Tips for A1 Individual Oral Presentation

The IOP isn't prescriptive. e.g. You can give a 20 sec intro on what you're doing; then do the monologue; then explain the significance of what you have done. Someone in my class did that and it sounded really good (but you need to make sure you focus on why your monologue's in the style of the work you've studied).

Guest hellokitty818

Thank you that was really helpful and I did not know that...but what I was asking was that I am doing for my IOP is a skit of a exchange of letters between the sisters Elizabeth, Jane, and Lydia. But I need a way to make sure that the audience is not confused to who is talking. So I said that Elizabeth was looking back at her old letters but I am not sure how to make the transitions.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, if you dont know what kind of presentation to do i advice you to do a creative one :)

Its very fun which will allow you to work hours on it without getting bored or so.

I did in my German Higher Level a monologue of a character shortly before his death, reflecting his thoughts about the world and what went wrong, what he did wrong etc... it was really fun writing the monologue and adapting Schiller's language in "Emilia Galotti" and then i prepared the legitimation of my monologue to prove it and at the end i got 29/30 points.

very proud of myself!

but guys seriously, something analytical is ok too but its really not that fun and you will spend less time on it probably. One girl in my class did a movie and got full marks so thats a good shot too.

Main advice: Just put really a lot of effort in then you'll be fine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have only one piece of advice: Practice

Practice for hours and hours.

I spent something like 8 hours repeating mine the day before it was due and I proceeded to get 28 or 29 (my teacher hasn't decided yet).

Corollary: Walk up and give that IOP like you're the most important man on earth, your confidence will shine through.

Corollary 2: If asked a question you don't know the answer to, bull**** your way through. Better yet, leave out one or two key points in your IOP and answer them in the questions.

Got a 7 on my mock IOP

All i did was;

• Focus on my pronunciation
  • Gave out handouts regarding the discussion
  • The powerpoint presentation has at most 4 bullets that were short in length
  • Memorized what i had to say
  • Asked questions to ensure understanding

That's all ! confidence is the key

My mock IOP was on the use of glass in George Orwell's 1984

Edited by christophertayah

• 9 months later...

Got a 7 on my mock IOP

All i did was;

• Focus on my pronunciation
  • Gave out handouts regarding the discussion
  • The powerpoint presentation has at most 4 bullets that were short in length
  • Memorized what i had to say
  • Asked questions to ensure understanding

That's all ! confidence is the key

My mock IOP was on the use of glass in George Orwell's 1984

I have my first practise IOP on Orwell's 1984 as well :)

I'm doing it on the amusing character of O'Brien

• 1 month later...

I had my IOP on The Devil and Miss Prym bu Paulo Coelho. My teacher said that our topic could not extend more than a single word and he kept calling it 'concept'. I made the use of posters and analysed a key extract of the novel where my concept, change, was most prominent. As per my method of presentation, I had a interactive discussion although only few contributed ideas. :( Idk how I did but i don't know if the procedure is right. Any suggestions or comments on this?

• 4 weeks later...

Would anything be wrong with putting in small jokes in your presentations?

If it's appropriate and you think your teachers wouldn't mind, it's really up to you. However I will say that if it's inappropriate it could go down a bit like a lead balloon. Personally, unless you're very confident that it will be received well, I would keep the whole thing serious. The general tone of the IOP is really fairly serious and you're better off playing it safe than accidentally putting a load of effort into a presentation which then doesn't score so well. Definitely it's great to engage the audience (and humour is certainly a way to do that!) but with this sort of thing just making it sound interesting and lively is probably the way to go.

My english teachers could have been drawn out of a Charles Dickens novel though, a sense of humour was not a job requirement - if yours is more light-hearted perhaps run it past them in advance?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My teacher gave us this list, for people who might find the conventional way of presenting boring :) Thought I might share...

Effective Presentations:

• Dramatic monologue as a character plus analysis
  • Draw on individual strengths. Opening (student created own dramatic- then onto opening of a text.)
  • Could speak in the voice of the character plus analysis and viewpoint.
  • Play musical piece then rationalise with the text
  • Could perform a dance/ body language then link to the poem/ text.
  • Could go through the poem/ text as the central character and link voice to the text.
  • Could have audience as members-characters etc.
Edited by cricketcrazynerd

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Can the topic be biographical? So for example, I chose to do my IOP on the poet William Carlos Williams and was planning to talk about him in the Imagism movement and how this characterised his poetry  and so on. Is this all right, or should it be something closely related to the poetry?

Thanks

Can the topic be biographical? So for example, I chose to do my IOP on the poet William Carlos Williams and was planning to talk about him in the Imagism movement and how this characterised his poetry  and so on. Is this all right, or should it be something closely related to the poetry?

Thanks

It has to be related to literature throughout. So provided you can do that - purely imagism within his poetry and pulling out the examples/analysing them that's great. Otherwise, talking at length about the author or about his role in this movement = not English Lit. If that makes sense. You've got be careful and if I were you I'd read the rubric and keep it to hand whilst writing your presentation. Make sure you don't accidentally stray off topic into a history discussion!

Okay thanks. And do you think it'd be a good topic to do it on the change in his style of poetry and then describe in what ways it changed during the years as he moved away from one style and comparing different poems by him written in different times? And then at the same time talk about Imagist poetry because this was the style he moved away from. Sorry I'm really worried.

Thanks

Is it ok if we only use 1 book for our IOP? I know the rubric says so, but everyone I know is using 2 and are saying that the teacher probably expects us to use more than 1 and connect it? I was thinking that if I did 2 books, I'd have to go in-depth in both the books in 10-15 minutes time, but if I used 1 book I would only need to go really in-depth for the same period? 

I was thinking of using the Great Gatsby and doing how love is interpreted differently be each character. I was gonna talk about their character description, how they interpret love, add quotes to back up the "how", and then why the author has them interpret it this way. Then lead this all up to an overall idea, or thesis. If I needed another book, I was thinking I could probably add The Family of Pascual Duarte or something, but it wouldn't be as strong. I would appreciate some feedback. 

Thanks. 

Is it ok if we only use 1 book for our IOP? I know the rubric says so, but everyone I know is using 2 and are saying that the teacher probably expects us to use more than 1 and connect it? I was thinking that if I did 2 books, I'd have to go in-depth in both the books in 10-15 minutes time, but if I used 1 book I would only need to go really in-depth for the same period? 

I was thinking of using the Great Gatsby and doing how love is interpreted differently be each character. I was gonna talk about their character description, how they interpret love, add quotes to back up the "how", and then why the author has them interpret it this way. Then lead this all up to an overall idea, or thesis. If I needed another book, I was thinking I could probably add The Family of Pascual Duarte or something, but it wouldn't be as strong. I would appreciate some feedback. 

Thanks. 

In my class I think nobody is doing the IOP on 2 works, our teacher advised us its better to do it on one (and I'm sure it makes no difference tbh). But it really depends on what you are interested in. Just because your class is doing it doesn't mean it's easier. :) good luck, I'm sooo nervous for mine!

Thanks. 

In my class I think nobody is doing the IOP on 2 works, our teacher advised us its better to do it on one (and I'm sure it makes no difference tbh). But it really depends on what you are interested in. Just because your class is doing it doesn't mean it's easier. :) good luck, I'm sooo nervous for mine!

ohh ok. I guess so. does my whole topic make sense do you think?

Thanks. 

ohh ok. I guess so. does my whole topic make sense do you think?

Yes, I think it's a really good topic! And there is lots to talk about because you're doing it from different characters. Just make sure to reference the text and use quotes as much as possible. In my opinion, adding another book would not make much sense :/ Good luck!