Instrumentals

Zarfo

I find that baroque music helps a lot when studying. Like Vivaldi or Handel, not that i like listening to them otherwise but they seem to be really good to kicking my brain in to gear. Other music either has words or is just too "attention grabbing" like romantic music.

Check this out: http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n15/mente/musica.html

Skip to "The Power of Music on Memory and Learning"

Edited by Sublime Sunshine

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Red XII

I don't usually listen to instrumental music while studying (I can focus well with just about anything except for screamo), but Pachelbel's Canon in D has worked well while I'm writing or doing TOK stuff.

It all depends on personal tastes, though.

Bolero, by Maurice Ravel. Hands down. :P It's nice to listen to and very rhythmic, especially if you're memorizing things. Listening to Firebird 1919 is pretty awesome for Math. And...does Jazz count if it's purely instrumental, because if so I listen to a lot of that too. Especially In the Mood, by Glenn Miller.

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite instrumental (piano) piece is the Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven.

Yeah, me too. I also like Fur Elise and most other piano centred pieces by other composers such as Chopin and Mozart. Also I find that the tempo can have an effect too, slower gentler music works for me. On the other hand things like Carmina Burana and Ride of the valkyries are less productive despite being awesome.

• 1 month later...

instrumental music might help sometimes but i usually just plug up my ipod and shuffle through all of my songs. I like listening to the words at times but in all honesty I use the music mostly as a way to block out the world and surrounding distractions. I can never remember what songs Ive listened to or how many Ive heard. It just drowns out noise and lets me focus. Not sure if Im quite explaining this right, makes sense in my head. (Y)

Edited by Jazmine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well my list of instrumental songs I study/work with....if I feel like an instrumental...

1. Eruption

2. Somewhere over the rainbow/What a wonderful world ukelele cover

3. Everlong cover - Foo Fighters

4. Beatles acoustic covers

5. Master of Puppets Cover - Metallica

6. VSC - Vitamin String Quartet, any songs

Good luck:P

I realize the OP asked for purely instrumental music, however I really want to mention Sigur Rós here! There are very few bands that I find helpful to listen to while homework-ing, and they're one of them. I'm not distracted by the vocals at all, they just blend into the rest of the music in a beautiful way. Try something like Ágætis Byrjun