Best/Worst Modern "Literature" Ever...

Daedalus

Was curious about what people thought about this. Just organized in a poll-like form I guess... and not comprehensive, just some examples. i.e. for me

Best: Ian McEwan's novels

Worst: Twilight series; Eragon series

What do you think? Dissidents welcome... thumbs up if you agree, down if you don't!

I personally find that Eragon wasn't too bad to be on par with Twilight.

-Yes I know this is a year old post-

Best: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Worst: Twilight Series

I found that "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" to be profound and spectacular. The world Wroblewski created seemed very realistic despite the simplistic language.

As for the Twilight series... 'nuff said.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this is sure to show my oddness/childness/totally-haven't-had-time-to-read-a-book-since-IB-started.

Best: Harry Potter, books by Terri Pratchet, and I am falling over Bill Bryson at the moment.

-While I wouldn't consider them good literature at all- in reality they are the most poorly written works ever- I'm a sucker for the plots of James Patterson's books.

Worst: I cannot get over the mediocre writing in Twilight. It bothers me way to much. Plus, this vampire/werewolf thing has to end soon. Everyone knows that Remus Lupin is the best werewolf to ever exist!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really see the point of labeling literature as 'worst'.

Foremost, one should consider the intent of Stephanie Meyer or any other writer who is being challenged. Was her intent to create a series both fiscally successful and entertaining? If so, she has definitely succeeded.

In that case, I do not think her work can be considered literature as her intent was not to create art.

I have never read Twilight - nor do I ever plan to - but I think people should give her credit.

I'm certainly not qualified to declare a modern work as 'best' but some modern works I have read are The Remains of the Day and The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Well, this is sure to show my oddness/childness/totally-haven't-had-time-to-read-a-book-since-IB-started.

Best: Harry Potter, books by Terri Pratchet, and I am falling over Bill Bryson at the moment.

-While I wouldn't consider them good literature at all- in reality they are the most poorly written works ever- I'm a sucker for the plots of James Patterson's books.

Worst: I cannot get over the mediocre writing in Twilight. It bothers me way to much. Plus, this vampire/werewolf thing has to end soon. Everyone knows that Remus Lupin is the best werewolf to ever exist!

You are right! Remus Lupin is the best werewolf ever!

• 4 months later...

13 Reasons Why is a bit simplistic, but wow...only 'fluff' book I've enjoyed. Made me cry.

I loved The Elephant Vanishes; I'm probably going to read 1Q84 after school finishes for the year. Flannery O'Connor is excellent.

I think the worst has been covered; though I loved the film versions of Marcel Pagnol's works.