HL (does A2 actually fall under group 2??)

Psychology HL/SL

Biology HL

Math SL

Chemistry HL/SL

Taking Spanish B is not worth it unless you wanna go to Spain for uni and then you should do English A1 SL and Spanish B HL.

To be honest, theatre arts do sound fun but you might not really need it for a nutrition course and it doesnt really worth unless you are really interested int that field and want to be an actress?

I have never heard of peace and conflict studies. From the name only, it will not really be useful for uni

You might want to consider history if you are really good at it and might score very well in it. Moreover if it is your favorite subject.

I see chemistry as the best option for ur case since you want to study nutrition. Bio fits quite well with Chem. some option topics might relate to one another. I would say that chem might, yes, be hard as I personally am also struggling in chem; so I recommended you to do SL. But it is really worth it as you can study another course just in case you change your mind, because taking chemistry broadens your option.

However, as I said, why pushing yourself to do something you dont like?? Think through and make up your mind :)

• Like 1

Need some help.. XD

I think I'm going to choose:

Psychology HL (I'm really interested, but I haven't got any background knowledge at all...) :hmmm:

Biology HL (I think I want to study nutrition, and then I guess I need Biology at HL)

English A2 HL (English is not my fav subject, but i've heard that there's not a big difference between HL and SL (?)..)

Maths SL

Norwegian A1 self-taught SL

and either History, Peace and conflict studies (though, I'm not sure this will be an option), :) Chemistry (oh my.. both bio and chem? :) ), Theatre arts or spanish B (Don't know how hard this is..). :D

What do you think is the smartest choice? I don't want it to be too difficult..

Psychology HL: You don't need any background knowledge, but if you do know a little of something, it helps! Any IB course is supposed to be welcoming to students (except the languages and maybe the maths).

Biology HL: Be ready to read. And memorize. A lot.

English A2 HL: I know there isn't much difference between HL and SL for English A1, but I'm not too sure about it being an A2. Sorry!

Math SL: You want to get into medical school, you should take HL, if not possible, SL. I hate SL for some reason, but know I want to keep the option of med school open, so SL is a must.

Norwegian A1 self-taught SL: I never knew you could self-teach yourself an A1, so kudos! And good luck!

Sixth choice: If you want to go into medical school, take Chem SL, or even HL, but having Chem, Bio and Psychology might be overwhelming. Spanish B is for Spanish speakers who have learned the language for more than three years and are familiar with the language. I wouldn't recommend it if you were just starting out or do not speak it at home, unless you can manage your time well enough to learn it quickly and get more experience with the language. Not too sure about Theatre Arts, Peace and Conflict Studies sounds interesting, and History - in my opinion - is boring.

Honestly, I'm jealous of your schedule.

Edited by elmar
  • Like 1

I would suggest Chemistry of Spanish. Spanish is the easiest out of those you mentioned. Chemistry is quite useful to tick the requirements for uni, but the thing is for uni in Scandinavia you need all 3 sciences if you want to study something scientific like nutrition so you need to suss that one out. And you don't need to go to med school to study nutrition.

I'm taking:

Mathematics HL: Started off with complex numbers, which is a strong point of mine (so far), but we are doing vectors and matrices, Discrete Maths (Hear its REALLY hard), Stats and Probability, and Sequences, Series and Proof this year, all of which I suck at or have no idea how to do. Calculus is next year and is my strongest math area, but I guess it works out since it should hopefully be a bit easier next year.

Biology HL: Pretty cool so far, a fair amount of reading and drawing but nothing too difficult yet.

History HL: Really fun and interesting, but I got a 3 on a paragraph about the French Revolution (pre-test type thing) and I have an essay exam on Monday so I better study up to see how I do. It's pretty damn hard as far as I know though

English HL: Pretty scary at first, but as soon as I got Gatsby in my hand and started reading I was able to analyze it pretty well, and though I haven't had a test of any sort so far but my practice IOP is coming up soon . . .

Chemistry SL: Great class, we are learning directly from the IB syllabus and our teacher is trying hard to get us to have our labs fill all the requirements IB wants exactly so we don't lose out on IA points.

Spanish B SL: I like Spanish, but I have no idea how hard this class is going to be and how hard it will be to score high on exams.

ToK: Really fun so far, a great experience, but again, I have no idea how hard assessments will go for it.

Extended Essay: I haven't chosen a topic but I will probably do History or English.

I am optimistic about starting the DP and I hope that it all works out well! :)

Edited by adletaY

English HL - ;) I like English and I think i'm pretty good at it

Psychology HL - :yes: I don't find it that difficult, and most of the course is really interesting, especially social psychology

History HL - :( I find wars very boring, which is a problem for this course, although to be fair some topics like single-party states and causes of war are interesting. There's just so much content I find that History takes up so much time

Chemistry SL - :yep: Fairly simple, interesting, easy to revise for. The IA's were the worst part, but everything else is sweet

Maths SL - :book: Similar to chemistry, I find these two subjects the 'fun' relaxing ones haha. Not liking probability, but calculus and vectors were great and I don't find it too difficult

Japanese B SL - :) This is the subject taking up the most of my time atm along with History. I'm really good at reading so I like P1 but not good at writing so I have to do so much work. Remembering all the Kanji hasn't been too bad but practicing them everyday and learning new vocab is annoying

I'm having my exams in May 2011..omg so much work to do right now

my subjects:

German A1 HL (required in my school)

English B HL (also required)

Biology HL

French SL

Maths SL

Economics SL - absolutely love it!

Furthermore I'm doing as well the austrian graduation.

Bye life, hello school & work!

So last year, I took the following classes:

IB Physics Standard Level

IB English 1 Higher Level

IB History 1 Higher Level

IB Theory of Knowledge / Extended Essay

IB Spanish 5 Standard Level

IB Psychology Standard Level

IB Pre-Calculus

I tested in the bold categories.

This year, I'm taking:

1/2. IB Biology Higher Level (Double Period)

3. IB Theory of Knowledge 2 (First Semester) IB Spanish 6 Higher Level (Second Semester)

4. IB English 2 Higher Level

5. AP Calculus BC (suffices for IB Mathematics Standard Level)

6. IB History 2 Higher Level

7. Independent study for IB Spanish Higher Level (First Semester) Student Aide (Second Semester)

Anyways, so this is my schedule: The specific subjects I will be accounting for my diploma are:

IB English A1 at HL

IB Spanish B at HL

IB History at HL (Asia Oceania; Route 2)

IB Biology at HL

IB Mathematics at SL

IB Psychology at SL

Hey,

I'm going to choose my subjects, and I really would like to know if you regret any of your subject choices and why, or if you don't regret any. :P

It would be great if any of you are taking/did take business & management, ITGS, English A2 HL, Biology or History HL. - I'm going to choose either ITGS HL, B&M HL or History HL and I would appreciate any advice!!

- Thanks! :)

I see you're Norwegian, just as I am. I just want to remind you that in Norway we don't have a lot of history before Videregående / IB. It will therefore (unless you read a lot of history in your spare time) be very difficult. At least my Psychology teacher (who also is a History teacher in the Norwegian school system) said that it was the most difficult subject to have in HL. This is my first year in IB, and I have to tell you that Biology is a lot harder than you would think!

The subjects I took were:

HL:

-Maths

-Arabic A1

-Physics

SL:

-Chemistry

-English A1

-Geography

but to be honest I'm afraid im going to fail in maths :P even though I got an A* in my IGCSE, can anybody tell me how to be confident?? :) and can anyone tell me what websites would be useful for studying or revision at least??

• 3 weeks later...