Type II -- G-Force Tolerance

basak

what i dont understand is the second part of the portfolio when I'm asked "how well does your first model fit this new data?". The new data is the table illustrating the vertical G-force. Well, I don't know whether there's a mistake in my train of thoughts, but I think it is obvious that my previous model won't fit the new data because i calculated a function for horizontal and not for vertical ?! I'm confused, can anybody please help me?

I realize that this function could either be a power function, an exponential function, and a log function, and I have figured out a couple of equations for the power function, but I have no idea where to continue on from there. So guidelines and help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Not sure, but why don't you graph your functions?

with the data given on my portfolio, using regressions on a ti-84, the power regression seems to work out the best. however, since it's not in our curriculum, many of my classmates stuck with exponential. how would you prove the power model algebraically?

How did you guys get to the equation...?

I just plotted it into Excel and grabbed the exponential function.

Can someone explain to me why it isn't Power but it is Exponential?

Power seems to fit even better too.

And how would you derive that equation by hand...

I also noticed someone talking about R-squared value... what is that?

That is something that I am very confused with as well.

What is the difference between a Power function and an Exponential function?

the general formula is different.

power: a(x^b)

exponential: a(b^x)

I am fiddling with some numbers and trying to figure out the equations, but I can never get one that fits just right. Any tips/suggestions?

And also, once I have figured out my equations, I am confused as to where to start the portfolio!

you should try reading the introduction and background, Ayda.

-you know who this is

I think It cant be a power equation. It can be an exponential or logarithmic equation. exponential will have general equation y=ab^x. Logarithmic equation will be y= a + b lnX .

how would you explain the use of a power function?

say, are there actual applications of the a and b in f(x)= ax^b?

i honestly can't tell any true definition for the differences between a power and exponential function.

Power function is Y= a X^b

exponential function is Y=a b^X

a, b are the constant which you can find out by substituting two points from the data in the equation . G-tolerance graph cant be power equation as the power equation is a parabola.

Edited by Fizzy Dee

having been set this, you could see that if there are only two constants (parameters) then the equation is undoubtably a power function y=ax^b.

However, I have been told by my teacher to achieve full marks in this coursework the IB have said that you need to use 3 constants in your equation, since anyone can plug in values to excel and find an equation from it, which makes things a lot trickier.

Does anyone even know where to start with 3 parameters?

Can someone help me in this IA?

My model is the exponential function, however I want to find the parameters. I tried using Derive to solve the equations, but it doesn't work at all.

Does anyone have an idea about how to solve exponential equations using Derive?!

I would be really thankful if anyone could help, as the task is due next Thursday. :)

Thank you in advance.

Does anyone know how to use Autograph to show plot the points (e.g. how to use a power regression etc..)

To plot the points on Autograph click on Data, and then choose 'Enter XY data set'.

Regressions are only on GDC.

I was wondering if anybody has suggestions for alternative software or technology which I could use to model some data.

I'm doing a practice G-force portfolio.

I heard that excel also works. Does anyone also have any instructions for how I can do this?

Thanks a lot! :D

BTW, if anyone has any tips about writing a portfolio could you please tell me as well! ANYTHING would be helpful.

You can check the thread for graphing software if you don't want to use your graphing calculator. I've also heard of several online/computerized calculators. Excel is good for tables. That's about it. But for the G-Force Portfolio, you need to find the r values (correlation between modeled graph and given points) so you need some way of finding that.

Ok thanks a lot.

Also just another general question, generally with portfolios when can you use technology and when do you have to hand solve?

If it doesn't say 'using technology' then does that mean you must solve by hand or it is assumed that you will use technology for all the questions.

Thanks- I'm quite confused...