'Stupid' people in IB?

Globe

Hahaha. So I just learned via Facebook that the "preppy" rich girls are going to be in a lot of my IB courses. It's hard for me to comprehend girls who ask questions like "isn't physics some sort of biology or something like that?" and "is the USA in debt?" taking Theory of Knowledge... -sigh-

What's it like at your school? Do you feel that there are a lot of people who really shouldn't be taking IB courses that do?

• Like 1

Well... I believe everyone should get a chance to at least attempt IB. If they really shouldn't be in the program, then "natural selection" (exams) will drive them out. But you can't judge a person based on the superficial; I mean, who knows, maybe they have some sort of hidden intellect they don't show at first sight.

We had some of these 'stupid' people taking the IB. To be honest, it really depends what subjects they take, but I know for a fact that they (and I say 'they' to mean people matching your description) can actually do well if they pick the right options. I also know that people who act stupid are often actually quite bright :) At my school, if you weren't that academically brilliant, you did Maths Studies, Standard Biology, HL English and either B&M or Economics as one of your HL subjects (or both at HL), or double-languages at HL. I have no idea why, that's just how it was. Anyway, they did themselves a favour as those're all pretty easy subjects and so I don't know anybody who'd I'd say was 'stupid' (by your definition) who didn't get at least 30 points, most of them at least 35.

Theory of Knowledge doesn't exactly require big brains anyway :|

I personally don't think the IB should be treated as an elitist educational programme. Intelligent people can do badly and less intelligent people can do extremely well. Mostly I would say it depends on what subjects you take :) A double-science diploma, or one with HL/SL maths etc. is always going to make people work a tonne harder than a double-language diploma or Studies. That kind of thing. It's the score out of 45 that counts, after all :)

• Like 1

I've always found that school, especially IB, rewards hard work and effort a lot more than intelligence and creativity.

Edit: Isn't it a little pretentious for you to be dismissing other people's intelligence based on a few sentences?

Edited by Grumps

I've always found that school, especially IB, rewards hard work and effort a lot more than intelligence and creativity.

Edit: Isn't it a little pretentious for you to be dismissing other people's intelligence based on a few sentences?

Pretentious? Bleh. Maybe it's just me, but a girl who is 16, drives a Porsche, gets d's in all her courses, doesn't know our nation is in debt, and says she's going to get into Harvard with her low sat score.. isn't who I want to be spending 5 courses a day with for the next 2 years.

Theory of Knowledge doesn't exactly require big brains anyway :|

I personally don't think the IB should be treated as an elitist educational programme. Intelligent people can do badly and less intelligent people can do extremely well. Mostly I would say it depends on what subjects you take :) A double-science diploma, or one with HL/SL maths etc. is always going to make people work a tonne harder than a double-language diploma or Studies. That kind of thing. It's the score out of 45 that counts, after all :)

Neither do I, but seriously, these are like the most annoying snobby doctor's daughters who sit in class and text and skip class and smoke weed, and then they complain whenever we have to read. And they're like, I don't know if I want to take physics or not? Isn't that like some sort of biology?

Ahh. /rant.

Hopefully natural selection takes it's course.

It's not that I think they're stupid, I just honestly think it's a waste to let a girl who took algebra 1 as a sophomore to try Math SL..

At my school, if you weren't that academically brilliant, you did Maths Studies, Standard Biology, HL English and either B&M or Economics as one of your HL subjects (or both at HL), or double-languages at HL. I have no idea why, that's just how it was. Anyway, they did themselves a favour as those're all pretty easy subjects and so I don't know anybody who'd I'd say was 'stupid' (by your definition) who didn't get at least 30 points, most of them at least 35.

I'm taking math SL and English HL too. Sadly, we don't offer English SL or Math HL so I'm sorta stuck with it, even though math is my thing. :/ /offtopic

Edited by Run

Pretentious? Bleh. Maybe it's just me, but a girl who is 16, drives a Porsche, gets d's in all her courses, doesn't know our nation is in debt, and says she's going to get into Harvard with her low sat score.. isn't who I want to be spending 5 courses a day with for the next 2 years.

Do you know that they get bad grades, drive Porsches, and have unreasonable expectations? You didn't include this in your first post, and from the sounds of it you are stereotyping. How do you know that they all complain about having to read or skip class? Even if all you said is true, it doesn't mean they are bad people. Does it really disgust you to interact with people who you perceive to have a lower intelligence than you? Is not knowing the nation is in debt (most countries are in debt anyways) such an important benchmark in a person's character? I know many girls who fit every combination of you criteria, including all of them, and few of them (if any) are people one should have an automatic disdain for.

You don't even have to talk to them that much, and if they skip class all the time, then you won't have to interact with them at all.

It's none of my business but I'd rather spend two years with someone who has a two digit IQ than someone who automatically dismisses people they've never met as worthless.

I think that you are simply saying this because you don't want people (who make such quick judgements as you do) to think of less of the IB program, thus cutting into your ego.

Edited by Grumps

Do you know that they get bad grades, drive Porsches, and have unreasonable expectations? You didn't include this in your first post, and from the sounds of it you are stereotyping. How do you know that they all complain about having to read or skip class? Even if all you said is true, it doesn't mean they are bad people. Does it really disgust you to interact with people who you perceive to have a lower intelligence than you? Is not knowing the nation is in debt (most countries are in debt anyways) such an important benchmark in a person's character? I know many girls who fit every combination of you criteria, including all of them, and few of them (if any) are people one should have an automatic disdain for.

You don't even have to talk to them that much, and if they skip class all the time, then you won't have to interact with them at all.

It's none of my business but I'd rather spend two years with someone who has a two digit IQ than someone who automatically dismisses people they've never met as worthless.

I think that you are simply saying this because you don't want people (who make such quick judgements as you do) to think of less of the IB program, thus cutting into your ego.

On this thread I have to say I agree with Grumps. I understand where you are coming from but I think you are being a bit pretentious. You are saying you are better than these people and that they don't deserve to do the IB in the way you obviously feel you deserve to. If someone wants to do the IB they should be able to do it right? I don't see it as some kind of elitist thing, in my school everyone has to do it. If you think they aren't going to do well so what? It's their problem right? And if these people are like you say they are, maybe a challenging academic program would be good for them and make them start thinking about their life and get them going a bit. From what I've seen so far the people who are typically like that will start to mature a bit when it counts and I'm sure that after a while you won't find them so bad, I've seen it with people I know and in the years above me. People grow up.

I can understand that you don't like these people and that they irritate you, and if they are as you describe maybe I don't blame you. But there are always going to be people in the world like that, and I think you'll find that either they'll grow up, you'll get used to it, or that it just won't affect you. I see why you are annoyed but I think you're being a bit arrogant. The IB is hard, but it isn't elitist, people should be able to do it, "stupid" or not. The "inteligent" ones will succeed, the "stupid" ones won't.

I think you need to calm down a bit and realise it's none of your business whether they take IB or not, and I think you'll find it won't affect you all that much.

Sorry to be harsh, there are people we all dislike, but I think you'll have to be more open-minded and deal with it. You'll probably end up bonding with them in solidarity over Extended Essay woes or your mutual dislike of a particularly strange World Literature text.

• Like 1

Sorry to be harsh, there are people we all dislike, but I think you'll have to be more open-minded and deal with it. You'll probably end up bonding with them in solidarity over Extended Essay woes or your mutual dislike of a particularly strange World Literature text.

I had IB Prep with them. So it's not like I've never met them before? And she didn't know our nation was in debt even after we studied the nation's debt during Bush's two terms for a week. And she's like "oh I'm going to go to princeton! I got a 400 on my math on my SAT! That makes me smart!"

Whatever this is just going to turn into an immature flaming thread, when I started it out in query of a consensus as to the intellectual capacity of students in IB programs, way to go internet, way to go. /lock please.

Hahaha. So I just learned via Facebook that the "preppy" rich girls are going to be in a lot of my IB courses. It's hard for me to comprehend girls who ask questions like "isn't physics some sort of biology or something like that?" and "is the USA in debt?" taking Theory of Knowledge... -sigh-

What's it like at your school? Do you feel that there are a lot of people who really shouldn't be taking IB courses that do?

its even worse when they influence your life cycle and working atmospherecoffee.gif especially when teacher tryes actually to explain some very simple wacko thingconsole.gif

its even worse when they influence your life cycle and working atmospherecoffee.gif especially when teacher tryes actually to explain some very simple wacko thingconsole.gif

Exactly. That's what this thread was about. I remember my History prep teacher having to explain to the girls in my class what the catholic church was. Blarghedeerrg

Exactly. That's what this thread was about. I remember my History prep teacher having to explain to the girls in my class what the catholic church was. Blarghedeerrg

lol check this out,we were analysing Nora by Henik Ibsen on our Bosnian class, so since her husband's name is torvald, one of my classmates (some retard wacko who enjoys in annoying othe ppl-and its a boy) asked: damn,who's this torvaldstfu.gif the worst thing is that,this wacko pal was in my group,i was thinking of easiest way to commit a suicidehang.gif

lol check this out,we were analysing Nora by Henik Ibsen on our Bosnian class, so since her husband's name is torvald, one of my classmates (some retard wacko who enjoys in annoying othe ppl-and its a boy) asked: damn,who's this torvaldstfu.gif the worst thing is that,this wacko pal was in my group,i was thinking of easiest way to commit a suicidehang.gif

:) In my Honors English class, we were analyzing Animal Farm by George Orwell, and nobody else but me realized that it depicted the Stalin era during world war 2, everyone thought it was just a book about a bunch of animals that could talk. >.>

:) In my Honors English class, we were analyzing Animal Farm by George Orwell, and nobody else but me realized that it depicted the Stalin era during world war 2, everyone thought it was just a book about a bunch of animals that could talk. >.>

blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif im gonna have a nightmares again

blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif im gonna have a nightmares again

smth makes me think that im gonna have reaaaaaallly weird dream about the animal farm again,now when you mentioned ithuh.gif

There will always be people in your class that possibly shouldn't be there. It really does suck when they ruin the atmosphere of the learning environment but they do tend to be nice, though a few at my school are nasty just to be nasty. And of course the cheating chains get on my absolute nerves but just think, if they aren't getting anything out of IB now, they will be screwed in college! Simple as that. :)

However, I wouldn't go in calling them rich preppy white girls and using that as your source of disdain. From my experience, there are lovely people from all different backgrounds and many of my friends have a hell of a lot of money but are in no way snobbish or unintelligent. I often see people of lesser wealth acting more high and mighty than those with yachts. Even if you have known them, keep an open mind! IB wasn't created to make you feel superior to people of lesser intelligence, but to encourage you to use a higher level of thinking beyond quick judgements and develop contemporary ideas that help you view the world differently. Or at least that's what I think. :)

I think anyone can do the IB, regardless of intellect, as long as one gets the right subjects and is somewhat organized. But of course I've had people in my classes who weren't organized at all and didn't like their subjects and it didn't go too well for them, I believe.