TI-nspire CAS vs [no-CAS]

math2

11 members have voted

1. 1. CAS vs. no-CAS

• TI-nspire [no-CAS]
    • TI-nspire CAS

Hi!

I've been looking for a new graphing calculator to get and I really like TI-nspire. However, there are two versions – CAS (computer algebra system) and [no-CAS]. I know that CAS is not allowed on IB exams (Math SL and Physics HL that I will take) while [no-CAS] is. [no-CAS] also comes with a TI-84 keyboard and has TI-84 emulator in it. CAS has a lot of more functionalities like solving equations and derivatives, is allowed on AP exams (I probably will take AP Statistics my senior year), and will be helpful in my future math classes, like Calc 2. Some people may prefer TI-89 but I'm definitely not going to buy it. So which one – TI-nspire [no-CAS] or TI-CAS? I really need a suggestion because I'd like to get a new calculator before school year starts.

PS My school has about 8 to 10 TI-83s in math and science classrooms so I could use those for tests

Edited by math2

The non-CAS calculators are always better because they allow you to practice the math concepts, as opposed to relying on the technology. Maybe in university or beyond, the CAS calculator would be better (time-saving), but for now, since you're still learning, you should do it the hard way. You might lose a bit of time, but you'll get faster and more efficient with hand calculations.

My recommendation would be to buy the TI-Nspire non-CAS version.

I have to agree with the above, there's really no point in getting a calculator you're not allowed to use on your IB exams. Knowing how to do things with fancy tips and tricks hurts you when you have to use a less advanced calculator or when you aren't allowed a calculator at all. I also found that it's much more reassuring to write a test with the same calculator I've been using all along, especially because you sometimes waste valuable time trying to look for a particular button or function on the test. I would say no CAS.

You might need a new calculator, if your teacher recommends it or the class requires it. If it's required, you obviously need it because otherwise you won't be able to keep up with the homework/tests/class lessons. Otherwise, stick to what you got.

This is assuming you prefer not to spend another $150 (or whatever the price is). You could always trade your old calculator (maybe some cash as well) for CAS version later on if you decide you need/want it.

All of my class either used TI-83 or TI-84 for Math SL and Physics SL, so if I were you I would use your TI-83 for IB and CAS for statistics. I don't think there is a point to getting an extra fancy calculator (TI-nspire no-CAS) when you're not even allowed a calculator in some exams.

His suggestion is good. No need to spend money and time for a new calculator, when you can fix a working one for $56. Don't buy the CAS one now though, there's a good chance a newer model will come out when you're actually in your AP Statistics class.