Instrumentals

Zarfo

Hello fellow IBer's =]

I have recently discovered that my optimum study conditions require purely instrumental music, such as Adagio.

So.. my question is; what is your favourite piece of instrumental music?

I need inspiration people :(

K xx

This sounds like the weirdest thing, but I had a REALLY good chemistry study sesh the other day whilst listening to Gregorian chant.

But yes indeed, I agree that instrumental music + study = MAXIMUM PRODUCTIVITY! Hehe.

As for my favourite instrumental music... for study I usually listen to those classical music compilations that you can get for a really good price at JB Hi-Fi. Like "Night Music" and "Classical Vitality". I'm blabbering on... Good luck!

PS. Chopin's "Heroique"!

Edited by Schrödinger's Cat

Lately I've really been enjoying Yann Tiersen. You'll have to pick and choose with his stuff; not all of it is instrumental. For me, though, even the songs with vocals help me to focus; the vocals are generally not in English, and listening to music in languages I can't fully understand works the same for me as listening to instrumental pieces. (Obviously, as far as Yann Tiersen goes, if you're fluent in French, you'll still have to skip over the pieces with vocals, haha.)

Another genre to look into is post-rock, which is instrumental. A friend recently got me hooked on Explosions in the Sky. God Is An Astronaut is another group that friend likes, I know.

• 3 weeks later...

The best is piece is definitly Dvoraks 9th symphony, but I don't know if it's good studying music. I would also recommend Vivaldi and Mozart, their music ís quite predictable and calm, unlike the romantic composers. Bach's fugas would probably work as well, and Haydn.

• 2 weeks later...

:) IBers don't have to love instrumental music alone though, ROCK ON LOUD MUSIC :)--when the work is done ;D

but for school work, instrumental's surely helpful. I had to quit piano after my level 10 exam cause of IB :(

anyway, I recommend music from Romantic Era, the pure instrumentals of course, cause the operas are just way too dramatic ^^,compare to classical and baroque, it has less form and allows more inspiration, I guess~ Songs that are too structural (and boring) makes your mind messy sometimes.

Liebestraum by Lizt's nice, although I never got time to master it like the exam songs...

Chopin's songs aren't too bad, *Whisper*don't fall asleep... :)

I like listening to a more different type of instrumental music when I'm engaged with the mountains of work my teachers assign. (Probably not what you're looking for, but what the heck)

Explosions in the Sky (kind of distracting at some points in their songs, everything builds up to a climax in a lot of them)

Nujabes

DJ Okawari

Miles Davis

John Coltrane

Blues guitar solos

Instrumental versions of blues songs

A lot of piano renditions of songs

(Warning: shameless self-exposure)

If you're ever in need of some instrumental music just check out this link every once in a while:

http://thesameoldplaylist.tumblr.com/tagged/Instrumental

I think I only have three songs up so far, but I'll add more eventually.

Wow guys. cant stand listening to music that. Mozart and Beethoven is just too boring, and, well.... geeky.

If i am studying, or sleeping for that matter, this is the type of music that pleases me the most:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2DL6S3mQcM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PwyROL-EtU

And Kyleandry posts some awesome piano films on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kylelandry#p/u/10/svQFYkdMy60

But otherwise i listen mostly to alternative progressive metall, death/and black metal. So this is just my soft side :)

Edited by Magnus

• 3 weeks later...