How to Study for Physics? Textbooks, Resources and Tips?

Quajafrie

Yep, I use the same book, and it is pretty much single handedly responsible for teaching me physics, and getting me predicted at a 7 as well. Tsokos explains everything in simple terms, and does very little without fully showing his work and giving an explanation. I strongly suggest rereading it once you've taken calculus in math though, it makes way more sense, and SHM stops being tough to understand.

Oh, and for those of you who don't have one, you can get it for like under $40 on amazon if you find a good seller. The only other resource you need is a load of past IB exams.

Yep, I use the same book, and it is pretty much single handedly responsible for teaching me physics, and getting me predicted at a 7 as well. Tsokos explains everything in simple terms, and does very little without fully showing his work and giving an explanation. I strongly suggest rereading it once you've taken calculus in math though, it makes way more sense, and SHM stops being tough to understand.

Oh, and for those of you who don't have one, you can get it for like under $40 on amazon if you find a good seller. The only other resource you need is a load of past IB exams.

yeah our teacher gave us that as well, its like a booklet of old exam questions

Hey IB people, I have a physics HL test next week on mechanics and some thermal physics. I would really appreciate any help with how i should study to get the best mark possible :P

thanks

The easiest way to study for physics, both HL and SL you should look at lots and lots of past papers. Doing these questions and trying to get them correct is quite a difficult task seeing that the mark scheme for many of the past papers is rather strange.

JUST DO AS MANY QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE FROM PAST PAPERS!!!!

Hope this helps

So all last year I've been failing most of my physics tests and ending up with a minimal pass on my report card. I've even tried getting a tutor for physics but it wasn't much help. This year I was determined to do well since it seemed like I was going to get a fresh start but I haven't improved much on my last scores. I know for physics that CONCEPT is key and practicing questions makes perfect but it's so hard to grasp any concept at this point since physics is a blur to me (thank god my school doesn't offer HL). We're on electricity and going onto electromagnetics(?) soon. And I REALLY want to do well on my next test but how far should I go back to understand all this stuff and everything else that we're about to cover? Helpp!

hply crapp 7! niceee... im having my exams in 3 dayssss T_T omg and its on the same day as chemistry T_T

I dont recommend using past papers to study although they do give a lot of idea on how the IB evaluates your understanding. But don't rely fully on them.

I strongly disagree with you mate. Past papers gives you a good indication of how the IB like to examen their students. Therefore it is very important to do many past exam papers, and perhaps also to the questions in the study guide, sometime they are very good.

Cheers mate;)

ps. I'm having a physics test in thermal physics next week. Wish me the best of luck...

So all last year I've been failing most of my physics tests and ending up with a minimal pass on my report card. I've even tried getting a tutor for physics but it wasn't much help. This year I was determined to do well since it seemed like I was going to get a fresh start but I haven't improved much on my last scores. I know for physics that CONCEPT is key and practicing questions makes perfect but it's so hard to grasp any concept at this point since physics is a blur to me (thank god my school doesn't offer HL). We're on electricity and going onto electromagnetics(?) soon. And I REALLY want to do well on my next test but how far should I go back to understand all this stuff and everything else that we're about to cover? Helpp!

Dont know if this is much help but....

Electricity - we practically just recaped what we did in year 10 and did a bit more!

Below is a link....not my website! ..Its just a few notes on the different physics topics!! :sadnod::dash: Hope it helps!

GUD LUCK!

http://homepage.mac.com/stray/ib/physics/index.html

• 2 months later...

One website that our class uses quite often is called hyperphysics. Its good for both in-class learning and out-of-class studying.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

And then a site thats worth its weight in gold is Chris Hamper's IB Physics page. It is absolutely amazing for studying. It's great for pretty much everything pertaining to IB physics. He even puts things like his class notes on topics and practice quizes up.

http://www.rcnuwc.org/ibphysics/index.html

Hope that helps.

Wow, thank you for the site! Seems to be awesome.

What my physics teacher recommends (all science teachers recommend it though) is:

1. get a study guide

2. read the study guide through at least once

3. solve the questions included there

4. if you don't get it, read it again.

But honestly, I think Study Guides really do help.

I also use a study guide but I also heavily rely on past papers.

http://www.chemactive.com/ib_physics_exam_questions.html

Gives you all the papers up till 2005 by topic and actually helped me ace many tests, I create an excel table with the questions and 3 columns and for each question I use different signs if I get the question right or wrong the first time and can easily identify the questions I failed and do them again a few days later.

PS: This site is also useful for biology and chemistry but from time to time there are questions about the old syllabus which you have to exclude.

Read the physic study guides and make sure you get the old concepts first before even attempting to get new ones. Like i mean if you don't get vectors you're in a lot of trouble. Anyways do more questions and just sit there until you get them right.

So, I'm no longer in IB but I'm sure those of you taking physics might know some good sites you use for practice.

I'm also aware there's a thread asking for how to study physics and you all provided links with notes...

That's not what I'm looking for.

It also asks for how to ace a physics test... that's simple.

DO AS MUCH PRACTICE AS POSSIBLE!

Which brings me to this...

I'm just looking for a site with a crapload of physics questions... if one even exists.

Merci!