How to Study for Physics? Textbooks, Resources and Tips?

Quajafrie

• 3 weeks later...

the study guides do help some, but not that much. the most important thing is to actually understand the idea, which is the most difficult part. to do this, dont just refer to the book, use the internet and animations really do help you grasp the message. then do a lot of practise questions

Our teachers give us study guides, but they point out that there are more we need to know than what's in the guide. So you can't just rely on that, and when it comes to past papers, the new syllabus has it first examination this year, so there are no past paper for that syllabus yet.

So all last year I've been failing most of my physics tests and ending up with a minimal pass on my report card. I've even tried getting a tutor for physics but it wasn't much help. This year I was determined to do well since it seemed like I was going to get a fresh start but I haven't improved much on my last scores. I know for physics that CONCEPT is key and practicing questions makes perfect but it's so hard to grasp any concept at this point since physics is a blur to me (thank god my school doesn't offer HL). We're on electricity and going onto electromagnetics(?) soon. And I REALLY want to do well on my next test but how far should I go back to understand all this stuff and everything else that we're about to cover? Helpp!

i was so close into going physics in IB since i am interested in doing BioMedical Engineering, but i just couldt i hate physics and i was never good at it. and if i would take it then would be HL ! no other choice ! well good luck in your IB physics ! and thank god your in SL physics ! its much easier ! this site might help you : www.chemactive.com it has a question bank of each and every topic in physics HL and SL ! good luck ! =]

The study guides are amazing for all the experimental sciences (at least for chem and physics...I've never taken bio). I especially like www.chemactive.com . It has a really awesome question bank, and half the questions on my chem mid-term were straight from there. Using the guides, past exams and the question banks on that site are more than you need to get a good score.

I don't get why you need to know more than the study guide. It says in one of the pages, Everything needed for the IB diploma programme is in this guide.

I don't know either, but we don't get study guides until the second year since "otherwise the students'll think that's everything they need to know". But what's the point of a study guide if it leaves out stuff?

I've got exactly the same problem with SL Physics, and it just isn't getting better. I'm so scared that my Physics grade will bring down my overall score, and I need 39 points to be able to go to Oxford Uni in October...

But I think you should start learning some definitions, then look at the formulae and see if you can apply them. Oh, and all the laws, like Newton's laws, law of conservation of charge etc. Actually, if you look at the new syllabus, it tells you everything you need to know, and sometimes there are some notes in there too; I went through it point by point and made my own "revision guide" with notes that specifically target the stuff on the syllabus. If you have time, you should give it a go.

• 1 month later...
I also use a study guide but I also heavily rely on past papers.

http://www.chemactive.com/ib_physics_exam_questions.html

Wow! This site is wonderful! I've been looking for past IB Physics paper questions, but I've been pretty unsuccessful. Thanks so much :S

EDIT: I hate to say this because it seems so... wrong...

but for electricity and electromagnetic induction, this topic is so separate that it doesn't seem like reviewing other topics right now would help. I hate electrostatics, but it seems as if it's in its own world. You wouldn't mix thermo with optics, so I don't know if reviewing past subjects would help you here.

Edited by sweetnsimple786

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been having severe trouble this year in studying for Physics HL tests. My normal methods which help me get 7s in Math, Chem and all the other areas don't work. I'm not much of the hardcore memorization type, as I know understanding is important.

So how do you do it? I know many people say physics HL is basic and easy, and i know it is, yet it doesn't seem to be working out.

I'd really like to try out some new methods.

Thx, and sorry for the long(ish) post. :P

__

MoonWebber

Well I dunno if my method will help you, but the first thing I always do is understand the topic and that includes knowing how the formulae are derived, if you know how the formula works, you've pretty much understood the concept. Unfortunately, when it comes to stuff that have no formula, then you do have to read through it, but if it's connected with a previous chapter that you understood well, it shouldn't be hard to apply your knowledge and know exactly how it works. The good thing is unlike Bio and Chem, once you understand something, you won't really need to memorize it, it becomes sort of common sense (Most topics anyways :P). Then I would work through example problems and such, although I always found that whatever textbook I get sucks so I tend to rely on other books. The nice thing about Physics problems is that they're sort of fun to solve and it's rewarding to solve the harder ones, plus they sort of have a purpose, unlike maths where it's all solve this, solve that etc.

Sorry if it's just general advice, just sharing my method :)

Side note: As for your severe problem, do you have problems understanding the concepts or just problems solving the problems?

I've had a lot of problems with physics. I changed my method and the last two tests have been much better.

Do this (in this order):

Theory

Definitions

Questions, questions, questions (not necessarily IB questions, A-level questions are quite similar and a lot easier to find). The questions is what is the most important to me that way you shouldn't find anything TOO out of the ordinary on the test/exam.

Well I dunno if my method will help you, but the first thing I always do is understand the topic and that includes knowing how the formulae are derived, if you know how the formula works, you've pretty much understood the concept. Unfortunately, when it comes to stuff that have no formula, then you do have to read through it, but if it's connected with a previous chapter that you understood well, it shouldn't be hard to apply your knowledge and know exactly how it works. The good thing is unlike Bio and Chem, once you understand something, you won't really need to memorize it, it becomes sort of common sense (Most topics anyways XD ). Then I would work through example problems and such, although I always found that whatever textbook I get sucks so I tend to rely on other books. The nice thing about Physics problems is that they're sort of fun to solve and it's rewarding to solve the harder ones, plus they sort of have a purpose, unlike maths where it's all solve this, solve that etc.

Sorry if it's just general advice, just sharing my method :(

Side note: As for your severe problem, do you have problems understanding the concepts or just problems solving the problems?

alright,so really, understanding is the key part..

i'm not sure what exactly my problem is. I'm great at understanding concepts in all my other courses, math hl being a great example. that's how i remember most things. 'cept when it comes to physics, it sort of blanks. not entirely sure, but it's a bit like how i felt on my very first hl math test; i was nervous, and i only got a 6...after that i just treated tests like fun problem sheets, and i've been getting strong 7s ever since. a few perfects now and then.

hmmm. for physics tests, i've always spent long hours reading the textbook, and becoming very familiar with it, but when i reach the test, it all falls to pieces. it's not very characteristic of me... i suppose i should have the same attitude for physics that i have towards math...can't hurt right?

thanks a lot tidus and everyone else!

Edited by MoonWebber

I think the best way to study for physics HL would be to do the past papers as assignments and practice questions. Then also studying with someone else so that you can get to the more theoretical questions and ask them to each to help you know how to explain yourself. This works really well if the other person doesn't understand something and you explain it them. Or just try and explain things to random family members. Thats' what I did. I tried to teach my friend in bio about quarks and gravatational things. It was useful for me, not so much for her. But yes, past IB papers for questions is what I seriously suggest. Also get the syllabus out and answer every topic part. Like explain it fully and answer everything. I found one online and I kind of regret not actually re-doing it for myself. But looking at the syllabus I know that would definitely help.