IB Art retake

aya91

Hi!

So basically, I failed my diploma because I got a 2 in HL math. I recently decided that I don't NEED HL math for anything I want to do later, so I would like to refrain from retaking it because I doubt I'd get higher than a four. However I have been considering Art as a future focus... But I took art SL, so does anyone know if it's possible to retake the art exam in HL? (and then I'd just retake math studies instead of HL) I've been trying to reach my art teacher but he's out of the country.

Congrats to everyone who passed!

Edited by aya91

Have you considered potentially swapping the subjects around? So you take HL Art and SL Maths as a resit-type thing in November? You should be qualified to do SL after doing HL, definitely. :(

As for whether you'd be able to switch to HL, I don't see why not; a lot of this kind of thing depends on the institution entering you for the exam more than anything else, so really you would have to contact your Art teacher and see whether you'd be able to catch up (I'm not sure quite how it works in Art, but generate a bigger portfolio/whatever) and whether they'd be prepared to enter you for it.

What option did you take for Art SL?

If you download the syllabus, you can see the different requirements for SL and HL, both of which have Option A and Option B. If I can remember correctly, Option A requires more studio work, so you'd have to produce more by the time you retook the tests. The same probably goes for Option B as well: you would have to select more pages in your IWB to submit, which may require revision or making additional considering you really want a high score.

Well I took option A, in SL - I was going to retake not in November, but in May (my school doesn't offer november retakes). So I thought I'd just redo the year by making more (and better pieces), and working more on my IWB, then handing that in with next year's 12th graders.