What would you do if you were in control of IB Survival.com

Graeme

Make everyone as a VIP and eradicate discrepancy in gaining knowledge....Why can't IB survival think of it...

To copy my answer to a similar question in this thread a few months ago:

I think everyone should have access to file downloads. Not only the VIPs. If IBSurvival is dependent on the money from VIP subscriptions, they can get a few more ads.

There's a reason for the restriction of file downloads. To quote: "If you do not want to pay for being VIP, you can contribute to the forum in terms of files, such as sample assessments, notes etc. Then we will VIP you at our own discretion when we see that you've contributed sufficiently." Both of these lead to an enriched site experience - VIP subscribers providing the funding needed to keep the backbone of the site going, and VIP members providing the content and aid to other members that keeps the site alive. Ads detract from the site experience, hence why they aren't present on most of IBSurvival - if you wish to become a VIP, paying or contributing is how to do it!

Alefal also provides some additional insight:

I think everyone should have access to file downloads. Not only the VIPs. If IBSurvival is dependent on the money from VIP subscriptions, they can get a few more ads.

In addition to Rahul's answer, it is worth noting that this page is mainly a forum, not a file distribution page. In order to ensure that it stays that way, there has been placed a restriction on the file library and a greater emphasis on the forum. The file library is in many ways an incentive to contribute to this page, either by being helpful or by paying a small amount. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I feel insecure to ask questions because I would have to reveal my topics and such and afraid somebody else might use my ideas. So I was thinking if only those who have graduated from IB are allowed to review my questions for help. 

If I ask for example, what do you think of this topic for this IA? is it suitable or not? I am afraid some might use this idea.

• Like 1

Curate a small library of summarized documents, available to all, that motivates study and research in the right direction, without the depth of the main filestore.

Hey there! That's an interesting thought, actually.. The only problem I can see with it, is that someone actually has to write all these documents, which requires time and a certain level of dedication. Also, if these documents are subject-specific, then they might need to be renewed every now and then due to new curriculae. Otherwise, most sections in this forum contain some very useful threads that helped me out a lot back in the day. Improving, and perhaps shortening some of these (or alternatively provide with a short summary) could be another idea. I know the subject guides are available for everyone in our file library, though, so there shouldn't be a huge problem with it, technically speaking.

Sometimes I feel insecure to ask questions because I would have to reveal my topics and such and afraid somebody else might use my ideas. So I was thinking if only those who have graduated from IB are allowed to review my questions for help. 

If I ask for example, what do you think of this topic for this IA? is it suitable or not? I am afraid some might use this idea.

Hey there!

I can definitely see where you are coming from, but personally, I don't really think this is a real issue. Even if they use your ideas, they wouldn't write the same task as you nor would they get it evaluated by the IB before you. If anything, they would hand it in later than you. The only problem is if you actually post parts of your essays online, as IBO's systems would then record it as plagiarism your essay is evaluated.

Curate a small library of summarized documents, available to all, that motivates study and research in the right direction, without the depth of the main filestore.

Hey there! That's an interesting thought, actually.. The only problem I can see with it, is that someone actually has to write all these documents, which requires time and a certain level of dedication. Also, if these documents are subject-specific, then they might need to be renewed every now and then due to new curriculae. Otherwise, most sections in this forum contain some very useful threads that helped me out a lot back in the day. Improving, and perhaps shortening some of these (or alternatively provide with a short summary) could be another idea. I know the subject guides are available for everyone in our file library, though, so there shouldn't be a huge problem with it, technically speaking.

Hey there!

I can definitely see where you are coming from, but personally, I don't really think this is a real issue. Even if they use your ideas, they wouldn't write the same task as you nor would they get it evaluated by the IB before you. If anything, they would hand it in later than you. The only problem is if you actually post parts of your essays online, as IBO's systems would then record it as plagiarism your essay is evaluated.

Perhaps a curated list of threads by subject, in a document or pinned thread, with a system by which outdated information would be flagged by users and updated by the same, after approval? Pruning could keep everything brief, to the point, and helpful, but the one setting it up wouldn't have to grow everything from scratch, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sometimes I want to make a short comment to a certain post/comment and not quote the whole thing just to say one sentence - e.g. thank you very much. So maybe a little section called "comment/show comments" and then one can type a little reply so not everyone has to go scroll through these things. 

Actually, you can easily shorten the content within the quotation section by simply deleting some of the unnecessary parts. For example, I can quote you like this (without any content at all):

or like this (deleting your second sentence):

Sometimes I want to make a short comment to a certain post/comment and not quote the whole thing just to say one sentence - e.g. thank you very much

or you can even paraphrase a quote like this:

sushichan*-* wants to shorten the quotation..... bla....bla....bla....

So in short, you can simply edit a quote from somebody else just like you can edit your own text :)

Sometimes I want to make a short comment to a certain post/comment and not quote the whole thing just to say one sentence - e.g. thank you very much. So maybe a little section called "comment/show comments" and then one can type a little reply so not everyone has to go scroll through these things.

Actually, you can easily shorten the content within the quotation section by simply deleting some of the unnecessary parts. For example, I can quote you like this (without any content at all):

or like this (deleting your second sentence):

Sometimes I want to make a short comment to a certain post/comment and not quote the whole thing just to say one sentence - e.g. thank you very much

or you can even paraphrase a quote like this:

sushichan*-* wants to shorten the quotation..... bla....bla....bla....

So in short, you can simply edit a quote from somebody else just like you can edit your own text :)

But doesn't that mean I could make it look like someone else has said something they haven't, like this:

I like physics.

.... I mean someone could make it look like I've said something abusive or ridiculous I haven't :/

At the top of the files page it says "Access to most of these files requires a VIP membership." Does this mean that we can access some of them without membership? If it does I think it would be helpful to have those files in a specific section so non-VIPs know where to find ones they can access :) 

At the top of the files page it says "Access to most of these files requires a VIP membership." Does this mean that we can access some of them without membership? If it does I think it would be helpful to have those files in a specific section so non-VIPs know where to find ones they can access :)

Yes, some are available without VIP access. These are available in the "General IB Downloads" section.

Yep I do realize this, but sometimes I want to give a general comment on the whole post! and I don't necessarily want it to become another post because I probably won't contribute anything to the actual topic but just to give a little short description of how I felt like after reading the post. 

Yep I do realize this, but sometimes I want to give a general comment on the whole post! and I don't necessarily want it to become another post because I probably won't contribute anything to the actual topic but just to give a little short description of how I felt like after reading the post. 

Right, I guess you are talking about the format of the stackexchange forum, in which people can make short comments on a particular post. In that case, I totally agree cuz I really like that format too

• Like 1

i think this is a nonsense. please stop putting such idiotic questions. total nonsense site. hahahahahah

If you don't like the forum, or if you don't like the questions, you don't have to go on it.. Nobody is forcing you. But don't say it's idiotic.. Because it is helfull to me..

Enjoy IB.

:huh:

• Like 2

• Graeme unpinned this topic